Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I am posting a screenshot of the Minnesota Police Department training manual that shows a policeman's knee being placed on the neck of a suspect. It is called the prone maxial restraint technique.

"Sudden cardiac arrest typically occurs immediately following a violent struggle"
    "Place the subject in the recovery position to alleviate positional asphyxia"

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

drkpower wrote: »
    Because they don’t trust the police

That's silly ...you all need to learn to live together in harmony.
    Perhaps, it would be better if all american's couldn't access weapons/guns so easily ....must be difficult to be a police officer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Overheal wrote: »
    So we can establish both that the community categorically distrusts their police and that not having police or some form of government public safety is not a viable alternative.

I don’t think various versions of telling the public to **** off and just accept things the way they are is going to crack this nut.

Hey, it's not me looking for no police in the George Floyd plaza neighbourhood, it's the black citizens themselves who are looking for this.

And my point is that things will turn to sh1t if they get their wish. Communities need policing no matter what the locals say. If not, they'll turn out like that Autonomous Zone in Seattle that was effectively taken over by criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Do you really think I care what you think?

You're nothing but a time waster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

And? That literally says to put them in the recovery position once they're cuffed, did Chauvin do or attempt to do that?

The manuals says to use a variant of the recovery position, which Chauvin did indeed put him on. GF died in this recovery position. The mistake Chauvin made was not checking his pulse and moving him when he became unresponsive. It is also very possible he placed too much pressure on the neck killing him, alternatively it possible he moved to shoulder as GF stopped responding as below and didnt kill him. It is very unclear.

https://twitter.com/louraguse/status/1379171775876055042

Steven Crowder did a pretty cool reconstruction https://youtu.be/5qHLXbVDnkc?t=4681

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Tony EH wrote: »

Ignored....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

The manuals says to use a variant of the recovery position, which Chauvin did indeed put him on. GF died in this recovery position. The mistake Chauvin made was not checking his pulse and moving him when he became unresponsive. It is also very possible he placed too much pressure on the neck killing him, alternatively it possible he moved to shoulder as GF stopped responding as below and didnt kill him. It is very unclear.

https://twitter.com/louraguse/status/1379171775876055042

Steven Crowder did a pretty cool reconstruction https://youtu.be/5qHLXbVDnkc?t=4681

Did you miss the verdicts?

There’s no possible any more, it’s been established by a court of law that Floyd was murdered by Chauvin.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Hey, it's not me looking for no police in the George Floyd plaza neighbourhood, it's the black citizens themselves who are looking for this.

And my point is that things will turn to sh1t if they get their wish. Communities need policing no matter what the locals say. If not, they'll turn out like that Autonomous Zone in Seattle that was effectively taken over by criminals.

No but it is you telling them proverbially to **** off and see how you like zero policing if you have the gall to demand a police force you don’t have to live in fear of.

I didn’t watch the trial so I frankly don’t know what the prosecutions strategy was or if it hinges on, referenced or was dismissive of race.

Well that explains why you don't understand that this wasn't a racially motivated case.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,232 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ignored....

Just like you ignored the basics of the trial that you've been yapping about for 170 pages. You haven't a bull's notion what you're trying to talk about and you expect people to try and take you even remotely seriously on your ill informed crusade for Chauvin...

...and you don't even know what fucking charges he was up for.

Absolutely cretinous.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The manuals says to use a variant of the recovery position, which Chauvin did indeed put him on.

What variant of the recovery position did Chauvin put him on?

Does Floyd being heavier then Chauvin make Chauvin weightless? If not then given the context here I’m really unsure what point you’re making.

The fact that Derek Chauvin was a far smaller man makes it far harder to block GF's airway. You should watch the Steven Crowder reconstruction where they mimicked the weights of DC and GF.

Well that explains why you don't understand that this wasn't a racially motivated case.

You are more than welcome to attempt to prove the negative if you’re going to be that combative about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The fact that Derek Chauvin was a far smaller man makes it far harder to block GF's airway. You should watch the Steven Crowder reconstruction where they mimicked the weights of DC and GF.

So what you’re arguing is that Chauvin tried that much harder to pull off what he did

I hope you see how inculpatory that argument is

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because the colour of the people has nothing to do with this case.

Why would you bring race into it?

And now you are deflecting away from the issue at hand.

I’m talking about certain posters attitudes to black people and to racism in general. Yet you are not only ignoring that but you are deflecting.

This trial and the blindness of some posters shows their prejudice. There are racists on boards. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No but it is you telling them proverbially to **** off and see how you like zero policing if you have the gall to demand a police force you don’t have to live in fear of.

I didn't say that at all, not even close. Please try to keep things accurate.

I surmised that they'd be quick to change their mind if they had 12 months of no policing given what happened when there was no policing in an area of Seattle.

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Did you miss the verdicts?

There’s no possible any more, it’s been established by a court of law that Floyd was murdered by Chauvin.

Pending appeal

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Ignored....
    Just like you ignored the basics of the trial that you've been yapping about for 170 pages. You haven't a bull's notion what you're trying to talk about and you expect people to try and take you even remotely seriously on your ill informed crusade for Chauvin...

...and you don't even know what fucking charges he was up for.

Absolutely cretinous.

:rolleyes:

Mod

Both of you dont post here again.

Faugheen wrote: »
    And now you are deflecting away from the issue at hand.

I’m talking about certain posters attitudes to black people and to racism in general. Yet you are not only ignoring that but you are deflecting.

This trial and the blindness of some posters shows their prejudice. There are racists on boards. Fact.

I'm not deflecting. I am dealing with the topic. The trial of Derek chauvin. I'm saying that this case isn't racially motivated and you are implying it is.

You are bringing race into this.

There probably are racist on boards. Probably paedophiles too. But I see no evidence of either on this topic.

• Advertisement

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I didn't say that at all, not even close. Please try to keep things accurate.

I surmised that they'd be quick to change their mind if they had 12 months of no policing given what happened when there was no policing in an area of Seattle.

Sorry but it came off that way. And it’s how it comes off when that talking point gets used. The vast majority of us agree what happened in Seattle was a farce with tragic consequences. Most Americans simultaneously agree that “defund the police” is a stupid, stupid, stupid Banner for what most Americans agree are good ideas: use of force reforms, repealing qualified immunity, divesting money to teams better suited to respond to many grades of mental health disturbances, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Let's call it racially charged then. Your attempt to completely remove race from the trial is as ludicrous as somebody pulling the race card for everything.

You are more than welcome to attempt to prove the negative if you’re going to be that combative about it?

I'm not combative. The fact is that there is no proof or evidence whatsoever that there was any racial element to this case.

You are saying there is.

Let's call it racially charged then. Your attempt to completely remove race from the trial is as ludicrous as somebody pulling the race card for everything.

How?

How is anything about this racially charged?

Penn wrote: »

Watch the actual video instead of selective edits on Twitter. There are plenty of occasions where the fake cop was fully on Crowder's neck. For example https://youtu.be/5qHLXbVDnkc?t=4933
    But as I said before, you cant fully replicate the scenario that occurred in real life. People neck and torsos vary. Crowder has a similar weight but he in far better shape then GF sagger body might have been more vulnerable. Also had fentanyl levels that can be fatal in him. The point I would make is that there is ample reasonable doubt, even though the neck move is dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

That's silly ...you all need to learn to live together in harmony.
    Perhaps, it would be better if all american's couldn't access weapons/guns so easily ....must be difficult to be a police officer.

Sure let’s all live in harmony; we can all agree on that.

But there is a reality that a sizeable portion of the population in the US don’t trust law enforcement; you can argue the toss in whether that’s justified. I’m not one for ‘identity politics’ and the like, but to be fair, unless you have had the experience they have had, it’s very hard to second guess their position. And even objectively speaking, there are very good reasons for their distrust.

While a different context, we have had a similar dynamic in this island so we should be capable of understanding their position to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Race was absolutely an issue in this case. But purely contrived and manufactured.

No actual evidence or substance to suggest the incident was racially motivated.

Man commits crime. Police deal with him. Man dies. Cop charged. Cop guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Detritus70

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    OMG, we're racist now?

It's racist to acknowledge Floyd had three times the fatal dosage of fentanyl in his system?

Yes it is, because it is a flat out lie

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

walshb wrote: »
    Race was absolutely an issue in this case. But purely contrived and manufactured.

No actual evidence or substance to suggest the incident was racially motivated.

Man commits crime. Police deal with him. Man dies. Cop charged. Cop guilty.

America does have a problem with systemic racism, while Chauvin isn't an innocent in my opinion, he was put to the sword big time for a wider problem, no evidence in this case suggests it's race related, he's been used as a scapegoat but at the same time I struggle to find much sympathy for him, so many of his actions were hugely unnecessary and callous and he's paying for it.

• Advertisement

I'm not combative. The fact is that there is no proof or evidence whatsoever that there was any racial element to this case.

You are saying there is.

Seems to be an absolutely absurd claim to anyone who has passing familiarity with this case. The defense even used the Rodney King argument, that he had “superhuman” strength. Superhuman. Last I checked blacks were only human.

I’m not sure how one could argue race plays no element when it so clearly does. The best olive branch I can give you is that the prosecutions case did not have to invoke racism as an element in their prosecution to secure convictions. That is not to say that race was not an element, only that it was not instrumental to securing conviction.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-04-03/derek-chauvin-trial-george-floyd-anger

You keep saying, matter of factly, that race wasn’t evident and that there is no proof or evidence that it is. Yet there is. It seems futile now to argue the negative.

Advertisement