Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You're heavily abusing hindsight. They wanted him to testify and he pleaded the fifth.

It's absurd that you think my suggestion makes no sense.

Well we're after the fact and you're saying in hindsight he should have been offered immunity to testify, but to what end? Chauvin was convicted on all counts.

Had you said this before the result then fair enough, but you're not. It makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Jequ0n wrote: »
    I agree that there was only one way the trial could go given the intense media coverage and pressure, so hardly a surprising outcome.

there was only one way it could have gone given the evidence presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Wake me up when a US President eggs his supporters to storm the capital in an act of treason and insurrection, and kill a few police officers while they are at it by caving their heads in with fire extinguishers.

Lies help no one. No police officer was murdered by having his head caved in with a fire extinguisher.

Five people died during or after the event: one was a Capitol Police officer, and four were among those who stormed or protested.

Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, 42, a 13-year veteran of the force, had a thromboembolic stroke the next day. On April 19, Sicknick's death was ruled to be from natural causes.

176207033_10165113916250258_1052207111800165278_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=TW2MB2lUMPoAX9Hw-x9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=33cc79dfe973ee55c6b05d24b87a98ed&oe=60A3A5A1

Why does the appearance of a juror matter? Seems pretty silly to attack a person based on their appearance, the defense are perfectly free to object to jurors. Although doing so based on their appearance would be a tad stupid...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

there was only one way it could have gone given the evidence presented.

Probably, but the jury is supposed to be neutral, which is near to impossible when there is such intense pressure from outside.

This isn’t over yet and you can bet that this argument will used in an appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

176207033_10165113916250258_1052207111800165278_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=TW2MB2lUMPoAX9Hw-x9&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=33cc79dfe973ee55c6b05d24b87a98ed&oe=60A3A5A1

Lol shows the intelligence of the Chauvin cheerleaders to buy that nonsense.

If its on the tweeter its must be true. Justice for DeRek!

Probably, but the jury is supposed to be neutral, which is near to impossible when there is such intense pressure from outside.

the jury is supposed to decide based on the evidence presented. with the evidence presented there is no other verdict they could have reached.

Why does the appearance of a juror matter? Seems pretty silly to attack a person based on their appearance, the defense are perfectly free to object to jurors. Although doing so based on their appearance would be a tad stupid...

well if they aren't middle-aged, white and male how are they supposed to make the right decision? everybody knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I respect the decision, I just don't necessarily think it was the right one. Just like OJ Simpson, people respected the decision, no right wing riots occurred, but deep down everyone knows it was a bit iffy.

Why would the OJ trial have caused right wing riots? Bizarre comment.
    The consensus was he got away with murder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

well if they aren't middle-aged, white and male how are they supposed to make the right decision? everybody knows that.

You are letting yourself down by assuming people who disagree with you are motivated by racism. Lazy lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I can't see how people can't see this as anything other than murder. Imagine you're handcuffed, 3 men holding down, a fourth man kneeling on your neck for 9 minutes. You're whole body goes limp, the man crushing your windpipe continues to do it uptil you died.

I don't care if the person on the ground is black, white, rapist etc. The person doing the kneeling is a killer and should be punished.

You are letting yourself down by assuming people who disagree with you are motivated by racism. Lazy lazy.

if the cap fits ...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Oh no! One of the jurors is a young person on social media! Clearly because she's not in her 40s, wearing a virtue-saving neckline dress while praying to god, that must mean she is incapable of coming to a reasonable and rational conclusion.

I bet she used her witchcraft to influence the other 12 jurors too.

We have a 9-minute video of a man being murdered by a cop kneeling on his neck on the ground while he is completely restrained otherwise, begging to be able to breathe.
    If that wasn't enough, we were presented with a gigantic mountain of evidence which not only removed the reasonable doubts (this is standard practice), they also eliminated the unreasonable doubts (he died from a drug overdose).
    12 independent jurors, after hearing all of the evidence over several days, came to the same conclusion in a relatively short space of time.

And yet, you still have some people who think that the conviction is unsafe or otherwise an error or a conspiracy. Because it doesn't suit their own personal bias.

Absolute detachment from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Tork

I think your sarcasm detector hasn't kicked in yet this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

pjohnson wrote: »
    Still kinda amusing to see Chauvin fans still insisting that Floyd was resisting while he was unconscious.

Great point , we will all forget about the time before that and then your argument is good. You win

In fairness, getting in strops about the appearance of jurors is incredibly stupid which is what we're discussing..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

so he should just shut up when his opinion is one you dislike? He is entitled to state his opinion. his opinion was entirely reasonable.

What?

Where did I suggest he should shut up if it’s an opinion “I don’t like?”

He should shut up, period. No matter what side one is on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

When that counterargument is punctuated by equally lazy race tropes the point is valid. Even with such a jury the evidence still points the same way but some would still find other faults with it.

Great point , we will all forget about the time before that and then your argument is good. You win

chauvin was on trial for one incident, not something prior.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    What?

Where did I suggest he should shut up if it’s an opinion “I don’t like?”

He should shut up, period. No matter what side one is on.

you wouldn't have objected if you agreed with what he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

seamus wrote: »
    Oh no! One of the jurors is a young person on social media! Clearly because she's not in her 40s, wearing a virtue-saving neckline dress while praying to god, that must mean she is incapable of coming to a reasonable and rational conclusion.

I bet she used her witchcraft to influence the other 12 jurors too.

We have a 9-minute video of a man being murdered by a cop kneeling on his neck on the ground while he is completely restrained otherwise, begging to be able to breathe.

Absolute detachment from reality.

Cameras lie...
    https://twitter.com/LouRaguse/status/1379171775876055042

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Wait, people really think that this decision was wrong? Lol

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I can't see how people can't see this as anything other than murder. Imagine you're handcuffed, 3 men holding down, a fourth man kneeling on your neck for 9 minutes. You're whole body goes limp, the man crushing your windpipe continues to do it uptil you died.

I don't care if the person on the ground is black, white, rapist etc. The person doing the kneeling is a killer and should be punished.

If you saw any of the extended bodycam footage..the dude was having a heart attack from too many drugs while being arrested..he couldn't breathe before Chauvin ever went near him..He wanted to be put on the ground..he was lashing out.. yeah, it was unfortunate they didn't realize earlier.. but to call it murder is ridiculous..

The only outcome of this is the next generation of police won't join.. with all the knock on consequences of that..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

you wouldn't have objected if you agreed with what he said.

This is absurd..

And you have nothing to back it up.

I absolutely would have objected. I clearly said that his commenting here is wrong, period.

A U.S. President should not be giving his opinion on what verdict he wants from any trial..

This point is completely lost in you. Maybe because you are too involved on what you wanted to happen..

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Green Peter

chauvin was on trial for one incident, not something prior.

You know what I mean, prior to going onconsious, you are not that silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

The burden of proof is on the defence in this case.

walshb wrote: »
    This is absurd..

And you have nothing to back it up.

I absolutely would have objected. I clearly said that his commenting here is wrong, period.

A U.S. President should not be giving his opinion on what verdict he wants from any trial..

This point is completely lost in you. Maybe because you are too involved on what you wanted to happen..

so a president can never comment on a specific crime?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,287 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

the jury is supposed to decide based on the evidence presented. with the evidence presented there is no other verdict they could have reached.

There is no debate that Chauvin caused the death of the man, but you seem to be very sure that murder is the right term and not manslaughter.

Anyway, we weren’t on the jury, but I don’t envy the jurors given the pressure on them

• Advertisement

You know what I mean, prior to going onconsious, you are not that silly.

chauvin was convicted for what he did after floyd became unconscious. if he stopped at that point he would still be a police officer. what happened prior to that is irrelevant.

Advertisement