Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Faugheen wrote: »
    I know, because you act like racism doesn’t exist anywhere, and you don’t believe there are racists on boards.

Thanks for confirming you’re only pushing an agenda like those very posters that I talk about.

Wow.

What a take.

I specifically said there are probably racists on boards, but I have seen no evidence of racism on this thread.

Racism does exist and it is a huge problem. But that doesn't give idiots carte blanche to attribute racism to all situations where the individuals are of a different race.

Nobody showed any evidence of racial elements.

I'm not trying to "get one over" on BLM or the media. I'm sick of race being used as a catch all for everything.

I'm not pushing any agenda.

Racism is a serious issue and to see it bandied about where there is none is disgusting.

These two statements appear in conflict.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Overheal wrote: »

I would prefer you to use your own words and arguments rather than someone else’s.

These two statements appear in conflict.

It's not an agenda.

I hate racism and I hate people using racism where there is none.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It's not an agenda.

But why do you get to say where racism is and is not? I mean I trust you are white. Why don't black people get to the be the judge of that?

Superhuman's do not exist. Neither does magic.

If he were superhuman why was one mortal man able to put him on the ground and kneel on him?

If he were superhuman why did he die?

Superhumans are things children believe in.

Drugs don't give you superhuman powers.

Yes but drugs can allow people to exhibit strength beyond what they are usually capable of.

drkpower wrote: »
    I would prefer you to use your own words and arguments rather than someone else’s.

Your preference is understood. I offered you that editorial which does a good enough job for my satisfaction. I wasn’t obliged to respond to your post at all. You asked for an elaboration on a broad reaching topic that I don’t frankly feel like regurgitating or plagiarizing when the link will suit anyone who has a “genuine” curiosity for the subject matter, they will go read through.

But why do you get to say where racism is and is not? I mean I trust you are white. Why don't black people get to the be the judge of that?

Because there is ZERO we evidence that racism is a factor.

And black people aren't a homogeneous group.

That's slightly racist to think they all have a hive mind don't you think?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Wow.

What a take.

I specifically said there are probably racists on boards, but I have seen no evidence of racism on this thread.

Racism does exist and it is a huge problem. But that doesn't give idiots carte blanche to attribute racism to all situations where the individuals are of a different race.

There are racists on boards. There is no ‘probably’ about it.

As for this thread, there is because those same posters are showing a similar pattern of behaviour that they bring to any thread involving minorities or immigrants.

That pattern of behaviour is dismiss, deny, deflect and distract.

You believe someone needs to actively use the n-word for them to be be a racist. Not the case. Many racists get through life without ever using a derogatory term.

You keep your head in the sand though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

And what % population do black people make up?

And yes that IS a rather alarming amount of white people shot who were unarmed.

Maybe something good for everyone can come out of this black lives matter stuff. eh?

It's not about population percentage, it's about police interaction.

Black people commit a very large amount of crime even though they are a small percentage of the population.

So when you look at the crime statistics it proves whites are targeted more than blacks.

I understand though no amount of data will change your mind.

Are you even willing to accept the fact 12 unarmed blacks were shot, or are you going to pretend it's 1000s?

Because there is ZERO we evidence that racism is a factor.

And black people aren't a homogeneous group.

That's slightly racist to think they all have a hive mind don't you think?

You’ve already been showed evidence that it played some degree of factor. It seems misplaced to pick this hill to die upon thusly.

It's not an agenda.

How can you hate racism when you don’t believe it occurs anywhere?

There are racists on boards. There is no ‘probably’ about it.

As for this thread, there is because those same posters are showing a similar pattern of behaviour that they bring to any thread involving minorities or immigrants.

That pattern of behaviour is dismiss, deny, deflect and distract.

You believe someone needs to actively use the n-word for them to be be a racist. Not the case. Many racists get through life without ever using a derogatory term.

You keep your head in the sand though.

You keep saying blatant lies. Where did I say that the "n word" needs to be used?

I've stated that racism is real and a problem.

There is no proof or indication that anything about this incident was racist.

You are simply lying and laughably trying to frame me as a racist or a racist sympathiser

Yes but drugs can allow people to exhibit strength beyond what they are usually capable of.
    Erm no they don't. Not without specific training. A steroid would do nothing for you against Armstrong on nothing.

What if black people say it is?

Racism does exist and it is a huge problem.
    Racism is a serious issue and to see it bandied about where there is none is disgusting.

More lies and dishonesty from you

If it can't be framed as the result of racism the very obvious conclusion that Chauvin had no reason to kill him, while being filmed by 5 different cameras, after calling an ambulance for him, shows the whole thing up for a farce..so it has to be racism..

What if some black people say it isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

What if some black people say it isn't?

Mod

What if we cut out the whataboutery?

• Advertisement

You’ve already been showed evidence that it played some degree of factor. It seems misplaced to pick this hill to die upon thusly.

I have seen zero evidence

I have seen zero evidence

Then you are on some other planet. I will leave you there.

You keep saying blatant lies. Where did I say that the "n word" needs to be used?

I've stated that racism is real and a problem.

You are simply lying and laughably trying to frame me as a racist or a racist sympathiser

Show me where I said there was a racial element to this incident? You keep throwing that line out when I have said I am talking about this thread. Distraction.

“You are simply lying” - dismiss

That’s two of the four d’s. I could go back through your posts and find the other two but I won’t.

This really is a weird hill to die on. There are racists on boards. That’s a fact. They are showing those patterns of behaviour in this thread. That is a fact. Stop moving the goalposts and face the fact that you picked a fight with me over something I never said.

Then you are on some other planet. I will leave you there.

I may have missed the evidence you say I was shown that indicated that this was a racist incident.

I'm more than happy to reconsider if you could point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Come on, you can't claim every arrest of a black person is racist, Black or white the cops were well within their rights to stop and arrest Floyd, the problem is how it was handled and their actions during the arrest...

By the way if anyone has any proof that this incident was race related id like to see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

How?

How is anything about this racially charged?

Because America has an extremely recent history with white supremacy and black slavery. I mean if you can't take that context and apply it to these events than you're either being deliberately obtuse or you're simply simple. You can choose.

I may have missed the evidence you say I was shown that indicated that this was a racist incident.

I'm more than happy to reconsider if you could point it out.

No, you are not. I am not interested in investing personal time into trying to hold a reasonable discussion with someone being wholly unreasonable and soapboxing a negative without proving said negative. You claimed there was zero evidence that race was elemental here, you were refuted (with evidence) and you’ve since pivoted off to “yeah well Uhm zero evidence it’s a racist incident then so there” having abandoned the claim that there is “zero proof or evidence that raced played an element”

So I’m done. You want to play a very queer game of ball and I’m not partaking anymore.

The thing is I hear people say this police murder was not about race. But then they must believe police are murdering all Americans. And I don't hear them protesting about it.

I mean the ones getting out to protest about police shooting a latino little boy (Adam Toledo) are BLM supporters.

I would not be surprised if THIS is the movement to eventually help ALL Americans have better police.

If you don't think it's about race. Then you must believe all americans are in danger from the police and I would be VERY worried about that.

I mean then it could be me or you next.

Show me where I said there was a racial element to this incident? You keep throwing that line out when I have said I am talking about this thread. Distraction.

“You are simply lying” - dismiss

That’s two of the four d’s. I could go back through your posts and find the other two but I won’t.

This really is a weird hill to die on. There are racists on boards. That’s a fact. They are showing those patterns of behaviour in this thread. That is a fact. Stop moving the goalposts and face the fact that you picked a fight with me over something I never said.

Maybe I have picked you up wrong.

Is your argument that while nothing about this incident was racist, there are an element of posters who are racist and are defending chauvin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

That's a strawman. No one here thinks racism doesn't occur anywhere. But it hasn't been shown to have occurred in George Floyds case. The argument that race was a factor hasn't gotten beyond the simple fact that Chauvin was white and Floyd was black.

Advertisement