Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

It looks to me like it got considerably worse under him..

Thing is, that's not true. It's gotten noticed more, more than anything. A cop oversteps now and it's caught on video which is a substantial aspect to it. Journalists have been highlighting it for decades.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Well..west Indian immigrants don't have a problem with it.. Asian Americans don't..

The black community's problems are cultural..

The fact you just said all of this shows you are making it all up as it goes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You need to understand, the sort of people defending Floyd are actual racists.

They will tell you they 100% support Affirmative Action.

What is Affirmative Action? Every black person, regardless of family wealth, doesn't need the same exam scores as whites and Asians as they're not smart enough to compete on a level playing field.

It's literally woke people admitting they think blacks are less intelligent than everyone else.

What's amazing is these people are so dumb they think this makes them anti-racist.

You can acknowledge the existence of racism without believing any of the above $hite. Denying racism or systemic racism would be like denying all other types of prejudices, like saying fat kids or short kids dont get picked on in school.

It exists of course it exists. Americas racism is systemic due to their very recent history of slavery and oppression of black people. You don't need to be a woke hippie to acknowledge that you simp.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭CalisGirl

Overheal wrote: »
    Thank you. I can't.

That's a much more sensible argument to make and stand on than 'no evidence of race anywhere to do with anything in this' etc.

That said, I don't accept the defense explanations for why he did any of that. The best I can argue is that by using the superhuman strength defense either he, his lawyers or the police union etc. is using a defense rooted in implicit bias. If the defense is arguing fear of Floyd's superhuman strength then I argue it is admission to a racial bias, even if we accept the argument that he held the racial bias without any sort of racist malice. My argument cannot be made beyond your reasonable doubts, so there we are at the discussion juncture I think.

To be fair, I don't think the "superhuman strength" argument was in any way related to his being Black. The superhuman strength seems connected to him having drugs in his system. Drugs can impair a persons perception of the damage they are doing to themselves and others, so they can appear to have super human strength while high. Simply because they care less about the physical consequence of their actions and so won't hold back due to increased pain resistance, adrenaline, etc.

Faugheen wrote: »
    The fact you just said all of this shows you are making it all up as it goes along.

Can you name a country that's less racist than the states like?..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Well..west Indian immigrants don't have a problem with it.. Asian Americans don't..

You asked them?

Yes, our Police State culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

You can acknowledge the existence of racism without believing any of the above $hite. Denying racism or systemic racism would be like denying all other types of prejudices, like saying fat kids or short kids dont get picked on in school.

It exists of course it exists. Americas racism is systemic due to their very recent history of slavery and oppression of black people. You don't need to be a woke hippie to acknowledge that you simp.

There is no systemic racism. We know this because Obama (black) was president, Harris (black) is vice-president, Oprah (black) is the highest rated show on TV, Johnson (black) is the highest paid actor, James (black) is the highest paid athlete, and so on.

Blacks do just fine if they avoid crime.

You asked them?

There have been studies done..

Asian Americans have actually recently been on the recieving end of actual systemic racism because they were doing too well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Thank you. I can't.

That's a much more sensible argument to make and stand on than 'no evidence of race anywhere to do with anything in this' etc.

That said, I don't accept the defense explanations for why he did any of that. The best I can argue is that by using the superhuman strength defense either he, his lawyers or the police union etc. is using a defense rooted in implicit bias. If the defense is arguing fear of Floyd's superhuman strength then I argue it is admission to a racial bias, even if we accept the argument that he held the racial bias without any sort of racist malice. My argument cannot be made beyond your reasonable doubts, so there we are at the discussion juncture I think.

This rhetoric is classic wokist extremism. Step 1 identify something extremely obvious/ commonplace in society like saying a 110kg well built man has has superhuman strength, step 2 find examples from generations of ago of racists using the term, and step 3 label anyone using the term today as somehow ideological related to obscure racists from generations ago who once used it. Other famous examples of wokists doing this include the claim that policing originated from slave catchers and the claim that accounting, Excel and even capitalism emerged from slavery book keeping

Might go a bit over yer head though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,136 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I know 'look at Asian Americans' is a go to deflection talking point but it completely ignores the high levels of poverty amongst that group.

https://twitter.com/ZachandMattShow/status/1351081231002333184?s=20

There have been studies done..

