Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Bad Boyo wrote: »
    When are the 'mostly peaceful' celebrations due to begin?

https://twitter.com/amihorowitz/status/1384542943357202441?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Disappointing evening for Boards' resident racists :(

Give it time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Disappointing evening for Boards' resident racists :(

I foresee a lot of suicide by mod posting over the next few pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

But it’s time to move on.

Law enforcement in America would love for people to to say "thats it sorted" and to move on so that they can continue as they always have. Now is the time to use this as the first step to root and branch reform of the way they operate. Absolutely not the time to just "move on"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Way I see it..

Chauvin used excessive to the point of lethal force. I’d be pretty sure he didn’t actually mean to kill him, just a brute.

Floyd would still be alive if he didn’t continually resist arrest over quite a long period of time.

There’s lessons for police and citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nobody held up chauvin as a hero, he deserved manslaughter but this verdict is insane

about ten years for manslaughter would seem about right , its likely the verdict was politically motivated

not like it the first time a verdict was influence by politics , this one just happens to be in an era of mass media

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

It was one of the most cut and dry cases I’ve come across in a long time. How anyone can argue that Floyd would have died in that moment anyway, that having his neck knelt on for 9 minutes and dying was just an unfortunate oopsy coincidence is beyond comprehension. I can only conclude that it comes from a place of prejudice against Floyd and that they didn’t like the cut of his jib. The cut of his jib shouldn’t matter and he didn’t deserve to die. I wonder if people here saying the verdict was wrong would be saying the same if it was a family member of theirs who was knelt on for 9 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Smee_Again wrote: »
    You ask this without a sense of irony because the 12 people who actually watched and listened to all the evidence presented by the prosecution and the defence decided that Chauvin did murder Georgie Floyd.

The only way your statement would be valid if conviction appeals didn't exist. Appeals do exist as trials are often are flawed. Let's get real if the jury went the other way each member would be named in the media and shamed.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Way I see it..

Chauvin used excessive to the point of lethal force. I’d be pretty sure he didn’t actually mean to kill him, just a brute.

Floyd would still be alive if he didn’t continually resist arrest over quite a long period of time.

'Floyd would be alive if he didn't continually resist arrest'.

Floyd would be alive if a murderer didn't kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭MFPM

And rightly so.

It's not that simple, George Floyd was murdered a year ago, Daunte White and Adam Toledo were killed a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

And rightly so.

It really isn't. How many times has similar happened that wasn't on tape and the cop wasn't even charged and how many more times will that happen in the future?

This case doesn't prove the system as it is works, it just shows that cops can't get away with a 9 minute long slow murder while the victim and bystanders beg them to stop.

It was one of the most cut and dry cases I’ve come across in a long time. How anyone can argue that Floyd would have died in that moment anyway, that having his neck knelt on for 9 minutes and dying was just an unfortunate oopsy coincidence is beyond comprehension. I can only conclude that it comes from a place of prejudice against Floyd and that they didn’t like the cut of his jib. The cut of his jib shouldn’t matter and he didn’t deserve to die. I wonder if people here saying the verdict was wrong would be saying the same if it was a family member of theirs who was knelt on for 9 minutes.

Floyd was black and had a criminal past. Only 1 of those things is necessary for some posters to side with the murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Law enforcement in America would love for people to to say "thats it sorted" and to move on so that they can continue as they always have. Now is the time to use this as the first step to root and branch reform of the way they operate. Absolutely not the time to just "move on"

I was on about the protesting.
    Justice was served.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

One man had to die, so the rest could live...

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It might be a good idea for Biden and the waters congress women to appeal to people not to resist arrest after committing crimes and that carrying guns and weapons is dangerous and if they did both many who have died would not have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Fantastic speech from Minnesota AG Keith Ellison on the verdict and how this is a step in building a fairer justice system and community and police relationships.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Always felt this was voluntary manslaughter on the evidence particularly the video.

Regardless it was never going to be a fair trial in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I was on about the protesting.
    Justice was served.

The protesting absolutely has to continue. Otherwise its exactly as I said in my last post, everything goes back to status quo. The police havnt stopped killing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,654 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    about ten years for manslaughter would seem about right , its likely the verdict was politically motivated

not like it the first time a verdict was influence by politics , this one just happens to be in an era of mass media

Politically motivated? Unanimously? By a selection of 12 random citizens, the selection of whom was agreed upon by both prosecution and defence?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,554 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Chauvins only realistic defence would have been to plead stupidity and claim he didn't know stopping someone breathing could kill them. It would have had a better chance of working than whatever irrelevant guff he tried as "defence".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

It might be a good idea for Biden and the waters congress women to appeal to people not to resist arrest after committing crimes and that carrying guns and weapons is dangerous and if they did both many who have died would not have done so.

One of the silliest posts I've seen on boards and that's saying something.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Way I see it..

George Floyd done everything he was asked untill they tried to put him in the back of the police car. He had anxiety and was claustrophobic so did not want to go in the back of the car. They should have asked him to go to the station in his own car. Would that have been so hard?
    Justice has been done. Hopefully Derrick Chevin gets a nice long sentence in a dark cell.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

The only way your statement would be valid if conviction appeals didn't exist. Appeals do exist as trials are often are flawed. Let's get real if the jury went the other way each member would be named in the media and shamed.

Got nothing to do with you asking a poster if they’d watched the full video as a gotcha while simultaneously criticising the decision of those who watched all the evidence.

So, that other poster has to watch the video in your eyes, but you don’t have to reviewed all the evidence to the level that the jury did before posting.

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭MFPM

Way I see it..

Chauvin is guilty, Chauvin is in the wrong, Floyd did not deserve to die. They are no equally responsible for this situation as your post implies.

Also worth keeping in mind that he has been 'former' officer Chauvin for a long time now.
    The reason he is FORMER officer Chauvin is because he was Fired from the police force.
    So how could the defence keep rambling on about 'a reasonable police officer' in the closing statement?
    The defence know he is guilty on all counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

banie01 wrote: »
    Fantastic speech from Minnesota AG Keith Ellison on the verdict and how this is a step in building a fairer justice system and community and police relationships.

Agreed but didn’t like him mentioning specific recent cases that his office are prosecuting. Lumping every ‘police killing’ with each other does a disservice to everyone. They are not all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,268 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The protesting absolutely has to continue. Otherwise its exactly as I said in my last post, everything goes back to status quo. The police havnt stopped killing people.

Well then, it’s time for police and gun reform.

Over to you Biden.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is along the same lines as "....well, she wouldn't have been raped if she'd not gone down that alley that late at night, alone.", i.e. victim blaming.

I understand that resisting arrest can be treated as a felony in and of itself, so if he'd resisted arrest, the punishment for that was to be charged with it when taken down to the station, not restrained in an excessive fashion, for an excessive amount of time, while having your pleas for breath ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Always felt this was voluntary manslaughter on the evidence particularly the video.

Regardless it was never going to be a fair trial in that way.

What was unfair about the trial??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

i) there is a lot of evidence that his knee was on his shoulder, not neck, this evidence was presented on trial, ii) Floyd had enough drugs inside him to kill a horse, iii) Floyd was saying he can't breathe for 10 mins before hand as he didnt want to go in the car. When he said he cant breathe on the ground it is reasonable to think that he crying wolf. iiii) there is evidence that Chauvin's actions were well within code of conduct. v) reconstructions of the maneuver didnt hurt a health person when tried.

Advertisement