Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Ah I see the usual suspects have now come full circle. They were lecturing people about burning city's etc last week as they were full sure he was going to get off. After a week of testimony that punched holes in their arguments it's now got to the point where the trial is rigged.

I think the trial is rigged to a certain extent because of outside influences and anyone who thinks that's not true is delusional ...just like I think Minneapolis shouldn't have made a 27 million payout to floyd's family until the trial was conclueded. btw out of curiousity how are payments calculate?
    From what's happening in minneapolis at the moment I also feel sorry for the police officers there/law abiding people.

It was filmed and the accused is a police officer.

plenty of cases filmed/police officers accused throughout the world...doesn't make it a "high profile case"...not many courthouses need razor fencing round them or the national guard protecting the towns either ....think again...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭Doggos

Fandymo wrote: »
    Guilty, not Guilty, hung jury. Doesn't matter. Cities will burn. It's what BLM and Antifa do.

Guilty: there will be celebrations which will turn into looting and rioting once it gets dark.

Not Guilty: there will be riots and looting.

Hung jury: there will be riots and looting.

Are you American? Do you know who BLM and Antifa actually are? Or do you just have your views from maybe media hype?

plenty of cases filmed/police officers accused throughout the world...doesn't make it a "high profile case"...not many courthouses need razor fencing round them or the national guard protecting the towns either ....think again...

Because a man was murdered in broad daylight, filmed which went viral, and in front of a public who couldn't get him to let up or check on him. Because of the casual demeanour of his callousness. Because in that viral footage we all heard a grown man call for his mother. Because the US is reaching a point where its on the precipice of change in regards to a brutal and systemic racist police force going back hundreds of years. People are now rising up and saying no more.

Doggos wrote: »
    Because a man was murdered in broad daylight, filmed which went viral, and in front of a public who couldn't get him to let up or check on him. Because of the casual demeanour of his callousness. Because in that viral footage we all heard a grown man call for his mother. Because the US is reaching a point where its on the precipice of change in regards to a brutal and systemic racist police force going back hundreds of years. People are now rising up and saying no more.

Shows you don't know about the case....how do you know he was calling for his mother???? he also called his g/f courtney ross "mama" ...she testified that in court...
    What people are "rising up"??? you mean Black lives matter????? those that were pictured in Minneapolis yesterday/today throwing rocks/rubbish at Police Officers/inciting police officers/ draping BLM flags across police cars/looting premises/intimidating residents???? that's not going to solve any situation...having a city/state terrorised???? that's not change...

Where's the evidence chauvan was a racist???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

https://news.sky.com/story/us-army-lieutenant-suing-two-virginia-police-officers-after-he-is-pulled-over-and-pepper-sprayed-12272969

Bit off topic...

But you'd think with all thats going on cops would pull themselves together a bit...

On top of this video another one is doing the rounds of a cop shoving snow into a prone mans mouth.

Shows you don't know about the case....how do you know he was calling for his mother???? he also called his g/f courtney ross "mama" ...she testified that in court...
    What people are "rising up"??? you mean Black lives matter????? those that were pictured in Minneapolis yesterday/today throwing rocks/rubbish at Police Officers/inciting police officers/ draping BLM flags across police cars/looting premises/intimidating residents???? that's not going to solve any situation...having a city/state terrorised???? that's not change...

Where's the evidence chauvan was a racist???

The evidence being he incorrectly kneeled on a handcuffed man's neck over 9 minutes without caring about his life and that he was slipping away, already dead and still he would not yield. Further evidence on the whole that the US police force is riddled with racists and has been for hundreds of years.

American's from ALL walks of life are rising up.

You seem quite worked up. Not engaging further with your angry tone and misinformed angle.

https://news.sky.com/story/us-army-lieutenant-suing-two-virginia-police-officers-after-he-is-pulled-over-and-pepper-sprayed-12272969

Bit off topic...

But you'd think with all thats going on cops would pull themselves together a bit...

On top of this video another one is doing the rounds of a cop shoving snow into a prone mans mouth.

It has also come to light a lieutenant (and person of colour) currently serving in the Army was pulled over for a traffic stop, had 2 guns drawn on him, given conflicting orders, told him "good, he should be scared" to get out of his vehicle and then pepper sprayed him twice close range in the face. Put him then on the ground. Those officers are now being sued and last I heard, the main aggressor has been fired. Good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Bit off topic...

why the hell do these people not comply, genuinely ,
    cop : 'get out of the car'
    you : actually get out of the car..
    problem solved.

theres always just some needless disagreement or trying to resist.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,000 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Bit off topic...

The way they act, it's very child like, and they're all like this. So hard to figure it out, the guy was calm, and is serving his country, deserved the utmost respect not pepper spraying.
    They are like little babies the way they acted

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Advertisement

problem solved.

Because as a man of colour he is scared. People are now genuinely afraid of police due to their excessive use of force which is often damaging or fatal. Is that not obvious to you?

I have been pulled over for a traffic stop a handful of times. I have never had guns drawn on me, been screamed at, pepper sprayed, or had bullets pumped into me when reaching for documentation. No one I know who is white has either. I'm white. But some of my black friends have had different experiences.

If you're not a man of colour living in the US, you might find it hard to empathise. Most people of colour, particularly black boys, are reared by their parents having specific conversations about how to interact with police. Their parents, unlike white parents, live in fear of interactions with police. They grow up being subjected to both overt racism and almost daily racist microagressions in society. If you lived a life in their shoes, you would understand.

There's no excuse for police to over-react and use excessive force, especially disproportionately towards black people (men). You see countless video evidence of them needlessly escalating situations. Imagine what happens off camera and before every person had a phone and every phone had camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Doggos wrote: »
    Because as a man of colour he is scared. People are now genuinely afraid of police due to their excessive use of force which is often damaging or fatal. Is that not obvious to you?

I have been pulled over for a traffic stop a handful of times. I have never had guns drawn on me, been screamed at, pepper sprayed, or had bullets pumped into me when reaching for documentation. No one I know who is white has either. I'm white. But some of my black friends have had different experiences.

If you're not a man of colour living in the US, you might find it hard to empathise. Most people of colour, particularly black boys, are reared by their parents having specific conversations about how to interact with police. Their parents, unlike white parents, live in fear of interactions with police. They grow up being subjected to both overt racism and almost daily racist microagressions in society. If you lived a life in their shoes, you would understand.

There's no excuse for police to over-react and use excessive force, especially disproportionately towards black people (men). You see countless video evidence of them needlessly escalating situations. Imagine what happens off camera and before every person had a phone and every phone had camera.

I don't buy that argument.

If one lived in fear of police violence, surely it would be better (safer) to comply with the lawful instructions of a police officer than it would be to resist and act the boll1x.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I don't buy that argument.

If one lived in fear of police violence, surely it would be better (safer) to comply with the lawful instructions of a police officer than it would be to resist and act the boll1x.

Clearly, you don't understand what it means to be in fear and how that impacts people in real life. This man knew once he was out of the car, he could most likely be roughed up and/or lose his life. He clearly tried to calmly talk about it first as the cop was in a rage and guns were out. Have you ever had guns pointed at your head while people were irrationally screaming at you? Easy to type out what you have behind a keyboard and I'm going to guess, never living in the shoes of a person of colour in the US.

not

You have your opinion... I have mine ....actually it's you that seems extremely worked up.....You have yet to show where officer Chauvan showed any evidence of been a racist....other than police officer's carrying out their job in difficult circumstances.... No problem over you "not engaging" .....btw I'm certainly not misinformed..

Please stop responding to me. I have already told you I'm not engaging with you further and yes in my opinion, you are both agitated and misinformed.

It should be noted by some posters on here that Chauvan never held a gun to anyone's head and was called out to the incident as back up.

problem solved.

Why are they pointing guns at people over traffic stops? threatening a guy who says he's afraid to get, saying he should be....screaming and acting insane, there behaviour is ridiculous they just don't seem to be able to talk or deescalate a situation.

Heres the one with the snow, I wonder what justification people can up with for this one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9454143/Bodycam-footage-shows-Ohio-cop-shoving-snow-mouth-man-ground.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭newhouse87

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9458851/Shocking-moment-drug-dealer-39-jumps-truck-shoots-dead-New-Mexico-cop.html

Why cops are also afraid during traffic stops, most cops in other parts of the world don't have to deal with the likelihood a person they are stopping is armed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Its interesting to note how police are victims in these situations.

They are normal people earning an average wage, trained to a certain extent with various techniques in dealing with the public.

In the US, they also have the power of life and death, bestowed upon them by the state and by extension, the public. They have to wield that power with 100% correct precision, even when their own lives are at stake. Im sure they would rather not have this responsibility, but its necessary when some elements of the public are prone to violent behaviour.

This is something you might expect an elite group of soldiers to contend with. But if one minute you're writing traffic tickets and pulling cats out of trees and the next next you're engaging with violent criminals who will likely do anything to avoid being arrested...its inevitable that on occasion things will not go well.

Its entirely obvious to me that as part of a general citizen contract, you should comply with police requests, for that reason alone. Their job is already hard enough. And the crazy thing is...it's super simple to do what you're told.

So why aren't BLM pushing community education programs?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why are they pointing guns at people over traffic stops? threatening a guy who says he's afraid to get, saying he should be....screaming and acting insane, there behaviour is ridiculous they just don't seem to be able to talk or deescalate a situation.

Heres the one with the snow, I wonder what justification people can up with for this one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9454143/Bodycam-footage-shows-Ohio-cop-shoving-snow-mouth-man-ground.html

Im not condoning the end at all but these things always start the same way, resisting and not complying with basic instructions . Staying on the porch screaming the n word and telling a cop youre not talking to him repeatedly is a dumb way to kick off

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

Im not condoning the end at all but these things always start the same way, resisting and not complying with basic instructions . Staying on the porch screaming the n word and telling a cop youre not talking to him repeatedly is a dumb way to kick off

dumb yes, still not deserving of getting shot for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

problem solved.

You mean like this?

newhouse87 wrote: »
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9458851/Shocking-moment-drug-dealer-39-jumps-truck-shoots-dead-New-Mexico-cop.html

Why cops are also afraid during traffic stops, most cops in other parts of the world don't have to deal with the likelihood a person they are stopping is armed.

If a cop is so afraid they really should look for alternative employment, being afraid and constantly on edge waving a gun around the place is a disaster waiting to happen.

You can't assume everyone you pullover is a violent criminal, sure you should be cautious, but they escalate situations like no other police force I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It should be noted by some posters on here that Chauvan never held a gun to anyone's head and was called out to the incident as back up.

Should also be noted that he knelt on the man's neck and back for nine minutes while he was lying handcuffed face down on the ground with two other officers also holding him down, and made no attempt to monitor his well-being or safety even for several minutes after Floyd stopped moving and speaking even as some of the other officers suggested moving him into another position.

If a cop is so afraid they really should look for alternative employment, being afraid and constantly on edge waving a gun around the place is a disaster waiting to happen.

You can't assume everyone you pullover is a violent criminal, sure you should be cautious, but they escalate situations like no other police force I've ever seen.

cops have to be more wary in the us than other places due to availability of guns, just giving an example of how traffic stops can go very wrong for both sides, and btw i think Chauvin should be convicted so im not all pro cop.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    cops have to be more wary in the us than other places due to availability of guns, just giving an example of how traffic stops can go very wrong for both sides, and btw i think Chauvin should be convicted so im not all pro cop.

Id be pro cop myself tbh, id give cops a fair amount of leeway when restraining someone who's resisting, but it has to end when the guy is restrained, can't agree with someone who's kneeling on a limp mans neck, or shoving snow down a fellas throat.

Also in my opinion you can't justify putting guns in peoples faces and threating them over routine stops, I'm aware of the dangers they face but you still can't justify doing that, cops in the video I posted looked and acted like they were hyped up on stimulants it would terrify anyone.

Id be pro cop myself tbh, id give cops a fair amount of leeway when restraining someone who's resisting, but it has to end when the guy is restrained, can't agree with someone who's kneeling on a limp mans neck, or shoving snow down a fellas throat.

Also in my opinion you can't justify putting guns in peoples faces and threating them over routine stops, I'm aware of the dangers they face but you still can't justify doing that, cops in the video I posted looked and acted like they were hyped up on stimulants it would terrify anyone.

Agree in general, just pointing out what can happen, cops in Europe don't have to have that kind of fear fortunately when stopping somebody.

Penn wrote: »
    Should also be noted that he knelt on the man's neck and back for nine minutes while he was lying handcuffed face down on the ground with two other officers also holding him down, and made no attempt to monitor his well-being or safety even for several minutes after Floyd stopped moving and speaking even as some of the other officers suggested moving him into another position.

I actually think that has been noted numerous times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I actually think that has been noted numerous times.

I think a lot of people on this thread cant cope with complexity.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭bewareofthedog

You mean like this?

You do really believe everything is so black and white? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There'd be something wrong with you if you were a cop and were never afraid.

Advertisement