Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Come on, you can't claim every arrest of a black person is racist, Black or white the cops were well within their rights to stop and arrest Floyd, the problem is how it was handled and their actions during the arrest...

By the way if anyone has any proof that this incident was race related id like to see it?
    But that is JUST my point.

Black people DO NOT claim every arrest of a black person is racist do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Overheal wrote: »
    Your preference is understood. I offered you that editorial which does a good enough job for my satisfaction. I wasn’t obliged to respond to your post at all. You asked for an elaboration on a broad reaching topic that I don’t frankly feel like regurgitating or plagiarizing when the link will suit anyone who has a “genuine” curiosity for the subject matter, they will go read through.

That’s just an opinion piece. I’m not asking for someone else’s opinion. I’m asking for the facts that underly your opinion.

The clear facts are that the prosecution didn’t advance that argument. You haven’t shown any facts yet but I’m willing to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

I get that people feel that differences in crime, and prison representation might give rise to the idea that police and justice system are out to get black people. However it is important to realise even within families there is inequality. Oldest children tend to do better. If equality cannot occur within families it is unlikely to occur between groups with different histories and culture. There is no country on earth where you have equality between all groups present. The US has some racism but far too little to explain the differences.

I see the posters who are still in denial about Chauvin's conviction and are trying to distract with all other irrelevant issues like race etc still haven't addressed any of the judge's guidance to the jury around the 3 counts, and how the jury didn't fulfil their sworn duty.

It's pointless engaging with these posters until they do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

drkpower wrote: »
    That’s just an opinion piece. I’m not asking for someone else’s opinion. I’m asking for the facts that underly your opinion.

The clear facts are that the prosecution didn’t advance that argument. You haven’t shown any facts yet but I’m willing to listen.
    I would prefer you to use your own words and arguments rather than someone else’s.

You aren’t making sense: first of all the defense did advance the superhuman strength argument so I don’t know how one would claim otherwise. Second that you’re not happy with an opinion piece where the author lays down facts that underly the observation yet demand that I lay down the facts that underly the observation. It’s not an efficient use of my time or yours. I took your “genuine” curiosity to mean you would be accommodating, rather than belligerent to furthering the meat of the discussing along rather than demanding the ritual of my rehashing the history of the superhuman strength defense in the court room when others have already done that for the both of us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

But that is JUST my point.

Black people DO NOT claim every arrest of a black person is racist do they?

No, they don’t. And I don’t think anyone is saying this.

But people in general are using color far too casually to label many incidents as race related, and many completely in the wrong, where color has eff all to do with it.

It’s gone ridiculously OTT..

People tripping over themselves to try and find racism where it does not exist..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

The thing is I hear people say this police murder was not about race. But then they must believe police are murdering all Americans. And I don't hear them protesting about it.

I mean the ones getting out to protest about police shooting a latino little boy (Adam Toledo) are BLM supporters.

I would not be surprised if THIS is the movement to eventually help ALL Americans have better police.

If you don't think it's about race. Then you must believe all americans are in danger from the police and I would be VERY worried about that.

I mean then it could be me or you next.

I tend to stay away from these discussions for a few reasons but I feel to worth chiming in here.
    There is a racism issue in America, as there is in many countries.
    There probably is an issue with excessive force by certain individuals also, as there can be anywhere.
    However the biggest issue in the States is the availability of guns and gun violence.
    Granted there was no direct involvement here but the undercurrent to everything law enforcement does is based on those variables.
    No point in speaking about it in fairness but it needs to be addressed in conjunction with any changes in how law is enforced and societal change in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

A “Justice System” ruled by the mob

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    A “Justice System” ruled by the mob

And the politicians!!

That congresswoman, Watters should be locked up for encouraging insurrection if the verdict wasn’t the one she wanted. Disgusting behaviour from an elected official in a democracy..

And people from all sides should unite to condemn this behaviour

Piers wrote on an article, absolutely agreeing with the verdict, but slating her and her attitude. He was spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭nolivesmatter

I just saw the clip now. I sort of get what she was trying to do there but my god it sounded so wrong. But tbh she came across very aloof about the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I see the posters who are still in denial about Chauvin's conviction and are trying to distract with all other irrelevant issues like race etc still haven't addressed any of the judge's guidance to the jury around the 3 counts, and how the jury didn't fulfil their sworn duty.

It's pointless engaging with these posters until they do that.

It's moved on from him being guilty to him doing this because he's a racist which some people take issue with.

There's plenty of evidence that he killed Floyd but there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that he did it because he was racist. Absolutely none.

I'll happily retract the above statement if someone can show me one piece of verifiable evidence that the Chauvin/Floyd interaction happened because Floyd was a different colour to Chauvin.

I just saw the clip now. I sort of get what she was trying to do there but my god it sounded so wrong. But tbh she came across very aloof about the whole thing.

I saw what she was trying to do as well.

Tar a whole place force with one brush, and insinuate systemic racism. And label his killing as racially motivated..

A truly awful tweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Overheal wrote: »
    You aren’t making sense: first of all the defense did advance the superhuman strength argument so I don’t know how one would claim otherwise. Second that you’re not happy with an opinion piece where the author lays down facts that underly the observation yet demand that I lay down the facts that underly the observation. It’s not an efficient use of my time or yours. I took your “genuine” curiosity to mean you would be accommodating, rather than belligerent to furthering the meat of the discussing along rather than demanding the ritual of my rehashing the history of the superhuman strength defense in the court room when others have already done that for the both of us.

It’s you who is converting the ‘superhuman’ issue into a race argument; the defence not prosecution did that, not did either object on that basis. That being the case, you need to provide facts to support that position. Posting a link to someone else’s opinion doesn’t offer anything. And I didn’t see any facts supporting the argument in there either; just more opinion

walshb wrote: »
    I saw what she was trying to do as well.

