Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nozebleed wrote: »
    but thats not true..and you know this...from the facts stated during the first 4 days of the trial.

It is true that Floyd repeatedly told Chauvin that he couldn't breathe and Chauvin kept kneeling. If you don't believe me, you can watch a breakdown of the events leading up to Floyd's death.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/eight-minutes-and-46-seconds-how-george-floyd-was-killed-in-police-custody-1.4268506

Chauvin clearly had time to think about what he was doing. It wasn't a momentary lapse in judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Does anyone think that Derek Chauvin will testify? would it be in his interest?

Very much doubt it. His defence already sounds weak enough in the hands of trained lawyers imo, so i can't see how chauvin could possibly make it sound any better. Prosecution would have a field day. Maybe all the note taking he's doing is a sign he might think he's taking the stand but can't imagine his team allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Probably wouldnt be, the media would twist his words and vilify him, best let the lawyers do the work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Has there been any mention of what type of jury verdict is acceptable to the judge, e.g. unanimous 12-0 or a majority 7-5?

If it is a unanimous requirement, there could be deadlock and endless retrials.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Has there been any mention of what type of jury verdict is acceptable to the judge, e.g. unanimous 12-0 or a majority 7-5?

With all the media race baiting I cant even imagine the absolute stones it would take for one of the black jurors to call for anything less than murder, hopefully 7-5 would be allowed so that only 1 has to take the very unpopular decision.

Not that the pressures on the white jurors arent also immense , but there is definitely an extra pressure to ‘get revenge for how cops have historically treated black people’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Unanimous.

"They [the jury] will be required to set aside their personal biases and reach a unanimous decision on Chauvin's guilt or innocence based solely on the evidence they are presented with in the first major U.S. criminal case held during the coronavirus pandemic."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

briany wrote: »
    It is true that Floyd repeatedly told Chauvin that he couldn't breathe and Chauvin kept kneeling. If you don't believe me, you can watch a breakdown of the events leading up to Floyd's death.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/eight-minutes-and-46-seconds-how-george-floyd-was-killed-in-police-custody-1.4268506

Chauvin clearly had time to think about what he was doing. It wasn't a momentary lapse in judgement.

but we know from the eye witness' and the video evidence that floyd was saying he couldnt breathe before chauvin ever knelt on him. chauvin did not kneel on GF's neck for 9 minutes. that did not happen. he was kneeling on his back and his head/neck area for periods but this was not for 9 minutes. approx half the time he was kneeling on GF it was because GF was resisting or struggling while on the ground. whether this is justified or not..that will be teased out during the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭MeMen2_MoRi_

A huge lack of explaining away why Chauvin continued to restrain a dead man for nearly 4 minutes..

But yeah let's talk about George's past, he was high on drugs, he resisted etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Unanimous.

"They [the jury] will be required to set aside their personal biases and reach a unanimous decision on Chauvin's guilt or innocence based solely on the evidence they are presented with in the first major U.S. criminal case held during the coronavirus pandemic."

Getting a unanimous verdict will be extremely difficult.

Although if someone votes to acquit Chauvin, their identity will be on the internet within hours. Could be a dead man/woman walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Getting a unanimous verdict will be extremely difficult.

Although if someone votes to acquit Chauvin, their identity will be on the internet within hours. Could be a dead man/woman walking.

I'd say Chauvin is a dead man walking, no matter what way the trial goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,998 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

When you stop talking and struggling with that weigh on you, you allow yourself to relax......... you breathe out, but once he did breathe out he could never inhale again, not with that weight on him, and a knee on his neck. Anyone would know this, they knew what they were doing, it was clear murder, I mean lot of people told them

'' hey he's stopped breathing, he's pale, he's dying''

Cops were like''' 7 more minutes, lets make sure he's dead''

When you stop talking and struggling with that weigh on you, you allow yourself to relax......... you breathe out, but once he did breathe out he could never inhale again, not with that weight on him, and a knee on his neck. Anyone would know this, they knew what they were doing, it was clear murder, I mean lot of people told them

'' hey he's stopped breathing, he's pale, he's dying''

Cops were like''' 7 more minutes, lets make sure he's dead''

When the bystanders were saying George was struggling officer Tau said "if he's talking he can breathe" yet when he stops speaking/moving there is zero duty of care shown too George as he lay there dying and even when he was dead, the paramedics arrive on scene and one looks to take his pulse and chauvin continues in position with the knee on the neck.. only when he is told to get off him by the paramedic does he remove himself from restraining a dead man.

Case can be made for the resisting, how do you expand that defence out to were he is on top of a dead man? The other cops raised concerns and chauvin said no continue to restrain a dead man.. mind boggles seeing posters here tying themselves up in nots for why that force and inhumanity was justified.

Huge 6'8
    250+ pounds
    African
    Violent criminal
    High on drugs
    Resisted arrest
    Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Chauvin was sticking it to the crowd. He was telling them that he was the boss, and how dare they berate him for doing his job..the man didn’t give a fook that George was struggling for his life under him...

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

walshb wrote: »
    Chauvin was sticking it to the crowd. He was telling them that he was the boss, and how dare they berate him for doing his job...

Which video does that come from.....?

Click in to respond too a post, the post is now gone 🀷ðŸ»*♂️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Lots of posts get deleted .....you'll find them breaking rocks over at the gulag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

he would be very silly to testify ,
    in Americas race baiting media regardless of what he says he will be burned alive but on the other hand , he is screwed either way. even if he got cleared his life is over

I believe that the cop who rightly and legally shot mike brown while defending himself was completely cleared and proved to acted rightly with physical, ballistic and witness evidence had to leave the state , changes his name and job and will be forever labelled wrongly as a racist murder

Huge 6'8
    250+ pounds
    African
    Violent criminal
    High on drugs
    Resisted arrest
    Etc etc

how do you restrain and protect yourself from a
    6'8
    250 + pound
    American
    Violent criminal
    High on a cocktail of drugs
    Actively resisting arrest
    etc etc ?

how do you restrain and protect yourself from a
    6'8
    250 + pound
    American
    Violent criminal
    High on a cocktail of drugs
    Actively resisting arrest
    etc etc ?

Kneel on him while he suffocates under you?

Kneel on him while he suffocates under you?

wouldn't be my first choice but I assumed the poster had a nice peaceful gentle socially racially and media acceptable way of doing it .

• Advertisement

wouldn't be my first choice but I assumed the poster had a nice peaceful gentle socially racially and media acceptable way of doing it .

I think your problem, here, judging by that choice of language is you're getting a bit too caught up in the culture war surrounding this whole incident. Step back from that for a moment and just look at the scene of the incident. The cops were able to pull Floyd out of the SUV he had been sitting in. They were able to walk him across the street. They were able to handcuff him. It sounds to me like they were fairly well able to control him physically before the knee came into play, so why anyone would feel the knee was necessary I don't know. They couldn't just sit him down on the pavement or next to the car and stand over him and watch him?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Weren't they suggesting a few months ago that social workers could deal with cases as such instead of the police? :pac:

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

I think your problem, here, judging by that choice of language is you're getting a bit too caught up in the culture war surrounding this whole incident. Step back from that for a moment and just look at the scene of the incident. The cops were able to pull Floyd out of the SUV he had been sitting in. They were able to walk him across the street. They were able to handcuff him. It sounds to me like they were fairly well able to control him physically before the knee came into play, so why anyone would feel the knee was necessary I don't know. They couldn't just sit him down on the pavement or next to the car and stand over him and watch him?

didn't watch the full body cam did you ?

are you suggesting that race doesn't play a part in this trial ?

Was it a good idea that Judge Cahill refused the prosecution's wish that the trial not be televised to protect the witnesses ? His reasoning behind this refusal was that the courthouse was small and he wanted the people of minneapolis/others to see the trial.....
    IMO I think it was a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gQYMBALDXc

In the raw bodycam footage, they pull him out of the car, get him on the ground, and the knee is applied, and they don't let him go until he's dead. That's despite repeated pleas from the victim.

We all know about America's history with racism, and we know how these types of incidents stir up the media and activist groups, but when you get down to it, and you strip all that away, it's just an inhumane way to treat a person who has already been restrained.

Step back from that for a moment and just look at the scene of the incident.
    The cops were able to pull Floyd out of the SUV he had been sitting in.

They were able to walk him across the street. They were able to handcuff him. It sounds to me like they were fairly well able to control him physically before the knee came into play, so why anyone would feel the knee was necessary I don't know. They couldn't just sit him down on the pavement or next to the car and stand over him and watch him?

George Floyd wouldn't sit in the police car...the police car was contiuously moving because he was struggling and refusing to stay in it....he wanted to get out... and was kicking when he did get on the ground...
    Why would they need to sit him down on the pavement and watch him?? watch him for what?
    He was high on drugs and needed to be restrained.... I don't believe that any police officer intentionally set out to cause any harm to Mr.Floyd.....

If anyone is at fault it's the Minneapolis police dept who have allowed this method of restraint to be used by their officers....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gQYMBALDXc

In the raw bodycam footage, they pull him out of the car, get him on the ground, and the knee is applied, and they don't let him go until he's dead. That's despite repeated pleas from the victim.

We all know about America's history with racism, and we know how these types of incidents stir up the media and activist groups, but when you get down to it, and you strip all that away, it's just an inhumane way to treat a person who has already been restrained.

and at what point would you say he started and stopped resisting ?
    d

the pleas started when he is still sitting in the suv before anyone put a hand on him at all, . and before he got out and looked to try to walk away saying he didn't want to go back to jail.

amazing how some people see completely different events in the same video

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Explain to me what part race played in this incident? What in the video shows this was a racist incident?

and at what point would you say he started and stopped resisting ?
    d

the pleas started when he is still sitting in the suv before anyone put a hand on him at all, . and before he got out and looked to try to walk away saying he didn't want to go back to jail.

amazing how some people see completely different events in the same video

There was no resistance Floyd showed that necessitated being pinned to the ground, knee on back of the neck for that long. At the very least, once he stops struggling, you can have a conversation about releasing the hold, which didn't happen. In fact, there was no sign of when Chauvin planned on releasing the hold. It obviously wasn't when Floyd stopped resisting, because the knee continued to applied even after Floyd was totally unresponsive. Amazing to me how anyone sees that as reasonable behaviour by a police officer.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Explain to me what part race played in this incident? What in the video shows this was a racist incident?

im suggesting that race is playing a huge part in the TRIAL

Advertisement