Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget Gaming PC

Options
  • 29-03-2021 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭

Hello, I'm looking for a pc for one of the kids as a birthday present. All I know is that they want one that can run 'shaders' for Roblox. I think the main thing is the processor (Intel or AMD?) I think it needs to be quad core at least and the graphics card is important of course!!

Can anybody recommend a budget pc that will do the job? I'll be killed if I get one and it doesn't work. I don't need monitor or mouse/keyboard etc.

I'd like to keep under 700euro but if there'd nothing at that price point then I will go to whatever is required!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Flashdan

Hi Tubos,

You can run Roblox on a phone or tablet so a normal PC would be fine.

It can be tricky getting a PC over here with Brexit.

Never got to PC world as they will rip you off and try and sell you insurance etc. Don't be fooled by adverts "gaming" PC's with old AMD non Ryzen CPU's and GPU's with 2gb on board ram.

If I was looking for a PC at the moment I would get this from adverts if it is legit ofc.

https://www.adverts.ie/23332042

For that money new you would only get the GFX card so is seems a good bargain.

The price of the GFX is in the link below. Now it should be around 300 but you cant buy GPU's at the moment.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709%20601346498

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I'd take the boring Dell G5 before I'd buy a second hand machine for the same price. The Dell would like another 8GB to round it out but that's an easy upgrade at any point. It's a much stronger cpu and I'd take the 512GB M.2 over the 256GB+1TB of the adverts machine.

https://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/gaming-and-games/new-g5-gaming-desktop/spd/g-series-5000-desktop/cd500001?view=configurations#features_section

€700 is nightmarishly hard to do right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Flashdan wrote: »

https://www.adverts.ie/23332042

For that money new you would only get the GFX card so is seems a good bargain.

That is really nothing close to a bargain. Dell sell new machines for that price that are not only brand new but have much better components.

The i5-6500 is completely obsolete, a raft of new games struggle on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Thanks for the replies. Yep I know it's a very low budget :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not really that low a budget. The big problem is massive parts shortages right now.

But that build from Dell for €769 is really solid, most particularly for a kid that wants to play the likes of Roblox, Minecraft, Fortnite etc.

Out of those only Fortnite is in any way "demanding", but that Dell would run it at ultra effortlessly.

Great CPU, decent graphics (even for latest AAA games), lots of storage, 8GB of RAM is also plenty for the above, if needs be you can add a second stick of 8GB later to give dual-channel 16GB.

Single channel 8GB hurts performance in some games, but it won't have any noticable impact in stuff like Roblox/Fortnite/Minecraft/similar type games so you would be grand for now.

That Adverts PC posted earlier isn't a good deal. It has an old and obsolete processor compared to the new Dell, and the graphics card isn't much better than the Dell either. It also would have no warranty.

It would be fine at a much cheaper price but €900 is a joke for it in my opinion when compared to pre-builts which are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Went for the Dell. Looks a solid PC. I'll definitely throw in another stick of RAM. Another great thing is that it ships tomorrow and I'll have it in time for the birthday.

Thanks again!

Advertisement