Tar a whole place force with one brush, and insinuate systemic racism. And label his killing as racially motivated..

A truly awful tweet!
    There is systemic racism, it's a known issue.... God, you're very annoyed by systemic racism being highlighted.
    It’s you who is converting the ‘superhuman’ issue into a race argument; the defence not prosecution did that, not did either object on that basis. That being the case, you need to provide facts to support that position. Posting a link to someone else’s opinion doesn’t offer anything. And I didn’t see any facts supporting the argument in there either; just more opinion

But the superhuman nonsense goes back to racial stereotypes so yep, it's fair to say it's a race argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

There is systemic racism, it's a known issue.... God, you're very annoyed by systemic racism being highlighted..

There is no systemic racism.
    it's just a false narrative that helps keeping people divided

There is systemic racism, it's a known issue.... God, you're very annoyed by systemic racism being highlighted.

But the superhuman nonsense goes back to racial stereotypes so yep, it's fair to say it's a race argument.

Not in the slightest annoyed..

Just calling out disingenuous politicians bull****..

You seem to be desperately trying to inject racism here...which is far more divisive and dangerous than actual racism!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Hedgehod55

The odds are intentionally stacked against minorities in the US, historically African-Americans, via voter suppression, police tactics, and a whole host of other politically installed barriers. Systemic racism doesn't have to be open and in-your-face in order to exist.

People forget just how recent Jim Crow laws and slavery actually is. Are we in a much better place than we were? Absolutely. Still a long way to go, as we can see by the delusional defense of Chauvin plenty of people here and in the US partake in. I'm not saying that Chauvin was racist or that what he did was racially motivated, by the way. I'm saying that his defenders couldn't give a toss whether his intentional and illegal act killed a person, because that person is a certain colour and because they dislike the BLM movement.

They're not related, but his defenders have made this about the "lefty media". Another way to make themselves the victims, not exactly a surprise. Chauvin is guilty as sin, just as much as he would be if he had done it to a white, Mexican, or Asian person.

It hasn't been highlighted, merely alluded to.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

When would you say that systemic racism ended?

When would you say that systemic racism ended?

Well.. probably some time before the first black president, no?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

The racism angle is a non-runner as far as Chauvin goes because we have no way of looking inside his head and seeing if he was thinking, "Hurr, hurr, hurr, I'm gonna choke this n____r the fk out!". The case was about an abuse of power as a cop and showing callous disregard of a restrained suspect, and the prosecution was smart not to bring race into it because it would have gotten the case nowhere.

Well.. probably some time before the first black president, no?..

"I can't be racist, I have a black friend..."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Hedgehod55 wrote: »
    I'm saying that his defenders couldn't give a toss whether his intentional and illegal act killed a person, because that person is a certain colour and because they dislike the BLM movement.

They're not related, but his defenders have made this about the "lefty media". Another way to make themselves the victims, not exactly a surprise. Chauvin is guilty as sin, just as much as he would be if he had done it to a white, Mexican, or Asian person.

Really?

"I can't be racist, I have a black friend..."

What?.. listen to yourself..

People forget just how recent Jim Crow laws and slavery actually is. Are we in a much better place than we were? Absolutely. Still a long way to go, as we can see by the delusional defense of Chauvin plenty of people here and in the US partake in. I'm not saying that Chauvin was racist or that what he did was racially motivated, by the way. I'm saying that his defenders couldn't give a toss whether his intentional and illegal act killed a person, because that person is a certain colour and because they dislike the BLM movement.

You're saying the defense were apathetic towards George Floyd because he was black?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No, it goes back to lads high on PCP, having no fear and feeling no pain

wrote:
    I'm not saying that Chauvin was racist or that what he did was racially motivated, by the way. I'm saying that his defenders couldn't give a toss whether his intentional and illegal act killed a person, because that person is a certain colour

I am sure he has plenty defenders for the reason you mention, such is life!!

But there are also those debating and discussing this and not seeing color whatsoever..

Did you ever consider this? I am one.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

BattleCorp wrote: »
    It's moved on from him being guilty to him doing this because he's a racist which some people take issue with.

There's plenty of evidence that he killed Floyd but there's absolutely no evidence whatsoever that he did it because he was racist. Absolutely none.

I'll happily retract the above statement if someone can show me one piece of verifiable evidence that the Chauvin/Floyd interaction happened because Floyd was a different colour to Chauvin.

With due respect that's to my reckoning just yet another very narrow, gilded goalpost. Or at the very least you seem to be arguing against something nobody is saying here: George Floyd had the police called to the scene by the store owner. The interaction happened, quite literally because of a 911 call, not because a cop looked at a brown person and pulled them over or whatever. This isn't in dispute. Yet you seem to be framing it as a way to exclude the evidence that the defense cited things like "superhuman strength" and "excited delirium" which have racial context to them, and therefore bring the element of race to this case - which has been denied through soap box vociferously here today yet which is demonstrably true.

Really?

Certain posters here, absolutely. More-so that they associate Floyd with a certain movement and political ideology so they defend Chauvin regardless of what he did. Seems pretty steeped in prejudice if you ask me.
    What?.. listen to yourself..

"There can't be systemic racism because there has been a black president." Exact same thing.

You're saying the defense were apathetic towards George Floyd because he was black?

No, never even suggested as much about the defense. They have a legal and moral duty to defend their client. I am talking specifically about people who do all types of mental gymnastics to defend Chauvin simply because they hate "da libs" and BLM. Neither of which have anything to do with the events that took place that day.

• Advertisement

No, it goes back to lads high on PCP, having no fear and feeling no pain

Yes. But some people constantly want to find the racist angle in everything!!

Advertisement