Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Overheal wrote: »
    Witnesses waiving their fifth amendment rights is fairly uncommon in defense proceedings. They leave it up to the prosecution to mount their case, cross examination generally yields far too much risk to defendants. It just gives ammunition unless you have something really, really exculpatory to add. Expressing an outpouring of remorse prior to verdict can just as easily be interpreted by a jury as guilt. There’s still a sentencing process and typically there defendants can make those type of please. Here though it simply seems unlikely his charges will get whittled down with the Brock Turner or Lindsay Lohan or whatever treatment. He murdered someone

This is now an irrevocable fact.
    Certain people will write walls of text, argue strenuously and vehemently, they will, and already are, clutch at any straw, conspiracy theory and outright lie to deny this fact that has now been put down in black and white.
    As I said, they are at best conspiracy theorists or at worst racially motivated, look at the big scary black man, of course the brave and plucky police officer had to defend himself from that monster!
    I bet they also think Trump won the election and the earth is flat.
    This has been settled. Put to bed. Resolved.
    It doesn't matter that some people can't accept reality.
    The world has to move on without them.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

walshb wrote: »
    I called this weeks ago. I knew he would be found guilty of something. Far too much outrage and hype and media scrutiny for him not to be convicted..

Surely he and his defence would have known that no matter what they did to defend, there would be a lot of evidence to convict, coupled with the global attention and outrage and all that..

Which brings me to Chauvin: why stay quiet and not testify? What had he to lose? Chances were that he was getting convicted.

Surely testifying and showing real human remorse and sorrow and being sorry would have given him some chance? As in, saying that he never ever intended to hurt or kill George, and that he never realised that George was truly in danger..

It just seems that his remaining quiet painted him as being inhuman, remorseless...

Sure, cross examination could have hurt him, but his case was already a tough ask for his defence. At least him speaking up to strongly deny that he never meant to hurt/kill Floyd, and that he is so sorry that George died that day.. this has to lend weight in the eyes of those judging him..

Most sensible post on here I've seen .... I agree I think it was obvious he was going to be convicted of something.... I don't think he thought/nelson had convinced him/nelson thought he would get guilty on all counts.
    He should have testified.....in the circumstances it was a bad mistake...
    Nobody will ever know what was going in his mind now/remorse...I saw how all american police officers are professionally trained for witness duty..

Thing is, the defence was terrible and that was why he lost. It was too difficult to establish any reasonable doubt.

Did you actually see the trial?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Detritus70 wrote: »
    Certain people will write walls of text, argue strenuously and vehemently, they will, and already are, clutch at any straw, conspiracy theory and outright lie to deny this fact that has now been put down in black and white.
    As I said, they are at best conspiracy theorists or at worst racially motivated, look at the big scary black man, of course the brave and plucky police officer had to defend himself from that monster!

You’re talking to the Q nation though. Clearly no matter how many courts tell you something they can still cry conspiracy and refuse to accept it. Here the white supremacists (sorry pro Anglo Saxon traditionalists or whatever they are calling themselves after “alt right” flopped hard) are already taking the angle that it’s all fixed and Maxine waters something something therefore Chauvin is somehow not a murdering convict.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't think being remorseful changes anything, in fact it could be used to indicate that he did commit the crime, given that he feels ashamed. It's not about feelings, its about facts. RE: pleading the 5th

I was just thinking today, that if Chauvin is not a white supremacist and I have no reason to think he is, he will have to become one to survive in prison. That's kind of sad but more a reflection on the terrible prison system.

• Advertisement

It wasn't a race crime...where's the evidence of that?
    I thought Trump should have won the election ...alot better than Biden/harris that's running it now....:)

I don't think being remorseful changes anything, in fact it could be used to indicate that he did commit the crime, given that he feels ashamed. It's not about feelings, its about facts.

I was just thinking today, that if Chauvin is not a white supremacists and I have no reason to think he is, he will have to become one to survive in prison. That's kind of sad but more a reflection on the terrible prison system.

I think it was wrong of the minneapolis mayor (or whoever) decided to pay out $27 million before the case was ever heard was a wrong thing to do (shows guilt)...plus the judge even didn't agree with this and wanted the trial date to be set to a later date because of the implications but was over ruled by officials.

Someone might answer me this.....Has Chauvan been found guilty of intentional manslaughter along with non intentional manslaughter?

how does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Someone might answer me this.....Has Chauvan been found guilty of intentional manslaughter along with non intentional manslaughter?

how does that work?

Hang on, you've been posting here that the verdicts are wrong and you don't even understand the charges!

How can anyone take you seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Fentanyl is the last straw the racists desperately and grimly cling to, no matter the facts.

OMG, we're racist now?

It's racist to acknowledge Floyd had three times the fatal dosage of fentanyl in his system?

