Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

I'm quite surprised the second degree passed having watched virtually every day of evidence tbh. Otherwise a good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Windmill100000

Nobody held up chauvin as a hero, he deserved manslaughter but this verdict is insane

You feel bad for him. Awww.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

Mob justice wins!

Justice wins fyp

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Mob justice wins!

The tears of unfathomable sadness.

Shame on you defending a murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

namloc1980 wrote: »
    You don't believe in just trials then.

Of course he does........if they give the verdict he wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

In fairness, all those people were lining up excuses on why the verdict would be a fix no matter what.... And weirdly, a fair few of them tend to just hold incredible questionable views on black people in general. Basically they wanted to hold Chauvin up as some hero or some crap.

Purely coincidental I’m sure.

Spare a thought for Antifa tonight. What are they going to do with all those petrol bombs now??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

What a daft thing to say.

The judge already said that he will accept a plea for a mistrial from the defence based on Ms Waters exhortation to violence.
    Add to that the very odd intervention from President Biden today and you can be assured that the celebrations will be short lived and Mr Chauvin will be out on bail while another trial is arranged.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Going to be interesting seeing all the posters defend convicted murderer Derek Chauvin while at the same time calling for harsher sentences for murderers in Ireland.

How can anyone call for harsher sentences for murderers in Ireland??

Faugheen wrote: »
    The tears of unfathomable sadness.

Shame on you defending a murderer.
    Are you done complaining about everyone else? Christ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The defenders of a cold blooded murderer are out in force tonight. Some posters need to take a sone time to reflect on what side of this they are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

I'm not surprised personally. If you followed the trial, it became more apparent after each passing day that the defence being offered was flimsy at best. Their own expert witness was torn apart under cross examination and even at one point admitted that Chauvin should have given him medical attention.

You also know you're probably on the right side of the argument when you see who some of the other posters who were defending him were. I'm all for debate but it's clear that some of the points being put forward in Chauvin's defence were laced with bias.

In a strange way, I did feel a tinge of sadness for Chauvin as the camera was on him whilst he received the verdicts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I've a funny feeling these celebrations will be short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭cozar

What must be going through his head, life down the toilet for a few moments of madness.

Over 9 mins of madness?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

I'm quite surprised the second degree passed having watched virtually every day of evidence tbh. Otherwise a good result.

Same here, and agreed.

But juries are funny animals and are very hard to predict.

What must be going through his head, life down the toilet for a few moments of madness.

Well, 9 minutes 29 seconds of madness. I wonder will he survive that long with his head down the toilet in jail.

Mob justice wins!

You do recognise that George Floyd was the victim of an extrajudicial killing?

Whereas Chauvin has been convicted in line with the law and fair procedures, he enjoyed the presumption of innocence until that was firmly rebutted by the State.

And somehow you think he's the victim of mob justice, pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,324 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Nobody held up chauvin as a hero, he deserved manslaughter but this verdict is insane

Do you know what’s insane? Kneeling on a man’s neck and continuing to do it over his protestations and his desperate last gasps for air until he is dead.

A dangerous scumbag that hopefully gets the harshest sentence possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ckendrick wrote: »
    Mr Chauvin will be out on bail while another trial is arranged.

Nope Bail was revoked, and he is custody now, led from the court in handcuffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

Are you out of touch? No, it must be everyone else who is wrong.

• Advertisement

The defense failed miserably cause his actions were indefensible. The jury were advised on what they were prosecuting him for so no it's entirely sane, the prosecution argued their point and the defense didn't offer reasonable doubt.
    To convict Chauvin on this count, Judge Peter Cahill told jurors they must find that the former officer intended to commit an assault that could cause bodily harm or intentionally aided in committing such an assault.
    “It is not necessary for the state to prove the defendant had an intent to kill Floyd. But it must prove that the defendant committed, or attempted to commit, the underlying felony,” the judge said.

Cahill added that the state must prove that the assault either inflicted bodily harm on Floyd or was intended to commit bodily harm. That essentially could include loss of consciousness, the judge said.
    “It is not necessary for the state to prove that the defendant intended to inflict substantial bodily harm, or knew that his actions would inflict substantial bodily harm, only that the defendant intended to commit the assault, and George Floyd sustained substantial bodily harm,” Cahill said.

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/2021/04/19/derek-chauvin-murder-manslaughter-charges-sentencing-breakdown/7286597002/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Not really. There is video evidence the knee was on his back, not neck. Its politics not truth.

Spare a thought for Antifa tonight. What are they going to do with all those petrol bombs now??

Well the mayor of Portland has just announced a state of emergency and requested help from elsewhere. I hope you don’t think that ANTIFA or BLM give a tuppeney f**k about George Floyd or his family or any of the other dead black people or their families.
    They are nobodies in all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭enricoh

Well, 9 minutes 29 seconds of madness. I wonder will he survive that long with his head down the toilet in jail.

Charming!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Interesting that he can was guilty of all three. I knew he could be, and the charges aren't legally exclusive of each other, but it seems a bit strange that he can be found guilty of deliberately intending to assault, and also be found guilty of being indifferent to whether he caused harm. If he intended to do it, he's hardly indifferent to it (not the exact wording of the charges but hopefully people get the drift).

Anyway, pleased that he was found guilty of something. It's frightening to think that what he did might not have constituted any crime at all, and good to see that there is some limit to the leeway given to police.

What really struck me though was the importance of video evidence, and it made me wonder how many police have got away with similar stuff in the past because there were no cameras there and it was just the words of a police officer against the words of a witness.

Let's be honest he'll be put in protective custody and that'll be that, he won't be in gen pop

Nope Bail was revoked, and he is custody now, led from the court in handcuffs.

Just as soon as the defence call for the judge to declare it a mistrial he will be out on bail.
    You’re not paying attention to what the judge said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

bubblypop wrote: »
    How can anyone call for harsher sentences for murderers in Ireland??

The posts don’t necessarily make sense, some posters on here wouldnt know the difference between a mandatory life sentence and being released on parole after 17 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Ckendrick wrote: »
    The judge already said that he will accept a plea for a mistrial from the defence based on Ms Waters exhortation to violence.
    Add to that the very odd intervention from President Biden today and you can be assured that the celebrations will be short lived and Mr Chauvin will be out on bail while another trial is arranged.

From what I understand, the defence would have to show that Maxine Waters' comments influenced the jury's decision in some way. While the defence have grounds for appeal, that doesn't mean it'll be successful. The fact the jury came to a unanimous decision of guilty on all three counts doesn't give much credence to the idea that Waters' comments (stupid as she was to make them) had any effect on the jury.

Biden's comments were after the jury were sequestered. They won't influence the appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Do you know what’s insane? Kneeling on a man’s neck and continuing to do it over his protestations and his desperate last gasps for air until he is dead.

A dangerous scumbag that hopefully gets the harshest sentence possible.

He said I cant breath dozens of times when no one touched him. It referred to being put in the police car. There is video evidence that that he has knee on his shoulder, not neck. Murder is the deliberate killing of someone. The best you can say is that he disregarded his safety. To claim it is a deliberate killing is irrational.

Advertisement