Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,952 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

He had covid but I believe he had recovered?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

ELM327 wrote: »
    The usual trial by social media.

These people were around for other trials too, the rugby trial etc. Convicted before the case and evidence was even heard.

In this case, you've indicated yourself that the killing was homicide and that Mr Chavin is culpable.

So if there's a trial by social media like you say, you are contributing

MrStuffins wrote: »
    In this case, you've indicated yourself that the killing was homicide and that Mr Chavin is culpable.

I've indicated my opinion.

I've indicated my opinion.

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I see fit to form an opinion based on first and third hand reports , same as everyone else.
    Sure, but where that opinion differs from the opinion of experts with first-hand access to the data, you're going to be asked to discuss why you believe your insight to be superior.

We can spend all day discussing the grey areas, but if we start disputing things that are effectively legal fact - like the fact that Chauvin kneeling on Floyd is what caused him to die - we may as well give up.

• Advertisement

Seek help.
    Wow!

I was under the impression that if you died and had covid in your system, you would be recorded in the covid fatality numbers.

I was wondering if this was the case here.

seamus wrote: »
    Sure, but where that opinion differs from the opinion of experts with first-hand access to the data, you're going to be asked to discuss why you believe your insight to be superior.

We can spend all day discussing the grey areas, but if we start disputing things that are effectively legal fact - like the fact that Chauvin kneeling on Floyd is what caused him to die - we may as well give up.
    Can you outline a definition of "legal fact" and how something that has not been tested in a court yet can constitute legal fact.

I was under the impression that if you died and had covid in your system, you would be recorded in the covid fatality numbers.

I was wondering if this was the case here.

Your attitude towards the killing of this man says a lot. Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

But the man knelt on his neck pressing his full bodyweight down on him for 9 minutes when he was flat on his stomach and in handcuffs and not resisting plus complaining of not being able to breath...

...this cop had a pivotal role in this mans death,...... cop deserves everything thats coming to him.

apart from what's in red, no quibble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

jeez, talk about paranoid. the irish government decide to lift restrictions just because a trial has started in a different jurisdiction. I know you normally post nonsense but that is exceptional.

Except that isnt what I said at all, but you knew that, its just easy for you to jump to insane conclusions.

Your attitude towards the killing of this man says a lot. Incredible!

Excuse me? What attitude?

Asking if his death was included in the official covid fatality figures is not showing any attitude.

Saying I want to see all prosecution and defense evidence before coming to a decision is not showing any attitude.

What attitude should I have exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

In 2010 David Smith from minneapolis was restrained by officers in much the same way as floyd....they used tasers etc they then decided to remove him from the ymca where he had been causing disruption but because smith was a paid up member he refused ...the police officers said he was resisting them and decided after using the taser gun on him and knocking him to the floor they turned him facedown and one officer put his knee into smiths back for aprox 4mins plus whilst the other police officer restrained the bottom half of his body...using a tactic known as prone restraint (which is allowed in minneapolis) this is known to restrict a person's ability to take in oxygen...when they finally released him he was not breathing...paramedics arrived and the guy lasted for about one week in hospital..
    The coronor findings were that he died from mechanical asphyxia caused by the use of the prone restraint...the two officers were put on temporary suspension but were back at work within a month..
    The smith family later sued minneapolis city for alledged use of excessive force and were compensated with 3.5million the two officers were cleared of any wrongdoing...officers were suppose to have been retrained in the use of restraint tactics in minneapolis whether they were idk..

So why is derik chavins case any different??? yes yes apart from 9mins but smith's time could have been equally as long held in that position..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Except that isnt what I said at all, but you knew that, its just easy for you to jump to insane conclusions.

you're fooling nobody
    that late inclusion is awfully coincidental.

In 2010 David Smith from minneapolis was restrained by officers in much the same way as floyd....they used tasers etc they then decided to remove him from the ymca where he had been causing disruption but because smith was a paid up member he refused ...the police officers said he was resisting them and decided after using the taser gun on him and knocking him to the floor they turned him facedown and one officer put his knee into smiths back for aprox 4mins plus whilst the other police officer restrained the bottom half of his body...using a tactic known as prone restraint this is known to restrict a person's ability to take in oxygen...when they finally released him he was not breathing...paramedics arrived and the guy lasted for about one week in hospital..
    The coronor findings were that he died from mechanical asphyxia caused by the use of the prone restraint...the two officers were put on temporary suspension but were back at work within a month..
    The smith family later sued minneapolis city for alledged use of excessive force and were compensated with 3.5million the two officers were cleared of any wrongdoing...officers were suppose to have been retrained in the use of restraint tactics in minneapolis whether they were idk..

So why is derik chavins case any different??? yes yes apart from 9mins but smith's time could have been equally as long held in that position..
    The difference is there was no baying mob that time.

Excuse me? What attitude?

Asking if his death was included in the official covid fatality figures is not showing any attitude.

Saying I want to see all prosecution and defense evidence before coming to a decision is not showing any attitude.

What attitude should I have exactly?

As the poster below said......
    you're fooling nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 26,281 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

you're fooling nobody

The way youve framed it is that I think all the lifting of restrictions are related to this, I don’t , but Up till yesterday we had no mention of easing restrictions on protesting , not a bit, then since last night that is on the table as part of the easment. We saw the superspreader protests after George died , we saw the superspreader mini riots in blanchardstown , I do believe somebody in the government advisory capacity last night decided that including protesting restrictions easing , knowing that a riot was going to come out of this no matter what is a possibility. The woke brigade love bringing stateside issues here, lifting the restrictions would ease the burden the government would have to deploy in garda respurces to try contain the eventual riot stemming from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Homicide is different in autopsies then the legal definition, right. It just means that someone else contributed to the death. It doesnt mean the actions are unjustified.

(
    As the poster below said......

A non answer. We will leave it there.

In between not answering a direct question and constantly, and intentionally, misrepresenting other posters, I have reason to believe you are arguing in bad faith.

The difference is there was no baying mob that time.

the difference is that America as a country is no longer as tolerant to police officers killing people as it once was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If I had a 6 inch and 50 lb advantage over the cop, after resisting already, and off my face on narcotics, I'd rate my chances highly of getting to my feet and resisting some more.

How would you even get to your feet when your hands are in handcuffs and theres a cop restraining you with a knee on your neck? Are you saying you would be able to get to your feet and then outrun a cop while in handcuffs?

And you didnt answer the question- why do you feel there was a need to restrain Flody with a knee on his neck when he was already face down and handcuffed? Do you not think that restraining him with a knee anywhere on his back would have achieved the same objective of making sure he could not get to his feet and then somehow outrun a cop (armed with a gun, baton and pepper spray) whilst handcuffed?

Homicide is different in autopsies then the legal definition, right. It just means that someone else contributed to the death. It doesnt mean the actions are unjustified.

Homicide is the act of one human killing another.

Mr Chavin killed Mr Floyd according to the autopsies.

The way youve framed it is that I think all the lifting of restrictions are related to this, I don’t , but Up till yesterday we had no mention of easing restrictions on protesting , not a bit, then since last night that is on the table as part of the easment.

I didnt frame it that way at all. you suggested that this particular lifting of restrictions is linked to the trial that has just started. Tin foil hat lunacy of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Homicide is the act of one human killing another.

Mr Chavin killed Mr Floyd according to the autopsies.

That's the legal definition.

This is the autopsy definition:
    It is important to note that the medical term “homicide” is different from the legal definition of “homicide.” “Homicide” in medical terms means that the death is caused by either direct or indirect actions of another personor persons. “Homicide” does NOT mean murder, manslaughter or any negligence has occurred.

homicide in the autopsy does not mean that Chauvin is guilty of murder or manslaughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I think there was more to it than it being about race. I think they knew each other previously as they worked at the same club so there could be bad blood there . In the cops camera everything was going along normally till he started freaking out when they tried to put him in the squad car . So for everyone thinking he just arrested him and started kneeling on his neck it didn't just happen like that . I'm not trying to justify what the cop done but I don't think the cop will get done for murder , as murder has to be premeditated. I still think he'll get locked up though .

You said there was probably bad blood between them but that the cop couldn't be found guilty of premeditating.

???

Might as well toss a coin. What will it be?

That's the legal definition.

This is the autopsy definition:
    It is important to note that the medical term “homicide” is different from the legal definition of “homicide.” “Homicide” in medical terms means that the death is caused by either direct or indirect actions of another person or persons.

Yes. The other person in this case being Mr Chavin

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

In 2010 David Smith from minneapolis was restrained by officers in much the same way as floyd....they used tasers etc they then decided to remove him from the ymca where he had been causing disruption but because smith was a paid up member he refused ...the police officers said he was resisting them and decided after using the taser gun on him and knocking him to the floor they turned him facedown and one officer put his knee into smiths back for aprox 4mins plus whilst the other police officer restrained the bottom half of his body...using a tactic known as prone restraint (which is allowed in minneapolis) this is known to restrict a person's ability to take in oxygen...when they finally released him he was not breathing...paramedics arrived and the guy lasted for about one week in hospital..

Apart from the fact that depriving the brain of oxygen for 4 minutes compared to 9 is literally the difference between life and death

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

I so glad there are so many experts on police procedure, legal experts and people who have years of experience in restraining large highly intoxicated resisting people on the internet

where would the world be with out ye

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

KaneToad wrote: »
    Would you not wait to hear all the evidence first?

Feelings matter more nowadays than facts, didn't you get the memo??

• Advertisement

Fandymo wrote: »
    Feelings matter more nowadays than facts, didn't you get the memo??

It doesnt matter about the trifling matter of a court trial these days. All you need is a memorable hashtag.

Advertisement