Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Because the colour of the people has nothing to do with this case.

Why would you bring race into it?

Surely nobody could actually pretend race is not an element in this case?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Tony EH wrote: »
    NOTHING you have posted in this thread has made any real sense.

You are only continually bleating the same message over and over again. You want Chauvin to get away with killing Floyd.

We get it.

Other than that, you have absolutely nothing else.

Do you really think I care what you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

Overheal wrote: »

Why is it an element though ? do you think the cops would have treated him differently if he were white ?

But everything else was the same ...

Did you actually see the trial?

no did you?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Irrelevant.

PP is ignorant to the differences between the charges, that’s easily fixed by reading the judge’s instructions to the jury.

They haven’t done that and are claiming the verdicts are wrong while also confessing to not understanding the charges. Why should anyone pay any more attention to that poster?

A complete waste of time.

Well, I'm so sorry for been so stupid perhaps you should ignore me in future...like I'll ignore you ...have a nice day :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

When's the appeal? Do they have to wait until after sentencing?

I'm more shocked that you actually believe it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

no did you?

Didn’t see the trial.
    Doesn’t understand the charges.

Wants to be taken seriously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Yes. Attorneys normally only can’t be excused from a case when it’s well underway and it can be shown that the attorney leaving would be disruptive to due process. This docket is wrapped up and the appeal is basically a subsequent docket.

In the US, appeal lawyers tend to be different to trial lawyers so he will probably have a different lawyer.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

TomSweeney wrote: »
    It's nuts, I think Chauvin would have done the same to a white guy if he acted that way (not excusing it, just pointing out that it's police brutality and not racism...)

Look at the killing of Daniel Shaver, killed on his knees in his hotel room, begging not to be shot. The police were there as he was seen walking by his hotel room with a pellet gun. He was shot five times as he was seen to lowing one hand towards his waist, which it is believed he did as his briefs were falling off. He was drunk so struggled to comply with police instructions. But he was white so the media buried the case. Vastly worse case than the killing of George Floyd and he wasn't convicted a criminal like GF. But no protests. No outrage. No one cares.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42277309

• Advertisement

Didn’t see the trial.
    Doesn’t understand the charges.

Wants to be taken seriously :)

Oh I think if you read some of my previous posts I definitely watched the trial...

Faugheen wrote: »
    Nope.

Just suggesting that there are people on this forum who have problems with black people and are showcasing it right now by trying to defend this murdering scumbag and, in a lot of cases, victim blame.

As I have said multiple times. Dissent, deny, deflect and distract. Those same posters are happy to talk about anything to do with this case apart from the fact a white police officer murdered an unarmed black man.

It's actually funny that you're resorting to calling people racists over it..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Was there any reference to race in the trial? I don't know, not being a smart arse by asking that. It appeared as a case of police brutality to me, so the verdict seems spot on. If there was a racial element involved, I'd be asking questions about how a police officer could be on active duty if he/she had racist leanings.

Well it wasn’t at all pleaded by the prosecution so that tells its own story.

It’s certainly possible that Chauvin had an inherent bias against black people but in my view (completely speculative just like everyone else’s) he is as likely to have had an inherent bias against ‘junkies’ and faced with someone with all of floyds characteristics who was Hispanic/white, he probably would have done the same thing.

Would someone explain to me why the black people around george floyd plaza don't want police officers to patrol that neighbourhood only want their own security? that seems strange to me..

Look at the killing of Daniel Shaver, killed on his knees in his hotel room, begging not to be shot. The police were there as he was seen walking by his hotel room with a pellet gun. He was shot five times as he was seen to lowing one hand towards his waist, which it is believed he did as his briefs were falling off. He was drunk so struggled to comply with police instructions. But he was white so the media buried the case. Vastly worse case than the killing of George Floyd and he wasn't convicted a criminal like GF. But no protests. No outrage. No one cares.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42277309

Huh.

I’ll shortcut the pedantry here and just advice you that there are reams of reporting on the Daniel Shaver case from across the spectrum available just taps away by search engine. I don’t see how you get from there to a media coverup.

Would someone explain to me why the black people around george floyd plaza don't want police officers to patrol that neighbourhood only want their own security? that seems strange to me..

Because they don’t trust the police

PauloMN wrote: »
    Was there any reference to race in the trial? I don't know, not being a smart arse by asking that. It appeared as a case of police brutality to me, so the verdict seems spot on. If there was a racial element involved, I'd be asking questions about how a police officer could be on active duty if he/she had racist leanings.

I didn’t watch the trial so I frankly don’t know what the prosecutions strategy was or if it hinges on, referenced or was dismissive of race.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

drkpower wrote: »
    Because they don’t trust the police

I wonder if 12 months of no policing in their area would change their minds? Look how that Seattle experiment yoke turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I am posting a screenshot of the Minnesota Police Department training manual that shows a policeman's knee being placed on the neck of a suspect. It is called the prone maxial restraint technique.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I didn’t watch the trial so I frankly don’t know what the prosecutions strategy was or if it hinges on, referenced or was dismissive of race.

I didn't watch it either, but I find it interesting that some people assume a racial element. Genuinely curious as to why you asked this:

Is it simply because the victim was black and the perpetrator is white? Is that alone enough to assume a racial element is part of the crime? Does this always mean that by default a crime committed against a black person by a white person is at least partially racially motivated? That just seems bizarre to me.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I wonder if 12 months of no policing in their area would change their minds? Look how that Seattle experiment yoke turned out.

So we can establish both that the community categorically distrusts their police and that not having police or some form of government public safety is not a viable alternative.

I don’t think various versions of telling the public to **** off and just accept things the way they are is going to crack this nut.

I am posting a screenshot of the Minnesota Police Department training manual that shows a policeman's knee being placed on the neck of a suspect. It is called the prone maxial restraint technique.

And? That literally says to put them in the recovery position once they're cuffed, did Chauvin do or attempt to do that?

Ah come on, Chauvin’s weight was bearing down on Floyd.

In your image the officer is supporting his own weight.

You couldn’t be more disingenuous if you tried.

Overheel wrote: »
    Do you have a source for this?

Well you could try looking at the star tribune? dated march 15,2021.
    I think if you google you will probably find alot more.

Ah come on, Chauvin’s weight was bearing down on Floyd.

In your image the officer is supporting his own weight.

You couldn’t be more disingenuous if you tried.

Floyd was twice the size of Chauvin..

Three of them couldn't get him into the car..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Oranage2 wrote: »
    What's in it for me?

Justice.

Justice for a man that lay helpless on the ground as another man slowly kneeled on his neck until he died.

Justice for the black community that unlawful killings by police will not go unpunished.

Justice that law enforcement can be accountable.

Justice

Ah, so you want justice for blacks but not for whites. Sounds like you may be the thing you're fighting against.

No sane person thinks Chauvin was guilty of all three charges. Mob rule is what got him convicted and you should be against that as it could happen to you.

Well you could try looking at the star tribune? dated march 15,2021.
    I think if you google you will probably find alot more.

If you don’t have a source that’s fine too I guess but the burden of proof is yours.

So? He was prone on the ground about shin height at that stage.

• Advertisement

Three of them couldn't get him into the car..

Does Floyd being heavier then Chauvin make Chauvin weightless? If not then given the context here I’m really unsure what point you’re making.

Advertisement