Are you one of these people who thinks George Floyd's death was a racist killing?

Jesus Christ, what is happening to people, I never realised this idiotic "racism everywhere" mentality had come to Ireland.

• Advertisement

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Hang on, you've been posting here that the verdicts are wrong and you don't even understand the charges!

Maybe I don't agree with mr.chauvan getting jailed? idk make more sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Smee_Again wrote: »

To be fair his charges have been controversial. A Minnesota judge ruled last October that they couldnt charge him with second degree murder but the prosecution overturned it in the state’s Court of Appeals https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-trial-murder-charge-explained-5e7c935f560219caee61fcc0bef0a23d

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56827436
    US President Joe Biden has said the conviction of a former police officer in the killing of George Floyd "can be a giant step forward in the march toward justice in America".

But he warned: "We can't stop here".

"A huge step" said Biden, also "we can't stop there" ?? what more do the mob want ?

You will never appease these people, ever, they will want more and more until a police officer can do nothing against a black person.

While the verdict has been delivered, there are grounds for an appeal and a mistrial. It will be interesting.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    OMG, we're racist now?

It's racist to acknowledge Floyd had three times the fatal dosage of fentanyl in his system?

Are you one of these people who thinks George Floyd's death was a racist killing?

Jesus Christ, what is happening to people, I never realised this idiotic "racism everywhere" mentality had come to Ireland.

Seemingly lots of people in america think george floyd's death was racist....idk I thought it was a black guy called the police officers in the first place...even the president seems to be treating it as racist....who'd be a police officer if in america?

Does he get the same lawyer Nelson for the appeal ?... I know there's a new jury/judge

who'd be a police officer if in america?

White supremacists according to some here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Seemingly lots of people in america think george floyd's death was racist....idk I thought it was a black guy called the police officers in the first place...even the president seems to be treating it as racist....who'd be a police officer if in america?

Systematic racism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

It's nuts, I think Chauvin would have done the same to a white guy if he acted that way (not excusing it, just pointing out that it's police brutality and not racism...)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Does he get the same lawyer Nelson for the appeal ?... I know there's a new jury/judge

Yes. Attorneys normally only can’t be excused from a case when it’s well underway and it can be shown that the attorney leaving would be disruptive to due process. This docket is wrapped up and the appeal is basically a subsequent docket.

• Advertisement

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Systematic racism

How does systemic racism apply to this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

NOTHING you have posted in this thread has made any real sense.

You are only continually bleating the same message over and over again. You want Chauvin to get away with killing Floyd.

We get it.

Other than that, you have absolutely nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

So you've no idea about anything, just a gut feeling that he doesn't deserve jail.

Thank God you weren't a member of the jury

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Are you suggesting this incident was racially motivated?

And of course racism exists, but unfortunately when people describe any bad thing that happens to a person of colour as racism, it dilutes the severity of the word and it starts to lose all meaning.

And imagine white people not wanting to be discriminated against because of their skin colour.....

Nope.

Just suggesting that there are people on this forum who have problems with black people and are showcasing it right now by trying to defend this murdering scumbag and, in a lot of cases, victim blame.

As I have said multiple times. Dissent, deny, deflect and distract. Those same posters are happy to talk about anything to do with this case apart from the fact a white police officer murdered an unarmed black man.

Not really.

It’s clear you don’t understand the charges and the differences between but you’re adamant that Chauvin is innocent.

So I’ll repeat my question how can anyone take you seriously when you don’t really know what’s going on.

Overheal wrote: »
    Yes. Attorneys normally only can’t be excused from a case when it’s well underway and it can be shown that the attorney leaving would be disruptive to due process. This docket is wrapped up and the appeal is basically a subsequent docket.

I'm pretty sure for an appeal he can instruct whoever he wants. The case is decided, an appeal will look at grounds as to why the verdict/case was unfair, if there's new evidence, reasons why the conviction should not stand. It is not a continuation of the case, its a review.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Those same posters are happy to talk about anything to do with this case apart from the fact a white police officer murdered an unarmed black man.

Because the colour of the people has nothing to do with this case.

Why would you bring race into it?

There wouldn't be a jury for an appeal, only for a retrial.

To be fair his charges have been controversial. A Minnesota judge ruled last October that they couldnt charge him with second degree murder but the prosecution overturned it in the state’s Court of Appeals https://apnews.com/article/derek-chauvin-trial-murder-charge-explained-5e7c935f560219caee61fcc0bef0a23d

Irrelevant.

PP is ignorant to the differences between the charges, that’s easily fixed by reading the judge’s instructions to the jury.

They haven’t done that and are claiming the verdicts are wrong while also confessing to not understanding the charges. Why should anyone pay any more attention to that poster?

A complete waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

how does that work?

Did you actually see the trial?

Advertisement