Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

Faugheen wrote: »
    If a retrial is ordered because of one statement a member of Congress made, then it opens up a whole can of worms about any comment ever made about any trial by any politician before or during a trial.

Unless there is clear evidence that the jury were influenced, it's not going to happen.

I don't think her comments influenced the outcome. But partially I think that's because the threat of rioting and violence if Chauvin was found not guilty was already well established long ago.

I always thought he was guilty of at least manslaughter. So I don't have huge issues with the outcome. But the constant looming threat of violence I have found bothersome. I don't even live in the states and I almost didn't want to know the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ckendrick wrote: »
    Hopefully there will be a general consensus now that the best approach for police to take with suspected criminal activities involving minorities is to just allow them to get on with it.
    It is really the only approach to take. From now on any police officer who encounters a minority with a gun, or under the influence should just move on.

Well they certainly shouldn't murder them, if the choice is murder or do nothing, I'll take doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Any police officer digusted that they arent allowed kill black people for giggles with no consequence should certainly resign immediately.

They US really needs quality control on the officers anyway a vast majority seem completely unskilled and barely trained in how to tie their own shoelaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hopefully there will be a general consensus now that the best approach for police to take with suspected criminal activities involving minorities is to just allow them to get on with it.
    It is really the only approach to take. From now on any police officer who encounters a minority with a gun, or under the influence should just move on.

Or, they could try actual policing. I know its an alien concept but approaching every situation by pulling guns on people or rolling in in body armour on APC's has a tendancy to escalate situations.

If 4 police with guns cans deal with 1 unarmed guy without killing him then they are not fit to be in the job. Nevermind how minor the crime was and that they had him cuffed .

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

so if they can't get away with the odd murder, they should stop policing altogether?

christ.

• Advertisement

Always felt this was voluntary manslaughter on the evidence particularly the video.

Regardless it was never going to be a fair trial in that way.

Here’s a link to the judges direction to the jury- what do you think is “unfair” about the verdict based on his clear guidance?

While I was doubtful the jury would find guilty on Count 1 based on the pure legal definition of how murder 2 is written, the judges direction to the jury below on count 1, makes it a far more believable and realistic verdict - have a read.

https://www.startribune.com/read-the-judges-instructions-for-the-jury-in-the-derek-chauvin-murder-trial/600047788/

juryinstructions04192021-p5-xlarge.gif?ts=1618867420441.414

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

cheezums wrote: »
    so if they can't get away with the odd murder, they should stop policing altogether?

christ.

Racist Cop: If I can’t kill black people then what’s the point of being a cop?

Non-racists: To protect and serve!

Racist Cop: **** that, I wanna kill me some black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Well they certainly shouldn't murder them, if the choice is murder or do nothing, I'll take doing nothing.

Does that still hold if it's your life family or property that's being threatened?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Kinda funny how defence advocates actually cite details of the case while prosecution advocates dont

What exactly were you watching, was it Fox News???

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You know for someone who was hopeful of a guilty verdict, you're making a lot of excuses and engaging in victim-blaming.

You've exposed yourself as one of those bad-faith posters with minimal effort. Top work.

• Advertisement

Does that still hold if it's your life family or property that's being threatened?

Didn't see Derek Chauvin's life being under threat at any stage in this.

Murderer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

I think the jury acted in their own selfless reasons.
    I don't blame them for a second.
    The feared for their lives if they came back with Not Guilty.

Former California home of Derek Chauvin trial witness vandalized with pig's head, blood Use-of-force expert testified on behalf of officer in George Floyd case.
    https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/19/former-california-home-of-derek-chauvin-trial-witness-vandalized-with-pigs-head-blood/

What the Notorious hater Congresswoman Maxine Waters said about the Derek Chauvin trial

“Well, we’ve got to stay on the street. And we’ve got to get more active. We’ve got to get more confrontational. We’ve got to make sure that they know that we mean business.”
    https://policetribune.com/maxine-waters-calls-for-activists-to-take-to-streets-get-more-confrontational-if-chauvin-not-convicted/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

briany wrote: »
    It certainly does not. That's what peaceful protest is for, and the data backs up the assertion that BLM protests throughout have been majority peaceful.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-10-23/lapd-most-george-floyd-protests-peaceful

https://time.com/5886348/report-peaceful-protests/

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/6/11/a-timeline-of-the-george-floyd-and-anti-police-brutality-protests

Even this report which disputes the framing of the findings, can't really find any countering evidence to say that violence and looting has been anything more than very much a minority of the protests.

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-myth-behind-blms-peaceful-protests/

So, the effort to characterise the entire BLM thing as riots and looting and so on is simply pathetic.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8660507/3-Wisconsin-deploys-National-Guard-police-shooting-Black-man-sparks-unrest.html

Look, there’s tons of this everywhere. Pretending that there’s no violence involved is just counter productive. Persistent political lobbying is the only way to change things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

THE_SHEEP wrote: »
    . . . .

If i was a member of the police force in the USA , I would be seriously considering my position after this verdict .

Should actually have a mass resignation of police officers in the US , wipe the slate clean . Let Joe Biden and co arrange a new police force of their " utopia " .

On that point the police in the United States are generally well paid, with good benefits when you make it to retirement, so unlikely. The most likely reaction across several (not all) police jurisdictions in the United States is one that became prevalent in the 1970s where the police just stand back and let crime ran amok in some neighbourhoods.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

If you want to engage in crime and encounter police there are risks, especially if you carry or use firearms. Dont take drugs and resist arrest especially when you have a heart condition. This verdict will be overturned in time. Bidens comments today were shocking and show the pressure the jury were under. I.genuinely feel they feared for their lives and families lives.

there was no resisting arrest.
    the officer is guilty as charged.
    you lost, get over it.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Self defense is fine but murder is not. There is a difference between defensive and offensive action. The murder here was not necessary or helpful in defending the public.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Biafranlivemat

obi604 wrote: »
    Weird question time. Let’s say Derek Chauvin was found NOT GULITY.

What kind of life would he have had?

I guess he would be killed within days of being released.

Word on the streets of Boston, is gangbangers are talking about killing Chauvin, If found not guilty. I guess it is the same talk in major US cities.

Former California home of Derek Chauvin trial witness vandalized with pig's head, blood Use-of-force expert testified on behalf of officer in George Floyd case.
    https://www.twincities.com/2021/04/19/former-california-home-of-derek-chauvin-trial-witness-vandalized-with-pigs-head-blood/

What the Notorious hater Congresswoman Maxine Waters said about the Derek Chauvin trial

“Well, we’ve got to stay on the street. And we’ve got to get more active. We’ve got to get more confrontational. We’ve got to make sure that they know that we mean business.”
    https://policetribune.com/maxine-waters-calls-for-activists-to-take-to-streets-get-more-confrontational-if-chauvin-not-convicted/

I think you're pushing conspiracy theories about the verdict... They did not fear for their lives and you have no proof that they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

This is impressive mental gymnastics, you have created a situation where they couldn't possibly have found Chauvin guilty based on the overwhelming evidence, but actually because they were scared of being killed by those pesky violent blacks if they acquitted him.

Amazing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭obi604

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Doubt it, has any cop or ex-cop found not guilty of killing a an unarmed person turned up murdered.

This is a bit different though. The whole world knew about this.
    And riots for months in America over it.

• Advertisement

Or... you know... they believe Derek Chauvin is a murderer.

Not just believe he's a murderer, but unanimously believe he's a murderer.

This was a jury picked in joint collaboration between the prosecution and defence.

Derek Chauvin is a murderer. Stop making excuses for murderers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 128 ✭✭Ckendrick

Faugheen wrote: »
    You know for someone who was hopeful of a guilty verdict, you're making a lot of excuses and engaging in victim-blaming.

You've exposed yourself as one of those bad-faith posters with minimal effort. Top work.

I most certainly was hopeful of a guilty verdict and hope all the police officers involved in incidents where a minority ends up dead are all brought to court and found guilty of murder and given appropriate sentences.
    If that’s what it takes for the police to realize that minorities should not be approached unless they seek the assistance of a police officer then that’s what it takes.
    I know that there are serious plans to build minority only self contained communities which they will police themselves.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/black-americans-leaving-homes-start-black-communities/story?id=73344171
    That’s clearly the only way most will ever feel safe, by totally avoiding white people, the vast majority of whom are obviously raving white supremacists.

I know that there are serious plans to build minority only self contained communities which they will police themselves.

Like the way rich white people have already with gated communities and rent a cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

I most certainly was hopeful of a guilty verdict and hope all the police officers involved in incidents where a minority ends up dead are all brought to court and found guilty of murder and given appropriate sentences.
    If that’s what it takes for the police to realize that minorities should not be approached unless they seek the assistance of a police officer then that’s what it takes.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/black-americans-leaving-homes-start-black-communities/story?id=73344171
    That’s clearly the only way most will ever feel safe, by totally avoiding white people, the vast majority of whom are obviously raving white supremacists.

I genuinely feel sad for you. I hope you can turn things around at some point.

I most certainly was hopeful of a guilty verdict

tenor.gif

You have followed this up with rants about looting and burning as a result of BLM protests. You've paid very little attention to the guilty verdict itself. All you have done is 'glad he's guilty, but what about all of these guys...' while completely missing the point altogether.

No, there shouldn't be any burning or looting or violence, but you have been intentionally deflecting attention away from the guilty verdict and that's why I believe you are chatting sh*t. You are no better than those who are genuinely devastated that Derek Chauvin is a convicted murderer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭briany

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8660507/3-Wisconsin-deploys-National-Guard-police-shooting-Black-man-sparks-unrest.html

Look, there’s tons of this everywhere. Pretending that there’s no violence involved is just counter productive. Persistent political lobbying is the only way to change things.

There have been far more peaceful protests than riots and every study done backs this up. Nobody is pretending there is *no* violence involved, but my issue is with people who are trying to push the blatantly false narrative that BLM is intrinsically violent. The clear, clear majority of BLM demonstrations have not been violent, with a minority that have been violent. But the minority of violence should not be allowed to solely characterise the BLM movement as this would insinuate that peaceful protest counts for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

<Snip>

Copy/Paste article with no source

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I really don't think it's appropriate for Biden to get involved, saying things like he's relieved, would he not of agreed with the jury if it went the other way? does he not trust his own justice system?

Your reacting like I have a problem with black peoples building their own gated communities. Far from it. I think it’s a great idea.
    In fact it’s clearly the only solution in a country where all non blacks are racists and possibly whites supremacists.
    It should be government funded. There’s no reason why any minority should be forced to live shoulder to shoulder with a majority who clearly despise them and seek to eradicate them from the face of the earth.

Youre being very subtle, but im starting to think youre being disingenuous . Cant be sure though....................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Jesse Jackson is far shook.

Advertisement