Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Mob rule wins out

"Find him guilty or we burn the whole place down"

What a kip America has become.

Justice won out

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Mob rule wins out

"Find him guilty or we burn the whole place down"

What a kip America has become.

Or maybe he was actually guilty.

Funny how people like you believe in the judicial process except for when it doesn’t go your way.

Derek Chauvin is a murderer. Signed, sealed and delivered by a jury of his peers, as selected by his defence counsel and the prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wonder what'll happen to the cop involved in last night's shooting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

I wonder what'll happen to the cop involved in last night's shooting?

Most likely nothing legally, and I would say the same for same situation in Ireland. The cop wasn't shooting to protect himself so any talk about body armour or self defense etc is irrelevant. The girl in black top appears to end up right beside girl in pink and swinging arm back about to put a knife in her left side.

About the main topic of the thread am suprised about the all counts thing, but less so now I know that 2nd degree doesn't require intent and charges can stack up. Thought it was definitely going to be the manslaughter charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Finally cops will think twice before killing unarmed black people.

When they stop killing black people they can work on stopping killing other people (who they kill more of)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/
    Sadly, the trend of fatal police shootings in the United States seems to only be increasing, with a total 213 civilians having been shot, 30 of whom were Black, in the first three months of 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

When they stop killing black people they can work on stopping killing other people (who they kill more of)

https://www.statista.com/statistics/585152/people-shot-to-death-by-us-police-by-race/

Did you even read the very first paragraph on that page?
    Additionally, the rate of fatal police shootings among Black Americans was much higher than that for any other ethnicity, standing at 35 fatal shootings per million of the population as of March 2021.

No one is saying police don't shoot people of other ethnicities, but they shoot black people at a higher rate than other ethnicities.

Also, from the 213 fatal shootings so far this year, the ethnicity is marked as Unknown for 112 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Penn wrote: »

No one is saying police don't shoot people of other ethnicities, but they shoot black people at a higher rate than other ethnicities.

I did.

Now without starting a discussion with undertones of racism black people are much more like my to interact with the police force in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/816699/local-jail-inmates-in-the-united-states-by-race/
    In 2019, the incarceration rate of African Americans in local jails in the United States was 600 incarcerations per 100,000 of the population -- the highest rate of any ethnicity.

There is a police brutality issue in the US that does not discriminate, the police kill everyone

His friend, who was in the car, should have been offered immunity when he declared he was going to plead the fifth to avoid self-incrimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Jurors were 4 black 6 white 2 mixed race. Average demographic of the population would have given 1black 1 non white not black and 11 white. That's a very diverse pick really.
    As I said before I don't understand how it can be both manslaughter and also murder 2.
    Murder two is deliberately and manslaughter is accidentally?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Just wait to get some details. The deceased could have been about to knife into one of the people fighting on her lawn for all any of us know. It’s stupid to not wait for more detail.

And it turns out that is exactly what happened ...

SCFOP Lodge #31 (@scfop_31) Tweeted:
    GLFOP: Columbus, Ohio Police have released the Bodycam footage of the officer involved shooting. The suspect posed an imminent threat to another female as she attempted to stab her. https://t.co/uON9H4DyRH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Penn wrote: »

Also, from the 213 fatal shootings so far this year, the ethnicity is marked as Unknown for 112 of them.

Yes, and crime rates among different colors/ethnicities plays a part.

Cops don’t go out targeting colors. They target criminals..

Yes, because ofc Chauvin set out to murder the next black man in sight :rolleyes:

Well he wasn't convicted of that... You seem to be trying to justify killing a man because of his criminal history... Multiple senior Police officers said what he did was unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Of course this means every criminal will be emboldened when interacting with police, knowing full well they will be reluctant to exercise their authority.

Opportunist members of the public may chance their arm too.

US cities may have been spared a BLM insurrection but crime rates will likely go up and the job of police will become even more difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,620 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I did.

Now without starting a discussion with undertones of racism black people are much more like my to interact with the police force in the US.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/816699/local-jail-inmates-in-the-united-states-by-race/

There is a police brutality issue in the US that does not discriminate, the police kill everyone

Your claim was that police fatally shoot black people less than other ethnicities. Proportionally, that's incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

His friend, who was in the car, should have been offered immunity when he declared he was going to plead the fifth to avoid self-incrimination.

Why would the prosecution offer immunity?

They successfully prosecuted Chauvin with murder.

Your post makes no sense.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Jurors were 4 black 6 white 2 mixed race. Average demographic of the population would have given 1black 1 non white not black and 11 white. That's a very diverse pick really.
    As I said before I don't understand how it can be both manslaughter and also murder 2.
    Murder two is deliberately and manslaughter is accidentally?

Read the definition of both, it’s fairly clear to anyone who wants to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I don't know what I think about this to be honest.

I admittedly haven't followed the trial, but the hysteria around the whole thing and implied threat of violence from supporters if there wasn't a guilty verdict returned is just wrong.

The canonisation of Floyd and the downplaying of his criminal past and portrayal of him as a victim of the system is an issue. So too is people here and elsewhere obsessing over the case as though it was happening in their own city, and why the president of the United States got personally involved and (from what I've heard on the news here this morning) rang the family afterwards is bizarre.

Should the guy have died, nope. Did the cop intend to do it, unlikely. Should he have faced consequences and punishment, absolutely..... But did he get a fair trial and was the verdict proportional... Hmmm

Biden’s meddling here is an absolute disgrace. Absolute snake..

walshb wrote: »

Why is he a snake? He didn't comment until the jury was sequestered. Now a verdict has been reached and it's an important case.

How? His comments had no impact because the jury was sequestered.

Or is this more of the dismiss, deny, deflect and distract from the fact that Derek Chauvin is a murderer?

• Advertisement

There's shades of the OJ Simpson verdict in this.

Sure the decision must be respected. But I suspect the looming threat of riots and violence must have been consciously or unconsciously part of the decision.

It's even more heightened in this day and age with smartphones, cameras and doxing. If I was on the jury I'd be scared of being photographed and having my photo plastered around online by the woke mobs.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I don't know what I think about this to be honest.

I admittedly haven't followed the trial, but the hysteria around the whole thing and implied threat of violence from supporters if there wasn't a guilty verdict returned is just wrong.

The canonisation of Floyd and the downplaying of his criminal past and portrayal of him as a victim of the system is an issue. So too is people here and elsewhere obsessing over the case as though it was happening in their own city, and why the president of the United States got personally involved and (from what I've heard on the news here this morning) rang the family afterwards is bizarre.

Should the guy have died, nope. Did the cop intend to do it, unlikely. Should he have faced consequences and punishment, absolutely..... But did he get a fair trial and was the verdict proportional... Hmmm

Great post. I think this is the most reasonable response and probably represents what the majority of people on here think.

There's shades of the OJ Simpson verdict in this.

Sure the decision must be respected. But I suspect the looming threat of riots and violence must have been consciously or unconsciously part of the decision.

It's even more heightened in this day and age with smartphones, cameras and doxing. If I was on the jury I'd be scared of being photographed and having my photo plastered around online by the woke mobs.

The jury’s decision must be respected but here are some reasons why their decision was made under duress.

So not really respecting the decision, are you?

Faugheen wrote: »
    How? His comments had no impact because the jury was sequestered.

Or is this more of the dismiss, deny, deflect and distract from the fact that Derek Chauvin is a murderer?

No. I believe Chauvin deserved some punishment.

My Biden comment stands. No matter what verdict someone wants, the U.S. President sticking his oar in here is disgraceful..

And presidents’ comments absolutely do have impacts. They’re very influential people.

And I am not talking about just the trial. His comments as regards its involvement with law/order and justice was my point.

Why is he a snake? He didn't comment until the jury was sequestered. Now a verdict has been reached and it's an important case.

It’s not just the jury..I know well that they were isolated.

His comments to the people...

He should not be passing comment like he did in such an emotive trial that may possibly result in a lot of hostility and damage..

He was clearly taking sides here... did it very slyly.

Presidents should not be passing such comments on trials..

Great post. I think this is the most reasonable response and probably represents what the majority of people on here think.

That's a leap to claim that it represents the majority of the people on here. It's actually pretty fringe in terms of those claiming some injustice in terms of him getting convicted...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I bet they still burn the city
    How did that work out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Billy Mays wrote: »
    How did that work out for you?

Same as it always does tbf.

It’s not just the jury..I know well that they were isolated.

His comments to the people...

He should not be passing comment like he did in such an emotive trial that may possibly result in a lot of hostility and damage..

He was clearly taking sides here... did it very slyly.

Presidents should not be passing such comments on trials..

So no President before him has taken a side in any criminal case ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I also feel a bit conflicted over the verdict if I'm honest, I thought murder was a stretch to begin with, but I thought manslaughter was a shoo in, Chauvin was wrong, he was negligent, irresponsible and over the top and it contributed to George's death and he deserved to be punished, but there was also a lot of other things going on with George too thats hard to ignore...

But If Im honest the media coverage, hysteria and politicization of the whole thing turned this into a lynching.

Advertisement