Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will move to Dublin from overseas - Work location D1

Options
  • 30-03-2021 5:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I’ll be moving with my wife to Dublin in 1-2 months for work. I’ve never been in Dublin and would like to get some nice Area recommendations to live:

- Work location: Dublin 1
    - Family situation: married and will try to start a family within a year
    - Extra requirements:
    - Ideally within 30-40min
    - Not too crowded; we don’t mind living in suburbs (but I’m a bit scared concerning the transportation to D1)

Which area would you recommend for a family?

Thank you very much,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

What's your budget?
    House or apartment?
    Car or public transport?
    35 minutes commute now or when everyone is back?
    Rent or buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MatoJP

vandriver wrote: »
    What's your budget?
    House or apartment?
    Car or public transport?
    35 minutes commute now or when everyone is back?
    Rent or buy?
    Budget is to decide but I would think around 2000 EUR / month
    Apartment / house, both are ok
    Public transport
    When everyone is back
    Renting

Thank you!

Check out this property I found using Daft

https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-donnybrook-manor-donnybrook-dublin-4/2945069

Nice area,loads of busses,walkable to D2.Room for future family expansion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Dublin 2 is not exactly massive but at the same time I wouldn't make the same recommendation for someone working in St James's hospital as I would for someone working in an office on Merrion Square.

Make sure to check any recommendations.

The exact location is on 1 dockland central.
    Therefore, which area would be ideal? So I can look for several apartments.

Thank you all!

• Advertisement

Dublin 2 is not exactly massive but at the same time I wouldn't make the same recommendation for someone working in St James's hospital as I would for someone working in an office on Merrion Square.

Make sure to check any recommendations.

James's is D8

Check out this property I found using Daft

Nice area,loads of busses,walkable to D2.Room for future family expansion.

Thank you!! I’ll keep that location in mind to compare some places :-)

MatoJP wrote: »

Thank you all!

That's Dublin 1,Guild St,which changes a lot from a commuting perspective.It isn't walkable from Donnybrook in 35-40 minutes.(Most days in full traffic,it probably isn't even driveable)

That's Dublin 1,Guild St,which changes a lot from a commuting perspective.It isn't walkable from Donnybrook in 35-40 minutes.(Most days in full traffic,it probably isn't even driveable)
    Sorry for the confusion!! Let me edit the post!
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Guild St is about 10 minutes walk from Connolly Station, so from a commuting-by-public-transport point of view somewhere along the DART line looks optimal. Commuting times will generally be short from the Northside suburbs, because they're closer, and because you don't have to go through the City Centre stations on the southside.

If you're looking for a max 40 min commute, allowing 10 mins to walk from Connolly to Guild St, and allowing 5 mins wait at your local station for a train to Connolly, that leaves you 25 mins to cover your train journey, plus your time to walk from your house to a Dart station. Suttton Dart station is 20 mins from Connolly, so you're looking for a home within 5 mins walk of Sutton Dart station, or an increasingly larger circle for each station closer to Connolly.

• Advertisement

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Guild St is about 10 minutes walk from Connolly Station, so from a commuting-by-public-transport point of view somewhere along the DART line looks optimal. Commuting times will generally be short from the Northside suburbs, because they're closer, and because you don't have to go through the City Centre stations on the southside.

If you're looking for a max 40 min commute, allowing 10 mins to walk from Connolly to Guild St, and allowing 5 mins wait at your local station for a train to Connolly, that leaves you 25 mins to cover your train journey, plus your time to walk from your house to a Dart station. Suttton Dart station is 20 mins from Connolly, so you're looking for a home within 5 mins walk of Sutton Dart station, or an increasingly larger circle for each station closer to Connolly.

This is very useful, thank you for the information. I will do some more research around accommodation along the DART Line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 DTownD

Similar to the previous poster I was going to suggest looking North of the River Liffey somewhere on the Dart Line.

Look at this map, the GREEN Dart line, North of the River Liffey.

https://www.dublinpublictransport.ie/dublin-train-map

You'll have the added bonus of being near the sea and some of those villages are very nice.

You could even try Donabate, Rush & Lusk [pink line -Northern Commuter Train] a a longer commute but good places for a family.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

My first thought is Clontarf, depending on your definition of "not too crowded". Is almost city center, but I wouldn't say that is too crowded even for Dublin standards. I'd follow previous advices, going north in the DART line, around 75% of the stops are nice villages. Going south is the same, but you'll find that is a bit more expensive. If you don't mind to live in an area far from the center, not to crowded but with all the services, Malahide could be a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Either Northern Dart Line as mentioned above or Maynooth train line. Anywhere from Ashtown out to about Clonsilla.

You can get either the Maynooth line trains to Connolly or the Docklands trains to Docklands station (there are few of these but they're handy).

Suburban, gets gradually less built up as you move out. Plenty of big apartments in Ashtown/Royal Canal Park/Phoenix Park Racecourse with good green spaces nearby. More houses from Castleknock onwards. Lots of people with young kids everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭tscul32

Loads of nice apartments in Raheny which has a Dart station. Look on daft.ie.

Thank you all!

Anywhere along the dart and/or luas is fine. That’s fairly well serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Westmoreland Luas stop is about 20 mins from the work location you posted, its on the green luas line. (https://luas.ie/)

You could check out some of the places along the luas line going out of town
    (Ranelagh, Rathmines, Clonskeagh, Milltown would all be accessible and good for a family)
    Would take you maybe an hour to an hour to commute in in the mornings then depending how far out you go

You could ask your work about a discounted commuter ticket too to reduce transport costs if that applies.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Given that you will be working in the IFSC (International Financial Services Centre), I would strongly recommend you live in the IFSC itself!

While your budget would have been tight before the pandemic, rent has come down temporarily due to the pandemic, so you should be able to get a decent 1-bed for €1,500-€1,600 and a 2-bed for ~€2,000.

This way, you will be a short stroll to the office (depending on the apartment complex), anywhere from a 2-minute to a 10-minute walk. as a result, you don't have to worry at all about transport etc. You also have the city centre on your doorstep (10-20 minute walk depending on the apartment complex) and a tram running right through the city centre and the IFSC.

As you are probably not aware, the IFSC is the area along the northside of the river (about 2 blocks deep) from the Custom House to (officially) Guild Street, where your office is, or stretches on to the Point (unofficially) as Finance/Tech offices have continued on down the river over the last number of years. Together with it's equivalent on the southside of the (narrow) river, this makes up "the Docklands" which are an area that has been redeveloped over the past 20 years and with a focus on Finance/Tech offices.

The make-up of people living in the IFSC is mainly people from late twenties to early 40's with either no kids or infants (typically, people look to move out to the suburbs once the kids become toddlers as it is not an ideal location to raise older children. Pre-pandemic, it is the perfect location for work/play, especially for those working in tech/finance (I assume you are?). Basically, it is a quiet, peaceful place, away from traffic/crowds, but with everything on its doorstep. A lot of the main tech/finance companies are based within a short walk. Salesforce tower is being built just by your office, HubSpot were/are located in your office building (they have a new office just across the river, so not sure if expanding or moving), and everyone from Google, Facebook, AIG, KBC, Citibank to a lot of smaller operations are all in the vicinity. There are a few bars & restaurants in the IFSC itself, but you are only a short walk/tram ride from the hustle & bustle of the city centre for shopping/nightlife.

At the moment, with the pandemic, most offices are empty or with minimal staff (and the city centre is still quiet). Throughout the second half of this year, as the vaccination program is completed, that will all re-open, along with pubs/restaurants etc (anyone's guess as to which month - optimists are hoping for July, pessimists are predicting Oct/Nov).

Given you don't know Dublin, and work will likely be your main focus in the first few months/year, I would rent there for a year while you get your bearings. From there, you can explore the suburbs and talk to friends/colleagues and find an ideal location to settle down in, or stay in the IFSC for another while until you have that family truly started ;). Due to rent control, while some landlords have drastically reduced their rents in the IFSC because of the pandemic, they will not be able to put them up by much once everyone is back to the office later this year, so it gives you good chance to get a place in the IFSC for cheap.

Daft is the most popular website people use for looking for rentals/buying (it would be rare for a place to be advertised on another website and not be on Daft). As you browse each property, you can see where on the map it is located and how close it is to your office..

P.S. As with almost everywhere in Dublin, "nice/desirable" places are right next to undesirable places. While the IFSC itself would be one of the top locations in the city, it is right next to a rough part of the city. However, there is rarely any issues. When looking at properties, as a general rule, avoid anything on or north of Sheriff Street (upper and lower). You will see it on the map here (2 blocks norther of your office)

dotsman wrote: »
    Given that you will be working in the IFSC (International Financial Services Centre), I would strongly recommend you live in the IFSC itself!

While your budget would have been tight before the pandemic, rent has come down temporarily due to the pandemic, so you should be able to get a decent 1-bed for €1,500-€1,600 and a 2-bed for ~€2,000.

This way, you will be a short stroll to the office (depending on the apartment complex), anywhere from a 2-minute to a 10-minute walk. as a result, you don't have to worry at all about transport etc. You also have the city centre on your doorstep (10-20 minute walk depending on the apartment complex) and a tram running right through the city centre and the IFSC.

As you are probably not aware, the IFSC is the area along the northside of the river (about 2 blocks deep) from the Custom House to (officially) Guild Street, where your office is, or stretches on to the Point (unofficially) as Finance/Tech offices have continued on down the river over the last number of years. Together with it's equivalent on the southside of the (narrow) river, this makes up "the Docklands" which are an area that has been redeveloped over the past 20 years and with a focus on Finance/Tech offices.

The make-up of people living in the IFSC is mainly people from late twenties to early 40's with either no kids or infants (typically, people look to move out to the suburbs once the kids become toddlers as it is not an ideal location to raise older children. Pre-pandemic, it is the perfect location for work/play, especially for those working in tech/finance (I assume you are?). Basically, it is a quiet, peaceful place, away from traffic/crowds, but with everything on its doorstep. A lot of the main tech/finance companies are based within a short walk. Salesforce tower is being built just by your office, HubSpot were/are located in your office building (they have a new office just across the river, so not sure if expanding or moving), and everyone from Google, Facebook, AIG, KBC, Citibank to a lot of smaller operations are all in the vicinity. There are a few bars & restaurants in the IFSC itself, but you are only a short walk/tram ride from the hustle & bustle of the city centre for shopping/nightlife.

At the moment, with the pandemic, most offices are empty or with minimal staff (and the city centre is still quiet). Throughout the second half of this year, as the vaccination program is completed, that will all re-open, along with pubs/restaurants etc (anyone's guess as to which month - optimists are hoping for July, pessimists are predicting Oct/Nov).

Given you don't know Dublin, and work will likely be your main focus in the first few months/year, I would rent there for a year while you get your bearings. From there, you can explore the suburbs and talk to friends/colleagues and find an ideal location to settle down in, or stay in the IFSC for another while until you have that family truly started ;). Due to rent control, while some landlords have drastically reduced their rents in the IFSC because of the pandemic, they will not be able to put them up by much once everyone is back to the office later this year, so it gives you good chance to get a place in the IFSC for cheap.

Daft is the most popular website people use for looking for rentals/buying (it would be rare for a place to be advertised on another website and not be on Daft). As you browse each property, you can see where on the map it is located and how close it is to your office..

P.S. As with almost everywhere in Dublin, "nice/desirable" places are right next to undesirable places. While the IFSC itself would be one of the top locations in the city, it is right next to a rough part of the city. However, there is rarely any issues. When looking at properties, as a general rule, avoid anything on or north of Sheriff Street (upper and lower). You will see it on the map here (2 blocks norther of your office)

Thank you for the info, rent seems to be indeed more affordable.
    I'll discuss with my wife if the IFSC area would be an option as well.

THanks mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Thank you for the info, rent seems to be indeed more affordable.
    I'll discuss with my wife if the IFSC area would be an option as well.

THanks mate!

OP, where do you live at the moment? City, rural, small urban?

If you fancy poorly serviced, windswept, soulless places then an IFSC apartment would be ideal for you? What do you/your wife like to do outside of work? Will she work? Sports, library, etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Have a look at Marino?

If you can find something you like within your budget, I'd look for something next to the following DART stations: Howth, Sutton, Bayside, Malahide, Raheny, Killester, Clontarf. Most areas along this line have amenities and are near the sea, I'd also say good places to raise kids if you're looking for somewhere you can stay long-term. Most expensive would be Howth, Malahide and Clontarf, but they are lovely. The DARTs do get very full at rush hour, but if you're getting on at Malahide, Howth, Sutton, you'll get a seat. All of these areas also have good bus routes that will get you into the city just a little bit later, but can act as a good back-up if the trains are down or delayed. There's also a fantastic coastal bike track that goes from Sutton to East Wall, with is just near your workplace. From Sutton, google maps says this would take 35 mins (I've done it myself in 45 but I'm a very slow cyclist). In Ireland we have a 'Bike to work scheme' that a lot of employers are signed up to, which provides tax breaks on buying bikes.

I work in the IFSC area myself and while the luas is a great service outside of rush hour, it's absolutely jam-packed trying to get in to work in the mornings. Any time I've had to take it, I've found it very stressful. Obviously I'm talking before coronavirus, but I expect things will go back to similar volumes when restrictions are lifted.

The Maynooth train line is also good, and could facilitate you living near the Phoenix Park, but the areas along it are relatively built-up areas and inland. Depending on where you're coming from though, my idea of what 'built up' looks like might pale in comparison to yours. The Docklands train station is right by your workplace. It's very busy at rush hour, but I'd put it ahead of getting the luas.

I wouldn't recommend moving into the IFSC if you're planning on having a child within a year. Maybe a short term lease for convenience's sake while you scope out some suburban areas, but while I'm not a parent myself, I can't see it being the easiest place to raise a child.

We don't know a huge amount about what you want, but to compare, here's one in Howth, right on the seafront (although it's near a bar and right across from the train station so might be a bit noisy): https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-apartment-15-the-findlater-building-howth-dublin-13/2953639
    And here's one in Raheny: https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-apartment-42-block-a2-belgrove-park-clontarf-dublin-3/3153570
    And here's one in IFSC: https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/apartment-spencer-house-custom-house-quay-ifsc-dublin-1/2856815

If I was you, I'd pick out a couple like this and have a look on Google street view to get a feel for each place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I wouldn't recommend moving into the IFSC if you're planning on having a child within a year. Maybe a short term lease for convenience's sake while you scope out some suburban areas, but while I'm not a parent myself, I can't see it being the easiest place to raise a child.

To be fair, he is only going to "try to start a family within the year". Unless he is a fast worker ;), you're probably talking about a baby being born a year from when he starts at the earliest. Having a baby/infant in the IFSC is no problem (lots of people do). It's more when the child is 2-3 that the advantage of suburban living kicks in (and is when most couples move out to the 'burbs)

In my opinion, that means he doesn't need to rush in and get a "family place" in the first year; let him settle in Dublin and then choose from a position of knowledge and experience.

It's just that that's what I would do - concentrate on work (and figuring out what WFH/Flexi options there will be) and getting to know the city while enjoying a simple commute for the first year. A lot of the places being mentioned on this thread are pushing his commute time to the limit (i.e. the actual door-to-door time). It's difficult to say what commutes will look like next year (between many places talking about work from home 1-2 days per week and some companies like PWC pushing for staggered times etc). It may mean some commutes might become a lot easier (where it is mainly office workers), while others stay similar (where the traffic has a lot to do with schools/factories etc)*

*On the flip side, commutes may be worse than 2019 because Dublin City Council seem intent on making life miserable for commuters!

Marcusm wrote: »

If you fancy poorly serviced, windswept, soulless places then an IFSC apartment would be ideal for you? What do you/your wife like to do outside of work? Will she work? Sports, library, etc?

