Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will move to Dublin from overseas - Work location D1

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

MatoJP wrote: »
    I live in Tokyo at the moment :D
    My wife will be waiting for her spouse visa and afterwards Work.
    - what we like, being close to park / nature
    - Hiking , surfing, running
    - i love cooking, so I’d check as well if there are grocery stores nearby

Was going to recommend renting a place like this for a few months. Location is great.

https://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/107-Cedar-House-Mespil-Estate-Donnybrook-Dublin-4/4273441/#img=2

However as you like surfing and running, the east coast is crap for surfing. I’d recommend trying kitesurfing , clontarf, Howth, Sutton would be best location

Look up www.puremagic.ie for lessons and details.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

ted1 wrote: »
    Was going to recommend renting a place like this for a few months. Location is great.
    https://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/107-Cedar-House-Mespil-Estate-Donnybrook-Dublin-4/4273441/#img=2

Location is great but accommodation is abysmal and not suited to two people. A "studio" with 10 photos, none of the kitchen/living area (with good reason judging by the photo on the myhome.ie ad) and 5 outdoor photos. Tiny, cramped and outdated. Oh and a BER rated F which is atrocious too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Caranica wrote: »
    Location is great but accommodation is abysmal and not suited to two people. A "studio" with 10 photos, none of the kitchen/living area (with good reason judging by the photo on the myhome.ie ad) and 5 outdoor photos. Tiny, cramped and outdated. Oh and a BER rated F which is atrocious too.

A apartment https://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/Maple-House-Mespil-Estate-Ballsbridge-Dublin-4/4269056/

BER is largely irrelevant in apartments with only 1 external wall.

It’s a good price and lace to stay for a short while till you get your bearings

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That one is a little better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would look at Shankill in that case. Right on the sea and lovely walks and hiking without having to get into the car first. Easy access to Wicklow and all it has to offer too.
    Also on the Dart line and the 145 is a great bus service.
    Slightly longer commute but worth it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

C3PO wrote:
    I would look at Shankill in that case. Right on the sea and lovely walks and hiking without having to get into the car first. Easy access to Wicklow and all it has to offer too. Also on the Dart line and the 145 is a great bus service. Slightly longer commute but worth it in my opinion.

Shankill would likely be an hour commute at least door to door.

Clontarf/Fairview/Marino/Drumcondra are all nice areas with good parks and jogging routes. Work and town would be both easily walkable and the dart/train would be accessible for weekend trips if you don't plan on getting a car

dubrov wrote: »
    Shankill would likely be an hour commute at least door to door.

Clontarf/Fairview/Marino/Drumcondra are all nice areas with good parks and jogging routes. Work and town would be both easily walkable and the dart/train would be accessible for weekend trips if you don't plan on getting a car

An hour maximum and worth every minute in my opinion if you’re interested in outdoor activities like the OP. I cycle into Ballsbridge every day from Shankill in 35 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭dubrov

C3PO wrote: »
    An hour maximum and worth every minute in my opinion if you’re interested in outdoor activities like the OP. I cycle into Ballsbridge every day from Shankill in 35 minutes!

But you can get all similar in Clontarf and not have to waste half your day commuting.
    Your commute times from Shankill are also very optimistic.

Shankill is a nice place but there are tons of other places that would be far more suitable for someone with no ties to any area and working in the IFSC

dubrov wrote: »
    But you can get all similar in Clontarf and not have to waste half your day commuting.
    Your commute times from Shankill are also very optimistic.

Shankill is a nice place but there are tons of other places that would be far more suitable for someone with no ties to any area and working in the IFSC

Have to agree to disagree - Clontarf is hardly ideal for “hiking”! The great thing about SHankill is it’s proximity to outdoor activities and yet good transport links.
    And as for my “optimistic” commute times ... I apologise, I actually overstated them ... the Dart takes 33 minutes from Shankill to Pearse Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The exact location is on 1 dockland central.
    Therefore, which area would be ideal? So I can look for several apartments.
    Be aware that apartments in Dublin are not like apartments elsewhere. They tend to be very small compared to other cities.

The location allows to live on the dart/train lines going north & South and the Dublin to Maynooth train line. Also, the LUAS may suit.
    In that case, don't live in the IFSC.

Killiney has some nice parks to walk around in, has a train station that goes to Connolly, and has a nice village.

Random house; https://www.daft.ie/for-rent/house-77-seafield-court-killiney-co-dublin/3163537

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Have to agree to disagree - Clontarf is hardly ideal for “hiking”! The great thing about SHankill is it’s proximity to outdoor activities and yet good transport links.
    And as for my “optimistic” commute times ... I apologise, I actually overstated them ... the Dart takes 33 minutes from Shankill to Pearse Street!
    the_syco wrote: »
    Killiney has some nice parks to walk around in, has a train station that goes to Connolly, and has a nice village.

Guys, you're suggesting places that are well over an hour door-to-door.

The Dart from Shankhill (on the border of Wicklow) may be 33 minutes on the train (all going well), but add in the time it takes from the house/apartment he ends up renting to the train station, the time waiting for the train, and a 15 minute walk from Connolly to his office...

To put it in to context. Getting the dart from anywhere beyond Sydney Parade on the southside is a non-runner (and even then, that depends on the OP finding an apartment close to the station).

Work it back the other way. 15 minute walk from Connolly and an (optimistic) average of a 5 minute wait for the train is 20 minutes. Given the desire for the commute to be 30-40 minutes, that leaves just 10-20 minutes to cover the walk from his home to the dart station* and the travel time on the train.

* ...and nobody wants to live right next to a dart station - been there done that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭kravmaga

OP, have you given this move much thought? Dublin is not a cheap city to live in, cost of living is quite high, public transport is not great, that's why most people use a car to get around, its a very car centric city, pre covid-19.

If your going to rent short term initially look in North Dublin like Fairview, Marino, Donnycarney, Killester, Clontarf or Artane.

You can cycle to a DART station and bring your bicycle on the train , get off at Connolly which is right beside the IFSC., Dublin 1.

You are close to the sea, St Annes Park and Fairview park nearby plus DART train stations at Clontarf, Killester, Harmonstown, Raheny.

My advice OP is not to live in Dublin 1 area, its soul less, lots of ferral teenagers causing anti-social problems which have been in the main stream media recently.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/district-court/boy-15-charged-with-fatal-stabbing-of-woman-at-ifsc-further-remanded-1.4518929

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/comparison/dublin/tokyo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

The Dublin mountains is a great resource for weekend trips but I don't think it's worth adding an extra 30 minutes plus onto a commute twice a day to save time in the car on the weekend. If I were your I'd be looking exclusively on the Northside Dartline and take it from there.

As I said previously - for me the benefits of living close to outdoor amenities far outweigh an additional maximum 30 minutes per day commute. And I got a sense from the OP that this might be important to them too. Nothing would persuade me to live close to the city-centre but everyone to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

As I said previously - for me the benefits of living close to outdoor amenities far outweigh an additional maximum 30 minutes per day commute. And I got a sense from the OP that this might be important to them too. Nothing would persuade me to live close to the city-centre but everyone to their own!

Plenty of options on the Northside that aren't City centre, with the cycle lane along the coast bringing you up to Howth there's plenty of options Northside that would make more sense for the OP to get a decent commute mixed with nice outdoor options.

I live on the south side by the way :)

I guess my thoughts are very much coloured by own preferences and experiences!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

dotsman wrote: »

To put it in to context. Getting the dart from anywhere beyond Sydney Parade on the southside is a non-runner (and even then, that depends on the OP finding an apartment close to the station).

Work it back the other way. 15 minute walk from Connolly and an (optimistic) average of a 5 minute wait for the train is 20 minutes.
    What are you even talking about?! I know the building (Hubspot/NYBM) very well and it is not a 15 minute walk from Connolly. If coming from the Southside, get off at Pearse, 10 minutes door to door. Know your train times and you won't be waiting 5 mins for a train to show up.

I get the train from both Sydney Parade and Booterstown and it is a runner. It is busy but you will always get on. People at Sandymount /Lansdowne also manage. Keep in mind that the 8.22 dart might be superbusy but the one 10 minutes later is fine. There is also the commuter from Blackrock at around 8.30.

Sandymount, Merrion, Booterstown, Blackrock, Monkstown are great locations. Not too far, coastal, can even easily cycle into work. Easy access to the mountains and Wicklow for hikes. Great schools if thinking long term.

TM2015 wrote: »
    I know the building (Hubspot/NYBM) very well and it is not a 15 minute walk from Connolly.
    From disembarking the train (typically platform 6 or 7) to the door of HubSpot is roughly 15 minutes. Don't believe me? Time yourself next time you do it. Even google maps is saying 11 minutes from the entrance of Connolly and it takes a few minutes to get to the entrance/exit from the train.
    If coming from the Southside, get off at Pearse, 10 minutes door to door.
    As for Pearse, while the station is smaller (so quicker to get to the exit form the train), google maps is still saying it's a 15 minute walk from the entrance of Pearse to the entrance of HubSpot.
    Know your train times and you won't be waiting 5 mins for a train to show up.
    It's not about knowing your train times. It about the fact that they are not exactly punctual to the precise minute every day, nor does anybody want to have to panic about running to get a certain train because they left the house/office a minute late.
    What are you even talking about?!
    I think it's pretty clear what I am talking about. I don't know why you need to be so dramatic/aggressive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭TM2015

I literary do that walk every day. It is not 15 minutes. Unless your are strolling in high heels while juggling 4 coffees and a bag of croissants.

If coming from the south side, use Pearse and use the side exit. By the time the train has pulled into Connolly you’re already at Lime Street flats and half way there.

And me being dramatic was in response to you saying anything past Sydney Parade is a no-runner. Which is total lies. The coastline is well served by the dart every 10mins and a great bus service. Or in near future even the new bike lanes along Rock, Merrion and Strand Rds.

The OP may even consider Ranelagh, Portobello as it is an easy cycle along the canal. Trendy areas, full of great spots for food.

I literary do that walk every day. It is not 15 minutes. Unless your are strolling in high heels while juggling 4 coffees and a bag of croissants.

Google disagrees with you, as would anyone else who walks that route. https://goo.gl/maps/7ecNtHaRM27JuZhd7

Why don't you record your trip tomorrow and post it here and show how you are able to magically do it?
    And me being dramatic was in response to you saying anything past Sydney Parade is a no-runner.
    Because, as I explained in that post, very clearly and very simply I might add, that given the walking from the dart station (be it Pearse or Connolly) along with waiting for a few minutes, offers only 10-20 minutes left to cater for the train ride and the walk from the apartment/house to the nearest Dart station.

Taking Sydney Parade as an example, again, I refer to Google maps. Assuming that the OP rents an apartment very close to Sydney Parade Dart station...

https://goo.gl/maps/xMqeMi8k3KDBdZxs5

...To be at work for 9.00, he needs to leave his home at 8.19. That google map journey also doesn't cater for the wait time for the train, or any delays etc. that is 41 minutes. Given the OP's criteria of 30-40 minutes, that is the absolute limit (technically beyond his limit).
    Which is total lies.
    Woah, so now I am a liar??? You really are exposing yourself here. Do tell - where exactly have I lied? (and why would I???).

I am here trying to help the OP. Ask yourself - what are you doing on this thread?
    The OP may even consider Ranelagh, Portobello as it is an easy cycle along the canal. Trendy areas, full of great spots for food.

But how are those recommendations relevant to the OP? Given his criteria, the options that have been recommended to him so far are to live in in Clontarf etc which is commutable and has parks etc, live on the outskirts of Dublin but commute for over an hour a day or live in the IFSC for the first few months or year while he gets to know the city and then pick a location once he has explored and settled at work and not have any commute in the interim. Portobello/Ranelagh offer nothing to match the OP's criteria and would be clearly inferior options to the IFSC or commutable suburbs.

Also, please read the OP's criteria (post 1 and 3) before suggesting any further places. It is very unfair on him as he is unfamiliar with Dublin (and also boards) and has just reached out for help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement