Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equality in the Moderation of threads

Options
  • 29-03-2021 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

How about the mods start taking appropriate action towards posters that continually tell people they are breaching covid restrictions and that everyone should follow their example. Then when posters call out these people for what they are they get warned or thread banned.

So just wondering why Boards is allowing the posters to continually broadcast the fact they are breaching restrictions and what is the boards view/ charter on this issue?

Are the Boards/mods actively encouraging this behaviour because it certainly looks that way.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We allow discussion. If someone is encouraging others to breach restrictions report it. If people are simply stating they do not follow every restriction (and I would suggest it is impractical if not impossible to follow everyone to the letter - take the 5k "rule" for example - that is only for exercise, but we have politicians and even public health officials indicating you must "stay within" your 5km. The letter of the rule is you must stay at home unless for essential purpose or to exercise within your 5km).

That's not even a grey area - but it's one that everyone treats as one.

Equally we have people expressing their opposition to some or even all restrictions. They can do that without contravening restrictions. Whether they do or do not contravene them is entirely up to them. I personally would not "admit" to breaching any regulations on a site like this, but some will and do. If they say so they are admitting to a breach of regulations. Others can make their own mind up as to what they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

So just to clarify. Mods are allowing this admitting of breaching restrictions and when other posters pull them up on it, they are the ones gagged or banned.

Do the mods speak for the boards also, as I said would make an interesting conversation on RTE or likewise that the boards.ie are actively allowing breaching of rules to be broadcast on social media.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Please report any posts you have a problem with and they will be reviewed

But to be clear, the mods do not "speak" for Boards. They are volunteers who give up their time to try and smooth things over on this site

Now can I clarify - are you threatening to go to the press with allegations along the lines you set out above?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Enter name here

Don't over read what was stated Beasty.

I asked what boards.ie view on this matter was, you have stated that mods don't speak for boards.ie, yet mods act on their behalf. I'm confused, by allowing the broadcasting of rule breaches on this platform is that not by definition condoning the activity?

So mods either speak on behalf on the board.ie or they don't. If they don't then how can there be fair adjudication of the threads according to the charter?

The threads have been reported, nothing has been done. I called them morons for breaking rules and was thread banned. Every day there are numerous posts on here belittling and abusing anyone from our Taoiseach, government, HSE and gardi to name just a few. Yet these posters are allowed to continue day in day out with this behaviour. I have mentioned previously admins are supposed to be bi-partisan which I am yet to see a mod on here who is. All mods lean to a certain side and it's quite evident in many many threads.

So once again I ask where is the equality in the moderation on behalf on boards.ie and there charter? Either you allow open insults to go both ways or act on both not just ones from the other side.

Personal abuse towards other users is never tolerated. If you call any other user a "moron" you can expect a red card, possibly a ban. If you cannot interact with others in a civil manner then please do not interact at all

I have looked at all your reported posts (not threads) today. Some have been actioned. Some have not. Moderators use discretion when moderating. Just because someone thinks something is against the charter does not mean everyone will interpret it the same way.

If you feel something warrants action but after some time (I would say leave it a day - we are not always on call to deal with reports), then PM a moderator - please do not head over to a forum like Help Desk before you have attempted to engage with the moderators via PM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement