Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smallest amount I can bid?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So your 76% was wrong so1

No, it was used as an example based on price of 100k someone else mentioned.
    However your figure based on a house value of 246k was indeed wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

ted1 wrote: »
    No, it was used as an example based on price of 100k someone else mentioned.
    However your figure based on a house value of 246k was indeed wrong.

You were replying to me . You took an 80% LTV and then produced another figure which you claim is a lower LTV. makes no sense.

You were replying to me . You took an 80% LTV and then produced another figure which you claim is a lower LTV. makes no sense.

If you pay less and use the same deposit, your LTV will reduce. Makes perfect sense.

If you pay less and use the same deposit, your LTV will reduce. Makes perfect sense.

Where did you get the 192.8 from?

Where did you get the 192.8 from?

246k * .2= 49.2 deposit
    Mortgage = 196.8

Take away the 4K you saved by not increasing your bid. Your mortgage =192.8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

246k * .2= 49.2 deposit
    Mortgage = 196.8

You've deducted the 4K twice there, off the purchase price and again off the mortgage.

wench wrote: »
    You've deducted the 4K twice there, off the purchase price and again off the mortgage.
    It’s a fictional purchase price.

If you pay less , you take a smaller mortgage.

It’s a functional purchase price.

If you pay less , you take a smaller mortgage.
    Yes, the mortgage went from 200 to 196.8
    You can't deduct the 4k again

Your suggested deposit of 49.2 + 192.8 only gets us to a purchase price of 242

wench wrote: »
    Yes, the mortgage went from 200 to 196.8
    You can't deduct the 4k again

Your suggested deposit of 49.2 + 192.8 only gets us to a purchase price of 242

Yes, as opposed to the fictional price 246

Yes, as opposed to the fictional price 246
    You started with a price of 250 though, so 246 was the discounted amount.

Say they have mortgage approval of 200k and a 50k deposit. Instead of paying 250k, they could pay 246k. Thus keeping 4K cash.

• Advertisement

246k * .2= 49.2 deposit
    Mortgage = 196.8

You are paying 246k. You have 50k. The least you can borrow is 196k. 192.8 doesn't come into it. You have deducted the 4k once and then 80% of it subsequently. You can't spend the same money twice!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

ted1 / wench / claw hammer, take it to PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,144 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I'm not sure how much other peoples bidding tactics would have impacted us when we were buying. We decided a max figure before we started bidding on the house (it probably helped the max was limited by our finances more than how much we liked the house) and we wouldn't have been put off if someone made a "strong bid" of an extra 20k, if it was below our max, we would have put a new bid in.

As for minimum bids, I'm not sure about that. I would have thought 1k is the minimum, but im not basing that on anything.
    I bought mine for xxx,500
    I let on thats alm I could afford and had to borrow and scrounge to come up with that amount.

I tried this tactic too, they called my bluff though! It was E2500 less than we ended up paying, my thoughts were E2500 on the top of mortgage, while not a lot extra per month, it was close to E5k over the lifetime of the mortgage. We were the only bidders at the time so we rolled the dice a little. We folded like a bad hand pretty sharpish though!

Advertisement