Asian Americans have actually recently been on the recieving end of actual systemic racism because they were doing too well..

Ok. I see.

I don't think you are familiar with Black American History insomuch as you've missed a glaring historical atrocity without so much as a blink when saying the above...

So, I'm going to leave this here, because knowledge of the incident is extremely contextual to what you just said and I hope you take a second.

This rhetoric is classic wokist extremism. Step 1 identify something extremely obvious/ commonplace in society like saying a 110kg well built man has has superhuman strength, step 2 find examples from generations of ago of racists using the term, and step 3 label anyone using the term today as somehow ideological related to obscure racists from generations ago who once used it. Other famous examples of wokists doing this include the claim that policing originated from slave catchers and the claim that accounting, Excel and even capitalism emerged from slavery book keeping

The man was on trial for murder. And his attorneys were not invoking "superhuman" as a colorful euphemism. They were defending their client for murder charges.

walshb wrote: »
    Can you show me any rule/law in place now in America that legally discriminates against black people?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/25/us/politics/georgia-voting-law-republicans.html

Do you think black people are too stupid to get an ID?

Can you show me any rule/law in place now in America that legally discriminates against black people?

Cash bail laws

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Can’t open that

Does this target black people, or people?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Cash bail laws

What about them?

Do they target certain colors?

Or do they apply to humans? People?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Faugheen wrote: »
    Which would completely debunk what you said just a few minutes ago that systemic racism stopped when the US got a black president.

Well done. You just proved you're a bad faith sh*tposter with minimal effort.

Do you think black people are too stupid to get an ID?

Mod

Both of you can stop posting in this thread. Thanks

What about them?

Do they target certain colors?

Or do they apply to humans? People?

They legally discriminates against the black community - much higher levels of poverty due to historic racism which means a higher % cannot afford bail when they are arrested and for many the choice between admitting to a crime they didn't commit or spending months in jail until their case is heard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Dont post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Can’t open that

It targets people of all races who happen to do the things that black people do. Banning blacks is illegal and this is a workaround.

Can’t open that

SB 202. Is law as of the other week.

Yes.

SB 202. Is law as of the other week.

Yes.

Does this law specifically target non whites?

Yes or no, and if so, can you point out where..

Where it defines color...is there any text in the law that discriminates based on color?

It targets people of all races who happen to do the things that black people do. Banning blacks is illegal and this is a workaround.

I see. So it targets people. Not colors.

That’s all I need to know..

I see. So it targets people. Not colors.

That’s all I need to know..

You seem to be unable to comprehend the difference between overtly racist and systematically racist

You seem to be unable to comprehend the difference between overtly racist and systematically racist

No idea what you are on about as regards my specific point..

Simple: anyone, please show me a single law in the U.S. today that is racist? That targets colors.

Just one..

If you can’t, fine. But quit the nonsense trying to find racism/color in these laws when it is not there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Look at the killing of Daniel Shaver, killed on his knees in his hotel room, begging not to be shot. The police were there as he was seen walking by his hotel room with a pellet gun. He was shot five times as he was seen to lowing one hand towards his waist, which it is believed he did as his briefs were falling off. He was drunk so struggled to comply with police instructions. But he was white so the media buried the case. Vastly worse case than the killing of George Floyd and he wasn't convicted a criminal like GF. But no protests. No outrage. No one cares.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42277309

Tony Timpa was a lot more like GF’s death. Although he’d called the police himself because he was having panic attacks.

No idea what you are on about as regards my specific point..

Simple: anyone, please show me a single law in the U.S. today that is racist? That targets colors.

Just one..

If you can’t, fine. But quit the nonsense trying to find racism/color in these laws when it is not there.

You just again proved my point.

You're asking again and again for overtly race based laws when no one is claiming this.

What posters have been talking about are systematically racist laws and you've been given at least two examples - voter id and cash bail.

I'm not sure if you're purposefully being ignorant of the difference but google is your friend to explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Why are so many black people shot unarmed by police then in comparison to white people??

In the USA, Black people are more likely to be involved in violent crimes in comparison to white people. These stats have been posted multiple times on multiple threads on Boards.

Advertisement