Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Display goes black periodically

Options
  • 30-03-2021 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, hoping for some help with an annoying problem.

I have a monitor with 2 machines connected to it (2 x HDMI ports on the monitor) and the display goes black pretty regularly. Sometimes it might just be once in a few hours, or it can happen multiple times for several minutes. While this is happening, there's no interruption with any of the running apps.

This happens on both machines, one desktop and one laptop - both new - and the issue has happened with different monitors (and different power and HDMI cables). I've tried all sorts of hardware diagnostic programs for the GPU etc, and none have shown a problem. I've updated display drivers etc.

The only thing left that I can think of, is that the power supply from the electrical outlet is not 100% as that's the only remaining common denominator. Does this sound plausible?

I can try and rule this in/out, but it means moving a load of things around, which would be a pain if it's not a likely cause.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Somewhat convoluted...
    Eoin wrote: »
    I have a monitor with 2 machines connected to it (2 x HDMI ports on the monitor)...
    two devices connected simultaneously to one monitor? Disconnect one and troubleshoot then
    ....This happens on both machines, one desktop and one laptop - both new - and the issue has happened with different monitors (and different power and HDMI cables)
    this could indicate issue with cable/computer/GPU/driver

As for power outlet(socket), easy to check - run extension cable from different part of the house for testing, however, your PC would go down as well if fault is on socket...

I have come across Samsung monitors going to "sleep" after ?? hours - see settings per monitor for "powersaver" or "green power" or whatever nonsense they call it per brand.
    The power-saving function of this product reduces power consumption by switching off the screen and changing the color of the power LED if the product is not used for a specified period of time. The power is not turned off in power-saving mode. To switch the screen back on, press any key on the keyboard or move the mouse. Power-saving mode only functions when the product is connected to a PC with a power-saving function.

Include monitor and computer make/models

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Thank you for the reply, and sorry for the lack of detail.

The desktop is a custom built one with a ASUS GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER graphics card, the laptop is a ThinkPad i7. Both are running Windows 10. The monitor is a Dell S2721HN (also new).

What I find odd is that it happens on both machines, and has happened with 2 monitors. I can try an extension lead from another socket, but as the problem is quite intermittent, it can take a while to rule in or out - it's not happened once today for some reason. But given the desktop doesn't shut down, that doesn't sound like the issue.

I don't think it's a power management thing - I've turned off all those settings on both machines and the monitor, and it will flicker on and off very regularly on occasion rather than go to sleep until woken. I think I'll just have to disconnect everything to try and find the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

..... it will flicker on and off very regularly on occasion rather than go to sleep until woken.
    Now this is slightly different description

I have this happening on one of mine setup, however, i run x3 monitors over HP docking. Monitor that does flicker(only one)time to time is old Dell SE198WFPf(2007) on DVI-to-DP lead. Never got to the bottom of this as willing to replace monitor some time "soon" and it happens occasionally. Could be due to HP dock unable to provide or dislike adapter lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

Ctrl+Shift+Win+B will restart Graphics driver and bring monitors back, far handier than trying to change modes or powercycle monitor depending where power button is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I swapped out the laptop (I've a backup work one) and the monitor has not flickered once with either the laptop or the desktop that's still connected to it. That's obviously great, but I can't figure out how a display problem on one machine would affect the display on two... Anyway, it's working now so I'll just stick with the other laptop. Thanks for the replies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement