Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who is the best Premier League striker ever?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

Dennis Bergkamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Shearer was brilliant at Blackburn but he wasn't the same player at Newcastle after suffering so many injuries.

Give my vote for Thierry Henry, he actually got better as his career progressed. Devastating pace and was arguably the best player in the world for a couple of seasons with Arsenal,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,557 ✭✭✭✭CSF

larva wrote: »
    Dennis Bergkamp

You truly think Bergkamp is the best Premier League striker in history, or have we just regressed to listing strikers we know now?

In which case, Paul Rideout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Has to be Anelka. Because I fackin loved Anelka.
    It's Anelka.
    Anelka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

CSF wrote: »
    You truly think Bergkamp is the best Premier League striker in history, or have we just regressed to listing strikers we know now?

In which case, Paul Rideout.

It would be hard to say he shouldn't be in the conversation much like Cantona.

I think some people believe football is played on spreadsheets these days. X goals plus Y assists equals wins and league titles. Football is not baseball, it cannot be reduced to raw numbers.

Cantona and Bergkamp were club changing iconic players. To not have them in the conversation is insulting to the beauty of football.

I believe Bergkamp and Vieira are the only threads that run through Wenger's three great sides - 98 Double, 02 Double and the Invincibles.

At 108 minutes per goal, it's Aguero.

It would be hard to say he shouldn't be in the conversation much like Cantona.

I think some people believe football is played on spreadsheets these days. X goals plus Y assists equals wins and league titles. Football is not baseball, it cannot be reduced to raw numbers.

Cantona and Bergkamp were club changing iconic players. To not have them in the conversation is insulting to the beauty of football.

I believe Bergkamp and Vieira are the only threads that run through Wenger's three great sides - 98 Double, 02 Double and the Invincibles.

The reason Cantona and Bergkamp shouldn’t be in the conversation is because nobody genuinely believes they are THE best striker in the history of the Premier League.

If it was a ‘List great strikers of the Premier League era’ thread, both these guys are well worthy of inclusion.

Shearer was brilliant at Blackburn but he wasn't the same player at Newcastle after suffering so many injuries.

He was extraordinary at blackburn but he scored at a rate on one in two for newcastle, a period that covered well into his mid 30s where youd rightly expect the body to be slowing down generally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hard to make a case for being the best ever when the player was rubbish for more seasons than he was good. The likes of Shearer and Henry were always fantastic, you don't need to quietly ignore 4/5 rubbish years from them.

Since the question is the best striker I would go for Shearer or Drogba. Henry might be a more skilled player but if it was a world cup final and I need a striker to lead the team then it is one of those two.

I agree, but it depends on how you interpret the question. Absolutely RVN and Torres dont come anywhere near Shearer or Henry if you are asking who was the best ever in terms of longevity and stats. The OP question is somewhat vague though and if you interpret it to mean who was most best striker based on ability then of course I believe that for a period RVN and Torres were world class and unplayable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

They are called strikers for a reason.
    For that reason, its Alan Shearer all the way.

There have been some fantastic strikers that I've liked watching that haven't been discussed here e.g. Ian Wright and Les Ferdinand, but at the end of the day, when that ball comes in, and a team needs a goal, I'd be confident of a goal if Shearer was on the receiving end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Harry kane will likely do that this year, seems worth noting.

In a rubbish team.

Hi! Just worth noting that Kane ended up 23/14, which is a ways off 23/20 like Thierry Henry did. Seems worth noting. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liam O wrote: »
    Why Cantona doesn't get mentioned in these I'll never know.

But sure, I'll go for the one who was the best player out of all them and won the league every full season he played in it.

Because he wasn't a striker? :confused:

The goalscoring records show that I would of thought.

Shearer is the obvious answer, the stats don't lie but Henry is probably my favourite.

Honorable mentions for RVN, Aguero and Salah.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Saw a stat today that Aguero was so prolific that if he played another 28 games without scoring he would still have the highest goals to minutes ratio in Premiership history.

That is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Henry.
    Van nistelrooy.
    Aguero.
    Drogba.
    Shearer.
    Suarez.

Why Cantona doesn't get mentioned in these I'll never know.

But sure, I'll go for the one who was the best player out of all them and won the league every full season he played in it.

Because he spent most of his career knocking around France, scored 9 goals for Leeds and 60 odd for Man United and burnt out by the time he was 30.

Maybe that's why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Because he spent most of his career knocking around France, scored 9 goals for Leeds and 60 odd for Man United and burnt out by the time he was 30.

Maybe that's why.

He finished as top scorer for the league champions twice.

Once when he was 30. Some burnout.

Let it go, he doesn't belong in the conversation

Literally scored more than 20 goals In a season once. And shur finishing top scorer for your club means exactly what? Jesus... Cantona isn't anywhere near this conversation.

• Advertisement

This is definitely a case of creating a narrative that wouldn’t be considered normal criteria, to achieve a desired outcome.

Cantona has 70 Premier League goals. Was a marvelous footballer, but clearly does not belong in this particular conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

with the term Striker being used, I would think of Van Nistleroy, Shearer, Ferdinand, Owen, Fowler, Aguero, Kane, Cole. I wouldn't be thinking of Bergkamp, Zola, Cantona - i'd even discount Son, Salah - maybe even Henry as I consider him (probably wrongly) to be a wide forward rather than a striker.

To me the striker is central, leads the line and opperates mostly within the width of the 18 yard box.

For me, I'd go Shearer, Ruud, Kane. order undetermined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

SUBJECTIVE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,079 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

with the term Striker being used, I would think of Van Nistleroy, Shearer, Ferdinand, Owen, Fowler, Aguero, Kane, Cole. I wouldn't be thinking of Bergkamp, Zola, Cantona - i'd even discount Son, Salah - maybe even Henry as I consider him (probably wrongly) to be a wide forward rather than a striker.

To me the striker is central, leads the line and opperates mostly within the width of the 18 yard box.

For me, I'd go Shearer, Ruud, Kane. order undetermined.

Yeah I'd also go with the 'central' player too when looking into this which would automatically rule out the likes of Ronaldo, Son, Salah etc.

I do think that Henry would fit into the central position though, even if he loved to hang out left.

Advertisement