I live in Tokyo at the moment :D
    My wife will be waiting for her spouse visa and afterwards Work.
    - what we like, being close to park / nature
    - Hiking , surfing, running
    - i love cooking, so I’d check as well if there are grocery stores nearby

dotsman wrote: »
    To be fair, he is only going to "try to start a family within the year". Unless he is a fast worker ;), you're probably talking about a baby being born a year from when he starts at the earliest. Having a baby/infant in the IFSC is no problem (lots of people do). It's more when the child is 2-3 that the advantage of suburban living kicks in (and is when most couples move out to the 'burbs)

In my opinion, that means he doesn't need to rush in and get a "family place" in the first year; let him settle in Dublin and then choose from a position of knowledge and experience.

It's just that that's what I would do - concentrate on work (and figuring out what WFH/Flexi options there will be) and getting to know the city while enjoying a simple commute for the first year. A lot of the places being mentioned on this thread are pushing his commute time to the limit (i.e. the actual door-to-door time). It's difficult to say what commutes will look like next year (between many places talking about work from home 1-2 days per week and some companies like PWC pushing for staggered times etc). It may mean some commutes might become a lot easier (where it is mainly office workers), while others stay similar (where the traffic has a lot to do with schools/factories etc)*

*On the flip side, commutes may be worse than 2019 because Dublin City Council seem intent on making life miserable for commuters!

I do mean indeed, that we will start trying in the near future and we never know how long it takes.
    It might be an option to initially be close to work, however if we find a nice place a bit further that would be good for children, then that would be my preference.

I wouldn’t like to move again within a year.

Thank you everyone!!

Marcusm wrote: »

Don't forget the packs of feral teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I live in Tokyo at the moment :D
    My wife will be waiting for her spouse visa and afterwards Work.
    - what we like, being close to park / nature
    - Hiking , surfing, running
    - i love cooking, so I’d check as well if there are grocery stores nearby

With the exception of the many cherry blossoms in Dublin’s suburbs, you will find little in common between Dublin and Tokyo. To the most part, Dublin’s accommodation consists of houses rather than apartments and public transport is not so developed. However, it is much easier to get to the many urban beaches, parks and to the mountains for a hike. If your wife will not work initially, consider some research as to what daytime social activities she will like to engage in. An apartment in the IFSC would give you a short walk to work but it is an area of recent development (less than 30 years) with facilities designed for the daytime (office worker) population rather than residents. It is but a short walk to the city centre with shopping, cafe and similar facilities. You hve the advantage of the DART which runs north-south along the coast. I am more familiar with the southern ends and there are many coastal/urban villages/towns which are in effect suburbs of Dublin. Howth , for example, is a terminus at the north end meaning that it would always be easy to gain a seat in the mornings. It is a historic fishing village (which may be attractive to you as a source of protein) but is surrounded by a hilly park which can be good for walks/hikes. I know a number of expats who have successfully moved there from large metropolises.

Likewise, Dun Laoghaire, Monkstown and Glasthule on the south side could provide similar environments but as they are in the middle of the line, the trains can be crowded in the mornings.

Assuming you are a salaryman, you are likely used to longer hours than you would have to work in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Don't forget the packs of feral teenagers.

Dublin 1 is just a massive kip with some fancy looking apartments in it. A horrible place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I agree with many others that Dublin 1 is not the best, and given you're planning to start a family I would say avoid. On the plus side your work is very well serviced by public transport routes. I'd be looking at Chapelizod or Castleknock for proximity to the Phoenix Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

theres plenty of houses for rent near the phoenix park,
    houses tend to be more expensive to rent on the southside, eg dublin 8,6 etc
    eg there are more working class area,s on the northside.
    see daft.ie rentals.
    south side dublin is mostly more middle class area,s .
    there are parks all over dublin .
    theres a large park in stephens green .
    dublin 1 is basically the city centre area.
    so it tends to be very busy, from 8am-8pm.
    look for house,s near luas stops or bus stops,
    unless you intend to drive to work every day.
    clontarf is close to the city centre, traffic in dublin is very heavy from 7am til 10am.
    clontarf is a very quiet middle class area but the to rent a house there would be expensive.

even in a quiet area ,
    an identical house in dublin northside would be cheaper than the same size house in a southside area.
    look for a house with a small back garden or yard.

Advertisement