Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Derek Chauvin murder trial (George Floyd)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭patnor1011

He killed him that is without a question. There was plenty of time to cuff him or perhaps soften him up with taser or batons. Kneeling on someone's neck for 9 minutes is brutal.
    He got what he deserved for that but Maxine being who she is and trying to score some political points just handed him get out of jail card when he appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Fandymo wrote: »
    In the USA, Black people are more likely to be involved in violent crimes in comparison to white people. These stats have been posted multiple times on multiple threads on Boards.

And that's enough justification for killing unarmed black people, cos you know, just in case.

And people have the cheek to call it racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

walshb wrote: »
    I see. So it targets people. Not colors.

That’s all I need to know..

That's very simple minded though. You can't discriminate on colour in the United States. They had to stop doing it but the racism didn't just go away. It doesn't work like that.

While you can't discriminate against colour, you can discriminate against things that are done mostly by black people. It allows you to pretend that it's not racist and will be convincing enough for the lower percentiles. A good example is weed. Before it became popular with white people, the US criminalised the crap out of it. Sentencing guidelines for crack cocaine versus regular rich-person cocaine is another.

These examples are obvious to anyone with something between the ears but at the same time, there are enough people who will be convinced that those laws just target people and not black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

walshb wrote: »
    No idea what you are on about as regards my specific point..

Simple: anyone, please show me a single law in the U.S. today that is racist? That targets colors.

Just one..

If you can’t, fine. But quit the nonsense trying to find racism/color in these laws when it is not there.

So unless the law in plain text says it is discriminating toward blacks, you see no means by which racists have been able to write laws that are inherently racist?

Police still to this day fight Richard Nixon's war on drugs, and yes, he is a notable racist.

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying. We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

- John Ehrlichman, Nixon's chief of domestic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,728 ✭✭✭✭briany

patnor1011 wrote: »
    He killed him that is without a question. There was plenty of time to cuff him or perhaps soften him up with taser or batons. Kneeling on someone's neck for 9 minutes is brutal.
    He got what he deserved for that but Maxine being who she is and trying to score some political points just handed him get out of jail card when he appeals.

Judge Cahill certainly didn't have a high opinion of Waters' words, but he also said that he didn't think it prejudiced the jury.

The people talking about juror bias and outside pressure don't seem to want to contemplate the idea that maybe the jurors simply found the evidence presented against Chauvin to be enough to find him guilty on all three charges. We must assume that jurors act in good faith, otherwise the whole justice system is open for question. The burden of proof is on those who say the jurors did not simply act on the evidence presented in court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

OMM 0000 wrote: »

Are you even willing to accept the fact 12 unarmed blacks were shot, or are you going to pretend it's 1000s?

Alot of people have been brainwashed on this topic by the media and politicians.
    A recent survey revealed the extent to which the public is misinformed on the issue of police violence.

Participants across the political spectrum in the nationally representative survey were asked how many unarmed black men were killed by police in 2019.
    The results were revealing.
    Overall, nearly half of surveyed liberals (44 percent) estimated roughly between 1,000 and 10,000 unarmed black men were killed whereas 20 percent of conservatives estimated the same.
    The actual number of unarmed black men killed by the police in 2019 is 14.

The second question the survey asked was: “In 2019, what percentage of people killed by police were Black?” While the survey states that the actual percentage is around 25 percent, the average survey respondent guessed 50 percent (58 percent for liberals and 41 percent for conservatives).

The disconnect between perception and reality couldn’t be starker.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/27/cases-...estimated/amp/

The average liberal was out by a factor of over 70.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭Morgans

Overheal wrote: »
    So unless the law in plain text says it is discriminating toward blacks, you see no means by which racists have been able to write laws that are inherently racist?

Police still to this day fight Richard Nixon's war on drugs, and yes, he is a notable racist.

“The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying. We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

- John Ehrlichman, Nixon's chief of domestic policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Do you have anything better to do than give out about Trump all the time?

He's been gone for months, yet you can't stop moaning about him 24/7. True, Trump derangement syndrome in play, folks

The lashings of salt dripping off this are delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You need to understand, the sort of people defending Floyd are actual racists.

They will tell you they 100% support Affirmative Action.

What is Affirmative Action? Every black person, regardless of family wealth, doesn't need the same exam scores as whites and Asians as they're not smart enough to compete on a level playing field.

It's literally woke people admitting they think blacks are less intelligent than everyone else.

