Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭MFPM

It might be a good idea for Biden and the waters congress women to appeal to people not to resist arrest after committing crimes and that carrying guns and weapons is dangerous and if they did both many who have died would not have done so.

Oh f@ck off and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭MFPM

i) there is a lot of evidence that his knee was on his shoulder, not neck, this evidence was presented on trial, ii) Floyd had enough drugs inside him to kill a horse, iii) Floyd was saying he can't breathe for 10 mins before hand as he didnt want to go in the car. When he said he cant breathe on the ground it is reasonable to think that he crying wolf. iiii) there is evidence that Chauvin's actions were well within code of conduct. v) reconstructions of the maneuver didnt hurt a health person when tried.

Nice try...Chauvin is guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

They might if the police stop killing people.

Would you be happy enough if the Gardai killed around 18 people a year here? Cos thats what itd be if they killed people at the same rate here as police in America do.

But we'd also have to have the same proportionate amount of guns for a fair comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

AMKC wrote: »
    They should have asked him to go to the station in his own car. Would that have been so hard?

True, really I’m sure he was going to pop by the police station later on anyway to admit his guilt so the police shouldn’t have got involved at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What was unfair about the trial??

They used evidence against him :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

Weird question time. Let’s say Derek Chauvin was found NOT GULITY.

What kind of life would he have had?

I guess he would be killed within days of being released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Also worth keeping in mind that he has been 'former' officer Chauvin for a long time now.
    The reason he is FORMER officer Chauvin is because he was Fired from the police force.
    So how could the defence keep rambling on about 'a reasonable police officer' in the closing statement?
    The defence know he is guilty on all counts.

Circular argument.

i) there is a lot of evidence that his knee was on his shoulder, not neck, this evidence was presented on trial, ii) Floyd had enough drugs inside him to kill a horse, iii) Floyd was saying he can't breathe for 10 mins before hand as he didnt want to go in the car. When he said he cant breathe on the ground it is reasonable to think that he crying wolf. iiii) there is evidence that Chauvin's actions were well within code of conduct. v) reconstructions of the maneuver didnt hurt a health person when tried.

There were 4 cops with guns and he had his hands cuffed behind his back.

What were they afraid he was going to do if they didnt put him face down on the road and 3 of them get on top of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What is she on about? He is an unfortunate victim not a martyr for justice, he could hadly have known what would happen post mortem.......bizarre.

MFPM wrote: »
    Nice try...Chauvin is guilty.

Kinda funny how defence advocates actually cite details of the case while prosecution advocates dont

• Advertisement

obi604 wrote: »

Like all the other acquitted cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

namloc1980 wrote: »
    One of the silliest posts I've seen on boards and that's saying something.

If you want to engage in crime and encounter police there are risks, especially if you carry or use firearms. Dont take drugs and resist arrest especially when you have a heart condition. This verdict will be overturned in time. Bidens comments today were shocking and show the pressure the jury were under. I.genuinely feel they feared for their lives and families lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Doubt it, has any cop or ex-cop found not guilty of killing a an unarmed person turned up murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Kinda funny how defence advocates actually cite details of the case while prosecution advocates dont

the details of the case have been decided by a jury. they didn't agree with you.

The verdict is the only relevant detail once the trial is over.

If you want to engage in crime and encounter police there are risks, especially if you carry or use firearms. Dont take drugs and resist arrest especially when you have a heart condition. This verdict will be overturned in time. Bidens comments today were shocking and show the pressure the jury were under. I.genuinely feel they feared for their lives and families lives.

The police are supposed to be able to deal with suspected criminals, not abuse or kill them. If they cant do that then they shouldnt be police.

People who want to see major issues with the police in america should give this a listen. Its about the guy who trained police.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/105-behind-the-bastards-29236323/episode/the-man-who-teaches-our-cops-63257870/

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

MFPM wrote: »
    In the context of tonight's verdict and remembering how rare it is for a cop to be convicted of a crime like this, thinking about the history of the subjugation of Black Communities in the US and then imagine being one of the posters here who is disappointed by the verdict, who directly or indirectly thinks Chauvin is hard done by, who thinks justice hasn't been done, imagine being so bereft of humanity.

It's a dangerous thing to invoke anything other than the facts of the case when deciding on the fairness of a verdict.

George Zimmerman is still alive after killing Trayvon Martin... So no, in all likelihood he would simply get away with it.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Trials don't just have to be fair, they have to be seen to be fair. The argument will be there was no way for Chauvin to get a fair trial given the political influence and Watters has foolishly reinforced that. I don't agree but that's the reality, and it is possibly strong grounds for an appeal.

America is a strange place, genuinely looks like a democracy that is collapsing because many of those in charge have no respect for the principles required in a democracy.

If a retrial is ordered because of one statement a member of Congress made, then it opens up a whole can of worms about any comment ever made about any trial by any politician before or during a trial.

Unless there is clear evidence that the jury were influenced, it's not going to happen.

• Advertisement

There were 4 cops with guns and he had his hands cuffed behind his back.

What were they afraid he was going to do if they didnt put him face down on the road and 3 of them get on top of him?

Originally he was put sitting in the car. He got violent and there was a hostile crowd that threatening violence at these cops. he asked to be taken out so they did

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

Crazy decision / ruling , in my opinion .

Manslaughter at best , no way was it murder 1,2,3,4,5 or whatever .

Comes across as a bit of a " show trial ".

If i was a member of the police force in the USA , I would be seriously considering my position after this verdict .

Should actually have a mass resignation of police officers in the US , wipe the slate clean . Let Joe Biden and co arrange a new police force of their " utopia " .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭briany

Ckendrick wrote: »
    Nothing says “we want justice” like a Dollar Store on fire in a poor black neighborhood and a brand new LED TV stolen while wearing a brand new pair of stolen NIKE runners.

It certainly does not. That's what peaceful protest is for, and the data backs up the assertion that BLM protests throughout have been majority peaceful.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-10-23/lapd-most-george-floyd-protests-peaceful

https://time.com/5886348/report-peaceful-protests/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/6/11/a-timeline-of-the-george-floyd-and-anti-police-brutality-protests

Even this report which disputes the framing of the findings, can't really find any countering evidence to say that violence and looting has been anything more than very much a minority of the protests.

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-myth-behind-blms-peaceful-protests/

So, the effort to characterise the entire BLM thing as riots and looting and so on is simply pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

THE_SHEEP wrote: »

If i was a member of the police force in the USA , I would be seriously considering my position after this verdict .

Should actually have a mass resignation of police officers in the US , wipe the slate clean . Let Joe Biden and co arrange a new police force of their " utopia " .

I’d guess the officer who would be upset at this verdict are exactly the officers that shouldn’t be police officers.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

US police officer defends murderer colleague. Quelle surprise.

You do know the police were the most important witnesses for the prosecution, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

They'd do the US public a huge favour.

Any cop who believes they have the right to slowly choke a man to death and then refuse to allow others to provide medical assistance shouldn't be anywhere near a police force.

Good riddance.

Originally he was put sitting in the car. He got violent and there was a hostile crowd that threatening violence at these cops. he asked to be taken out so they did

Yeah, the lovely police officers were just doing what Floyd asked them to, such nice boys. I mean, if you listen to the tape he says "I dont like it in here guys, can you take me out of the car and sit on me instead"

Again, if police cant handle a few people standing on the path and shouting at them a bit, they are not fit to be police. What did the 4 guys with guns think the people with the phones were going to do to them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Hopefully there will be a general consensus now that the best approach for police to take with suspected criminal activities involving minorities is to just allow them to get on with it.
    It is really the only approach to take. From now on any police officer who encounters a minority with a gun, or under the influence should just move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

I couldn't agree more, no way was it murder in any shape or form. It may have been negligence at best, the constant pressure police are under from firearms in the USA is behind alot of the no nonsense policing. Maybe the need to down tools for a few days and let congress woman waters and her community police the USA as they seem to know best.

• Advertisement

Should actually have a mass resignation of police officers in the US , wipe the slate clean . .

Thatd be a start anyway........

Advertisement