Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I bet they still burn the city
    Spare a thought for Antifa tonight. What are they going to do with all those petrol bombs now??

Mod

Stay on topic or stay out of the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

Let's be honest he'll be put in protective custody and that'll be that, he won't be in gen pop

Or he can hang with the racist proud boys for the next 40 years or so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

What a totally avoidable situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Great news, murdering scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Surprised to see guilty verdict delivered on all three counts. I thought he'd dodge the M2.

But it was almost a sure fire hit for the other two counts. The defence was desperate at times (as were some of the posters on here) looking for anything at all to excuse what Chauvin did. But compared to what the prosecution brought, the excuses just didn't wash.

No doubt there'll be an appeal. So it'll be interesting to see where that goes.

On thing is for sure however. America needs to get it's shit together regarding law enforcement. It's no doubt, an extremely tough job that has to deal with some crazy people and situations. But there are too many Judge Dredd's knocking around over there who think that they can just do anything they like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

Very unsurprising that the same posters who defend Chauvin's actions are now making snide comments about rioting, looting, etc. I thought they were analysing the events and trial logically, and not being swayed by their political leanings?

Oh dear, it appears they couldn't help themselves. Not that anyone was falling for their thinly veiled "arguments" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

He said I cant breath dozens of times when no one touched him. It referred to being put in the police car. There is video evidence that that he has knee on his shoulder, not neck. Murder is the deliberate killing of someone. The best you can say is that he disregarded his safety. To claim it is a deliberate killing is irrational.

Unless you sat through the evidence and jury deliberation your point is moot

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Nobody held up chauvin as a hero, he deserved manslaughter but this verdict is insane

You clearly didn't follow what the Judge's charge to the jury was to find guilty of second degree.

Look, it's hard for you to accept that a white police officer murdered an unarmed black man because you put every single egg in the basket that it wasn't what it looked like.

It was. George Floyd was murdered. Plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ckendrick wrote: »
    Well the mayor of Portland has just announced a state of emergency and requested help from elsewhere. I hope you don’t think that ANTIFA or BLM give a tuppeney f**k about George Floyd or his family or any of the other dead black people or their families.
    They are nobodies in all this.

By "just" do you mean before the verdict was delivered? Cos thats what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

Anybody watching the tonight show on virgin media?

What's with the money?just switched on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

francois wrote: »
    Unless you sat through the evidence and jury deliberation your point is moot

You can look at both arguments online. RTE ony reported on the prosecution. They completely ignored the defence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    Very unsurprising that the same posters who defend Chauvin's actions are now making snide comments about rioting, looting, etc. I thought they were analysing the events and trial logically, and not being swayed by their political leanings?

Oh dear, it appears they couldn't help themselves. Not that anyone was falling for their thinly veiled "arguments" anyway.

I was hoping for guilty on all counts.
    I’m just realistic that based on what the judge said, and further political interference from the highest level today, that there will have to be another trial.
    The burning looting rioting and violence should stop now too, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ckendrick wrote: »
    I was hoping for guilty on all counts.
    I’m just realistic that based on what the judge said, and further political interference from the highest level today, that there will have to be another trial.
    The burning looting rioting and violence should stop now too, right?
    What part of Biden commenting about a case with a sequestered jury is 'political interference'???

• Registered Users Posts: 86,276 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A Minnesota jury found Derek Chauvin guilty on all three charges of second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter in the May 2020 killing of George Floyd. Jurors announced their final verdict after approximately 10 hours of deliberation. Sentencing will take place in eight weeks and Chauvin will be held without bail until that time.

Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 16,617 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Murder is the deliberate killing of someone.
    Not 2nd degree unintentional murder or 3rd degree murder.

You can look at both arguments online. RTE ony reported on the prosecution. They completely ignored the defence

There's nothing to prevent Irish people from reading up on the case further or even watching the entirety of the trial. The reality is the jury hearing both sides is the most important thing. They did...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

CNN’s coverage needs more Donnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

a good night for america. chauvin is a scumbag and he deserves repercussions, for this and let's be honest probably numerous other scumbag acts he did while in a position of authority.

looking purely objectively at the trial itself, the highest charge was a massive stretch and for sure i feel like jurors felt terrified to acquit on any charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Id say there will be a retrial, no doubt.

That congresswoman basically said find him guilty or we'll riot...lunacy.

Didn't the judge more or less acknowledge it to the defense?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,001 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

BOOM

Hope he rots in jail

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    You clearly didn't follow what the Judge's charge to the jury was to find guilty of second degree.

Look, it's hard for you to accept that a white police officer murdered an unarmed black man because you put every single egg in the basket that it wasn't what it looked like.

It was. George Floyd was murdered. Plain and simple.

I have an issue that the judge refused that Floyd's dealer who was in the car was not required to give evidence (presumably to protect the prosecution). I have a problem with that fact that is documentary evidence that the knee was his shoulder. I am guessing you didn't see the full length tape?

By "just" do you mean before the verdict was delivered? Cos thats what happened.

If he thought that the rioting burning looting and violence was going to stop when the verdict, which was without doubt, was announced, then why did he not wait?
    He didn’t because he knows the violence has nothing to do with the Chauvin trial. Or any other racial injustice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That's bullshit.

Even tonight they reported what the defence tried to put forth.

osarusan wrote: »
    Not 2nd degree unintentional murder or 3rd degree murder.

Or even murder in Irish law, that's intent to kill or cause serious harm.

What part of Biden commenting about a case with a sequestered jury is 'political interference'???

Dissent, deny, deflect, distract.

People know that Biden did nothing wrong. It's a tactic.

cheezums wrote: »
    a good night for america. chauvin is a scumbag and he deserves repercussions, for this and let's be honest probably numerous other scumbag acts he did while in a position of authority.

looking purely objectively at the trial itself, the highest charge was a massive stretch and for sure i feel like jurors felt terrified to acquit on any charge.

Yes. The rioting and burning and looting will stop now and all the cities will return to peaceful crime free places.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

How can he be guilty on all counts, I would have thought once he is guilty on murder 2 that he wouldn't fit manslaughter.

I have an issue that the judge refused that Floyd's dealer who was in the car was not required to give evidence (presumably to protect the prosecution). I have a problem with that fact that is documentary evidence that the knee was his shoulder. I am guessing you didn't see the full length tape?

I did. I also followed the entire trial, including the two days of the defence putting forward their non-existent case.

Murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭MFPM

Bad Boyo wrote: »
    The jury were probably too frightened to find him not guilty.

Why on earth given the weight of evidence could they find him not guilty. Do give us your analysis.

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's bullshit.

Even tonight they reported what the defence tried to put forth.

Nope. I watched the whole thing this evening and daily before. They only occasionally reported tibits in so far prosecution arguments countered them

Advertisement