What's amazing is these people are so dumb they think this makes them anti-racist.
    You need to realise that none of this is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,369 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Absolute showtrial to stop the city burning

Unlucky Eric. He was rightfully convicted and will rot in jail like the scum he is.

Scarlet for a few of the lads jumping through hoops to try to defend this murderer, some very loose fitting masks. bUt bIdEn cOMmEnTEd on the case :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-56833484
    Sgt Geraint Jones of Devon and Cornwall Police was off duty when he forwarded an altered image of Mr Floyd's fatal arrest in May 2020.

It went to a private WhatsApp group that included other officers.

The judge at Plymouth Magistrates' Court cleared him on the grounds the prosecution failed to prove the image was not "intended as a joke".

Sgt Jones was charged with sending an offensive, indecent, obscene or menacing image via a public electronic communications network, contrary to the Communications Act 2003.

Obviously, Sgt Jones remains suspended pending a disciplinary hearing.

I haven't come across an update on the Gateshead case in which 3 young men were arrested last June for that Snapchat video in which they mocked the murder.

Absolute showtrial to stop the city burning

Even all his colleagues who appeared on the stand during the trial said that Chauvins actions were unnecessary and contrary to how he had been trained.

Judge Jeanine Pirro of Fox News even said it was a just result.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

Faugheen wrote: »
    The black president who faced allegations that he was born in Africa?

Talk to Candidate Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton, she and her gang started the " Born in Africa " rumor.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Talk to Candidate Hillary Diane Rodham Clinton, she and her gang started the " Born in Africa " rumor.

True or not does that change that Obama received that reception?

Faugheen wrote: »
    And if there wasn't systemic, deep-rooted racism in the US then the black man isn't going to be accused of being born in Kenya, is he?

Just because the black man got to the top job doesn't mean the racism stopped. Anyone who even tries to suggest otherwise is either deluded or stupid.
    Barack Hussein Obama II has only himself to blame for the whole "born in Africa" problem.
    He shouldn't haven't lied in the Bio in one of his books, saying on the back cover that he was born in Africa.

Barack Hussein Obama II has only himself to blame for the whole "born in Africa" problem.
    He shouldn't haven't lied in the Bio in one of his books, saying on the back cover that he was born in Africa.

Wrong.
    In May 2012 the web site Breitbart published a copy of a promotional booklet produced in 1991 by the literary agency Acton & Dystel showcasing their roster of writers, among whom was a young man named Barack Obama. This booklet was of particular interest because it included a brief biographical sketch which described the future President as having been born in Kenya:

The editor of the biographical text about Barack Obama which was included in the booklet maintained that the mention of Kenya was an error on her part and was not based on any information provided to her by Obama himself:

Alot of people have been brainwashed on this topic by the media and politicians.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/27/cases-...estimated/amp/

The average liberal was out by a factor of over 70.

These guys?

https://twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1384564370307420169

How does one become as misinformed about life as you've managed it?

Seriously, that takes some amount of effort. Do you dismiss everything from places with a good track record as fake news in favour of alternate reality media? I wouldn't mind so much but people like yourself, the chronically misinformed, are multiplying. I know we're not supposed to attack the poster here but there has to be some limit on the level of stupidity that we should be expected to tolerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It's possible that the correct verdict was reached AND that it was impossible for him to receive a fair trial.

If i was in that jury in the knowledge that i would be doxed if i came forth with the wrong verdict...

Once the police chief witness said that the neck kneeling was outside of policy he was done to be fair.

[The editor of the biographical text about Barack Obama which was included in the booklet maintained that the mention of Kenya was an error on her part and was not based on any information provided to her by Obama himself:QUOTE=Tell me how;116965556]Wrong.[/QUOTE]

Well someone came up with the idea to mention born in Africa.
    Obama wrote the book and would have supplied information for the Bio.
    He is the only person who could have given her any notion of were he was born.
    See the problem.
    By the way, I personal think, he was born in the US, and just gave some Bullsh!t to the editor about were he was born.

• Advertisement

Well someone came up with the idea to mention born in Africa.
    Obama wrote the book and would have supplied information for the Bio.
    He is the only person who could have given her any notion of were he was born.
    See the problem.
    By the way, I personal think, he was born in the US, and just gave some Bullsh!t to the editor about were he was born.

