Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Precision 3640 graphics card

Options
  • 29-03-2021 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I got a new Dell workstation this morning the precision 3640. It has an integrated graphics card and an nvidia Quadro p2200. When I switched it on it worked ok. I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from nvidia for the p2200. I went into the bios and switched from the integrated graphics card to the p2200. I then switched the hdmi/displayport cable to the p2200 graphic card port.

Now however the monitor won't recognise the device. I get the following warning "no hdmi signal from your device". I get a red screen that glitches with the dell logo which lasts for about 2 secs and then that disappears and I'm left with the above warning.

Now I can't do anything its just stuck at the warning. I can't get back into the bios to switch back to the integrated card to even get the desktop working. Any suggestions as to why the monitor won't pick up the 2nd graphics card.

My brother in law done most of the above. I'm a web/graphic designer so I know my way around a desktop but I've never had to go near the graphics card before so I'm a little lost on how to fix it.

Its under warranty and I could go on chat with dell but I know Ill end up spending an eternity going around in circles with support so thought I'd ask on here first in case there is a way for me to fix it myself

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Try taking out the GPU and see if it automatically switches back to onboard Graphics.

And afterwards reseat the discrete GPU and see if it works, sounds like its either DoA or came loose in shipment.

Also check if there's an auto selection in the bios, some motherboards can just detect which port your monitor is connected to and change select on boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭shane7

Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I forgot to mention. The desktop came with the wrong cable it came with a standard hdmi but it needed a hdmi to displayport cable. I had to go out and buy one. The one I bought was €20 but it was only a cheap knockoff but its all I could get. The cable was working fine with the integrated graphics card but is it possible the cheaper cable can't handle a stronger graphics card and that's whats causing the issue? The shop where I bought it said it would handle it fine but I'm not so sure now

shane7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback.

One thing I forgot to mention. The desktop came with the wrong cable it came with a standard hdmi but it needed a hdmi to displayport cable. I had to go out and buy one. The one I bought was €20 but it was only a cheap knockoff but its all I could get. The cable was working fine with the integrated graphics card but is it possible the cheaper cable can't handle a stronger graphics card and that's whats causing the issue? The shop where I bought it said it would handle it fine but I'm not so sure now

That's unlikely as the bandwidth required for booting is not the same as that required for more hardcore graphical duties, so if the cable works on one it should work on the other for boot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement