Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

The state of minnieapolis allows the technique of knee to neck restraint....it's perfectly acceptable for police officers to use deadly force if a suspect presents imminent danger....chauvin was resisting arrest in the car....compressing of a person's neck to one or either side is allowed by neck/leg as long as there is no direct pressure to the trachea/airway...it's allowed in order to control someone with light to moderate compression or with the intention of rendering the person unconscious by applying direct pressure...the latter act is only allowed to protect police officer's lives with a suspect who is actively agressive and cannot be controlled by lesser methods....
    His lawyer was terrible with the first few witnesses....the second witness who couldn't seemed very unreliable for the state....he gave up questioning her so quickly....

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Both those posters were calling for a fair trial, for all evidence to be heard and people not to be prejudiced because of the BLM mob.

What part of that do you disagree with?

I think the possibility of a fair trial is close to 0. he is a white police officer. Practically a get out of jail free card in the US. if it wasn't captured on film it wouldn't have got anywhere near a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Both those posters were calling for a fair trial, for all evidence to be heard and people not to be prejudiced because of the BLM mob.

What part of that do you disagree with?
    Presumably all of it, as they want chauvin convicted by the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ELM327 wrote: »
    You or I have no idea what the fentanyl and other drugs would have done to his system.
    Dodging the question I see. Because you know that the autopsies all conclude that he died from compression to the neck as a primary factor, with narcotics in his system a potential contributing factor.

Therefore we go back to my original assertion: Floyd was killed by Chauvin kneeling on his neck. That is basically a legal fact unless the defence tries to convince the jury that the doctors were all incorrect.

So, the fentanyl is for now, irrelevant. Floyd's history of drug abuse is for now, irrelevant.

The question is whether Chauvin's action of kneeling on Floyd's neck was reasonable and proportionate. And therefore whether the killing was murder or accident.

The state of minnieapolis allows the technique of knee to neck restraint....it's perfectly acceptable for police officers to use deadly force if a suspect presents imminent danger....chauvin was resisting arrest in the car....compressing of a person's neck to one or either side is allowed by neck/leg as long as there is no direct pressure to the trachea/airway...it's allowed in order to control someone with light to moderate compression or with the intention of rendering the person unconscious by applying direct pressure...the latter act is only allowed to protect police officer's lives with a suspect who is actively agressive and cannot be controlled by lesser methods....

he was lying on the ground with his hands handcuffed. there were other police officers next to him. what imminent danger did he present?

• Advertisement

I think the possibility of a fair trial is close to 0. he is a white police officer. Practically a get out of jail free card in the US. if it wasn't captured on film it wouldn't have got anywhere near a court.

I completely disagree with you and think that he won't get a fair trial BECAUSE he is a white police officer. He's practically been found guilty before any evidence for his defence was submitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Just look at the Martens case officers/agents are above the law.

seamus wrote: »
    Dodging the question I see. Because you know that the autopsies all conclude that he died from compression to the neck as a primary factor, with narcotics in his system a potential contributing factor.

Therefore we go back to my original assertion: Floyd was killed because Chauvin was kneeling on his neck. That is basically a legal fact unless the defence tries to convince the jury that the doctors were all incorrect.

So, the fentanyl is for now, irrelevant. Floyd's history of drug abuse is for now, irrelevant.

The question is whether Chauvin's action of kneeling on Floyd's neck was reasonable and proportionate. And therefore whether the killing was murder or accident.

I did not dodge the question, I answered it.
    I believe he was likely to have suffered a cardiac event as he had swallowed all of the narcotics he was carrying when the police arrived so as not to be caught.

As the state of MN advises officers (at the time) that neck to knee was an acceptable restraint to use I do not see a conviction happening.

I completely disagree with you and think that he won't get a fair trial BECAUSE he is a white police officer. He's practically been found guilty before any evidence for his defence was submitted.
    +100000 to this.
    White guilt assigned by the BLM mob and the white knights play a big factor here.
    he was lying on the ground with his hands handcuffed. there were other police officers next to him. what imminent danger did he present?
    You can't look at that in isolation. Look at his actions across the timeline and you see what danger he presented.
    He resisted several times.

but he won't be found guilty. you can bet money on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

I presume they/he made that decision based on what had already happened ..maybe in the car who knows.....

+100000 to this.
    White guilt assigned by the BLM mob and the white knights play a big factor here.

You can't look at that in isolation. Look at his actions across the timeline and you see what danger he presented.
    He resisted several times.

you can. you can look at the 9 minute span where he presented no imminent danger and chauvin continued to kneel on his neck.

I have no idea. When all the evidence has been presented, I'll hopefully be clearer as to what happened.

Because he is not guilty IMO of murder 2. Not because of his race or job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

court tv have a you tube channel if anyone wants to get the facts.

I have no idea. When all the evidence has been presented, I'll hopefully be clearer as to what happened.

Agree. But on the currently available evidence it is pretty clear he is not guilty. Certainly of the charges levied.
    They should have gone for a lower charge.

I presume they/he made that decision based on what had already happened ..maybe in the car who knows.....

that argument doesn't hold water.

we know what happened.

Nozebleed wrote: »

Live on youtube coverage too across all major networks, Fox, CNN etc, as well as on Sky channel 524. I have it on in the background (well, afternoon our time anyway) while I'm working. The joys of working from home!

we know what happened.
    Why bother with the trial so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Nozebleed wrote: »

Facts? We've no need for facts here

Agree. But on the currently available evidence it is pretty clear he is not guilty. Certainly of the charges levied.
    They should have gone for a lower charge.

It is normal practice to prosecute a higher charge but giving the jury the option of finding them guilty of a lesser charge.

White man guilty. ACAB.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Presumably all of it, as they want chauvin convicted by the mob.

Exactly what I spoke about early in the thread. Wow!

we know what happened.

There's plenty of facts that I am not privy to. I won't be making up my mind until I've seen them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Yeah all the lawyers and legal experts are clearly in this thread:rolleyes:

Why bother with the trial so.

we know the facts. it is up to the jury to decide where those facts sit in the legal framework that applies in that jurisdiction.

It is normal practice to prosecute a higher charge but giving the jury the option of finding them guilty of a lesser charge.
    IMO based on current evidence, something like involuntary manslaughter could be an option, but certainly murder 2 is not realistic.

There's plenty of facts that I am not privy to. I won't be making up my mind until I've seen them

really? what facts are you unsure about and how are they relevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

White man guilty. ACAB.

Do you dispute the findings of the autopsies? If so, why?

Advertisement