Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longford to Sligo - commutable?

Options
  • 29-03-2021 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here commuted from Longford/Carrick areas to Sligo town daily in normal times (9 -5.30)?

With the roadworks & improvements on the N4, would this be doable daily Mon - Fri when movement returns to normal?

I believe the current N4 roadworks are to be completed in 2022 so disruption should be short term.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Road will be completed this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

When I was in college, albeit, several years, I had a classmate commute daily from Longford town and it was definitely doable for them. Another classmate commuted daily from Carrick and that seemed less of an issue.

In normal times, it's not that slow of a route. Definitely doable in 1-1:q0 from Longford town. Just depends on whether you're willing to commit 2 hours plus commuting per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭dakar

I did Riverstown-Granard for about 6 months, so a bit shorter at the Sligo end and a bit longer (and worse roads) at the Longford end.

It's a fine drive by and large, decent road which will only improve once the Castlebaldwin-Collooney stretch is finished. Carrick can be a bit of a hold up, but you're probably not hitting it at the worse times.

I'm glad I'm not commuting an hour each way any more, but there are worse commutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

What's Collooney to Castlebaldwin like at the moment in terms of delays? I have to go to Athlone next week. Also, is the detour at Tulsk still in place?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Has anyone here commuted from Longford/Carrick areas to Sligo town daily in normal times (9 -5.30)?

With the roadworks & improvements on the N4, would this be doable daily Mon - Fri when movement returns to normal?

I believe the current N4 roadworks are to be completed in 2022 so disruption should be short term.

I know a few people that lived in Sligo and worked in Longford and they car pooled and shared the driving. Saved them money and each person drove maybe twice a week and were passenegers the other days.

Might be worth looking into - might save you some hassle and wear and tear on your car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

marvin80 wrote: »
    I know a few people that lived in Sligo and worked in Longford and they car pooled and shared the driving. Saved them money and each person drove maybe twice a week and were passenegers the other days.

Might be worth looking into - might save you some hassle and wear and tear on your car.
    Car pooling wouldn't be an option in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

muffler wrote: »
    Car pooling wouldn't be an option in the current climate.

My bad - totally forgot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭dakar

sligojoek wrote: »
    What's Collooney to Castlebaldwin like at the moment in terms of delays? I have to go to Athlone next week. Also, is the detour at Tulsk still in place?

No delays Collooney to Castlebaldwin. All traffic is sent onto the parallel distributor road that connects to the original N4, so no delays, other than the very occasional stop go when they're working on barriers/signs or whatever.

Don't know about Tulsk, sorry.

dakar wrote: »
    No delays Collooney to Castlebaldwin. All traffic is sent onto the parallel distributor road that connects to the original N4, so no delays, other than the very occasional stop go when they're working on barriers/signs or whatever.

Don't know about Tulsk, sorry.

Thanks for that. I came back from Tipperary that way last year and it was all stop/go and traffic lights and a diversion via Strokestown.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

I've been travelling that route regularly for the last number of years, Sligo -Longford - Sligo with no issues. Approximately an hours drive. When the new road is finished it will be less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭jt69er

sligojoek wrote: »

Different route.

jt69er wrote: »
    I've been travelling that route regularly for the last number of years, Sligo -Longford - Sligo with no issues. Approximately an hours drive. When the new road is finished it will be less.

Glad to know that. I have to go to Tipperary twice a month and had been going via Tuam , Kiltullagh and Portumna. I'd stopped going the Boyle, Athlone route thinking there would be hold ups. I'll give it a shot again next time. Leaving Sligo around 10 or 11 so traffic shouldn't be too bad.

jt69er wrote: »
    [/B]
    Different route.

Was just wondering if anyone knew. I just had a look at AA roadwatch and no mention of roadworks in Tulsk.

Advertisement