She literally said he had nothing to do with the error.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What point is this account on Twitter trying to make? I’m not following.
    Did the NYPost make the entire thing up, or are they criticising the picture. Possibly both.

CalisGirl wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think the "superhuman strength" argument was in any way related to his being Black. The superhuman strength seems connected to him having drugs in his system. Drugs can impair a persons perception of the damage they are doing to themselves and others, so they can appear to have super human strength while high. Simply because they care less about the physical consequence of their actions and so won't hold back due to increased pain resistance, adrenaline, etc.
    Drugs can numb pain. This means somebody can disregard consequences. An example would be punching a wall full force disregarding the damage it causes to their hands. It doesn't however mean the punch harder or that their strength increases.

Floyd was not stronger because he was high. The same people arguing that also argued that he was he the verged of an opiate overdose. If the latter where true he's be a limp kitten, it's an anaesthetic.

The excuses and justification rolled out by the defence where complete detatched from biology. They couldn't even get the mechanics of the car excuse right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No, these guys...
    https://www.skeptic.com/research-center/civil-unrest-presidential-election-study/

black-men-killed-by-police.jpg
    CUPES 007 wrote:
    Summary of Findings
    1. The available data on police shootings of unarmed Black men is
    incomplete; however, existing data indicate that somewhere
    between 13-27 unarmed black men were killed by police in
    2019. Adjusted for the number of law enforcement agencies that
    have yet to provide data, this number may be higher, perhaps
    between 60-100.
    • Yet, over half (53.5%) of those reporting “very liberal”
    political views estimated that 1,000 or more unarmed Black
    men were killed, a likely error of at least an order of
    magnitude (see Figure 1).
    2. The available data suggest that 24.9% of people killed by police
    in 2019 were Black. However, across the political spectrum,
    survey participants overestimated this number.
    • Those who reported being “liberal” or “very liberal” were
    particularly inaccurate, estimating the proportion to be 56%
    and 60%, respectively (see Figure 2).

Why would you try to discredit the study before even looking at the source?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Oh, and also

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/herpes-covid-vaccine
    We asked experts to break down the results of a small new study, which found that herpes zoster might be a side effect of getting vaccinated.

https://www.healthline.com/health/shingles-pictures
    Shingles, or herpes zoster, is a common viral infection

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Also, most "unarmed" black men are still attacking police. For example, driving over police with your car is "unarmed".

It is beyond amazing that so many people here don't want to believe the data but instead want to pretend there are hundreds or thousands of unarmed blacks being murdered by police each year. It's literally inventing a fantasy and living in it. Why

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Also, most "unarmed" black men are still attacking police. For example, driving over police with your car is "unarmed".

It is beyond amazing that so many people here don't want to believe the data but instead want to pretend there are hundreds or thousands of unarmed blacks being murdered by police each year. It's literally inventing a fantasy and living in it. Why

Keyboard warrior comes to mind....

Look at the crime rates and how different it is too.

I don't get the big fascination of America here in Ireland, we aren't anything like it and yesterday I hear a guy in Ireland who set up some black Irish group and how this verdict will change how they are treated here in Ireland and how the black people never get justice......

I'm completely gob smacked to be fair as I see no reason for this sh1te in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Keyboard warrior comes to mind....

Look at the crime rates and how different it is too.

I don't get the big fascination of America here in Ireland, we aren't anything like it and yesterday I hear a guy in Ireland who set up some black Irish group and how this verdict will change how they are treated here in Ireland and how the black people never get justice......

I'm completely gob smacked to be fair as I see no reason for this sh1te in Ireland.

It’s nothing but trouble making attention seeking...

No, these guys...
    https://www.skeptic.com/research-center/civil-unrest-presidential-election-study/

black-men-killed-by-police.jpg

A self published study that faces no review of any kind... Ya it's pretty clear why it didn't go beyond the NY post.

• Advertisement

Obviously peoples estimates are off. But the data doesn't back up the claim.
    Overall, nearly half of surveyed liberals (44 percent) estimated roughly between 1,000 and 10,000 unarmed black men were killed whereas 20 percent of conservatives estimated the same.

30% of Very liberals guess 1000. They are wrong. But it's ridiculous and dishonest to re-categorise their answer as "between 1,000 and 10,000". That wasn't their answer.
    You can't merge options and rename them to suit an agenda.

Also, using presenting "very liberal" answers as "liberals". Undermines the point they were making.

As des the footnote that acknowledges that 14 is possible not the actual total.

Advertisement