Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two nations one team!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It is the British and Irish Lions team btw. No I would not propose that but if there was such a side I would support it like with the British and Irish Lions in rugby.

You said you could not support an all Ireland football team and would have to support another team instead tho you could support an all UK football side even tho you wouldnt propose it. How come you could change from supporting NI to supporting an all UK side but could not change from supporting NI to UI football team. NI isn't your sovereign country but you still support it. So therefore you can supports teams that represent where you live that aren't your sovereign country . An all Ireland side is a team that is represtive of where you live and not your sovereign country like in rugby. So you can add English/Scottish/welsh players to the NI team and you would support that team. But adding players from the south and you cant support the team. That is bigotry towards the south whether you can see that or not.

Also I have watched NI play. The home Jersey is green and they also refer to themselves as Irish and not British in context of football yet it would be so controversial merging the two irish sides.

Again. It’s you that’s displaying bigotry. I don’t support Ireland rugby team and my republican friends understand and respect that. They don’t support ni team and I understand and respect that. I feel strongly people should be allowed to support (or indeed the opposite) any team they want to.
    If you are in Dublin then You can enjoy watching your nearest neighbour England getting beat if you wish and I’ll enjoy my nearest neighbour Roi getting beat.
    Try not to turn this into something it is not.
    You are asking me to accept the unification of my team with the team I detest most in the world. Exactly like me asking you to accept the unification of your team with England

Where in the ground were the Tricolours at that infamous World Cup playoff? Not there? Why not?((Union Jacks were in abundant evidence at the corresponding Lansdowne Road fixture).

Would Tricolour waving ROI supporters be made welcome at Windsor Park now? If not, why not?

Celtic players be made feel welcome playing for NI. I'm sure that Anton Rogan and Neil Lennon felt the love of the boos coming from the Windsor Park terraces.

Windsor Park is a cold place for Nationalists.

You are going back 20 years to Lennon and Rogan Things were different then. We adore our Celtic players now. And indeed everyone including Neill Lennon would tell that it was only ever a very small minority that booed him. But that has been transformed

There are some players who are Catholic playing for the north, but you’d be kidding yourself if you thought the Catholic population are not far more likely to support the Republic. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

No there is nothing wrong with that. I completely support their right to do that , while I will continue to campaign for a change to the anthem to remove that chill factor

downcow wrote: »
    Again. It’s you that’s displaying bigotry. I don’t support Ireland rugby team and my republican friends understand and respect that. They don’t support ni team and I understand and respect that. I feel strongly people should be allowed to support (or indeed the opposite) any team they want to.
    If you are in Dublin then You can enjoy watching your nearest neighbour England getting beat if you wish and I’ll enjoy my nearest neighbour Roi getting beat.
    Try not to turn this into something it is not.
    You are asking me to accept the unification of my team with the team I detest most in the world. Exactly like me asking you to accept the unification of your team with England

For me that would be asking me to accept joining my team to NI, not England. Which is what the thread is asking in the first place and is completely unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

You are going back 20 years to Lennon and Rogan Things were different then. We adore our Celtic players now. And indeed everyone including Neill Lennon would tell that it was only ever a very small minority that booed him. But that has been transformed
    I'm sure that they don't sing about hating Catholics anymore (at least in the stadium) but what about the the Tricolour? Could visiting ROI fans fly the flag? If not, why not?

Also, if Mr. Bingham is such a gentleman, surely he should have used his high standing to dampen down the poison that was flowing from the terraces that night. Instead, he encouraged it.

Catholics might play for Northern Ireland but do you think the NI football team has the support of your fellow citizens, the Nationalist community? If not, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No there is nothing wrong with that. I completely support their right to do that , while I will continue to campaign for a change to the anthem to remove that chill factor

Even in the event of a UI I’d support an NI team continuing, if there was a demand for it. I don’t really see a situation where NI is a favoured team for Catholics, but it’s not impossible, and changing the anthem would be a big step. But I don’t see a problem with NI football being something for people from the unionist community now that people born in the north can play for the Republic.

Even in the event of a UI I’d support an NI team continuing, if there was a demand for it. I don’t really see a situation where NI is a favoured team for Catholics, but it’s not impossible, and changing the anthem would be a big step. But I don’t see a problem with NI football being something for people from the unionist community now that people born in the north can play for the Republic.
    But they are not choosing to play for the republic

Some have, and the important thing is that they have the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I am a bit reluctant to open up this silly discussion again, but it seems you are using my non-willingness to answer it to avoid telling us about the long list of people from Northern Ireland (outside the league of Ireland area of Derry) who have chosen not to play for Northern Ireland.
    I’ll ignore the fact that you suddenly change my comment from ‘in the lead up to the game and on the night’, and get on with answering the question.
    You asked,Ticket allocation and area of the ground. As far as I remember the ticket allocation was 200 but then there were other corporate tickets given out. The Republic of Ireland supporters were in the bottom right of the South stand as I viewed it. A family member of mine worked for an Irish bank who got an allocation of tickets, he of course did not get a ticket because they knew he was a Northern Ireland supporter. One of his workmates who did get a ticket was ejected out of the ground by security for holding up a Celtic poster towards the Northern Ireland crowd, he faced a mild disciplinary afterwards in his work. There were also three Republic of Ireland fans sitting right in front of me in the midst of thousands of Northern Ireland fans, and if I am not mistaken the Shankill Road supporters club hosted a group of Republic of Ireland supporters

So what did the Irish team and the fans get up to? - here’s just a few from memory.
    When our fans attended the match in Dublin, prior to this match; both inside and outside the ground we were met with endless chants of, ooh aah up the RA, and just general sectarian abuse.

The FAI made a number of representations to FIFA to get the game moved to a neutral venue. Every other country in the world at that time could come and play at our ground but our neighbours tried to stab us in the back. Had this game been stopped we would have had a huge difficulty getting any games back to Belfast.

Our fans coaches were stoned on the way to Dublin both at Newry and in Dublin itself

there is also context, if my memory serves me right, this was just weeks after 13 innocent people had been murdered in an IRA sectarian bomb, just a mile from the ground. And we were playing a team who had IRA songs played on the team coach.

I absolutely will not deny that there was a partisan atmosphere, and a very partisan crowd, and people’s goat was up because of the FAI trying to get our stadium closed as well as derogatory stuff that Jack Charlton said about our team.

The point that has became urban folklore is about Billy Bingham egging the crowd on. Billy Bingham and the fans he loved had taken a lot of sh1t on the lead up to this, the so-called Irish team had a very high proportion of English players. The only point Billy Bingham raised his hand to encourage the crowd was while we were singing ‘England rejects’. To this day he has my full support for doing that. The man was a legend amongst us, and a gentleman.

We can all see the respective matches. T.V. cameras were at both. You are waffling in regards to how both away supporters got welcomed in each others grounds.

Jacks team had to fly into Belfast (for security reasons), it's on record! An international match and our team could not travel up the road on a coach?

I asked you what the Irish fans got up to that night in Windsor park? You still won't answer it. You can't. Even though you try to hint that they were trouble..

You are making excuses for what went on that night. Both games, Home/Away, are recorded . Windsor Park was bear pit of sectarian and racist abuse.

Was the Lansdowne road fixture also the same? If it was point it out!
    If it was not, well....give up the ghost. The world saw what the Jacks team met with that night...it was not edifying.

200 tickets, that would barely cover the staff in the F.A.I.....show me a tricolour from that night! The match was on t.v. ...you should have no problem showing the welcome our team and fans received.

Edit: btw when I say "fans"...as it was on t.v. ...could you point them out to us,, the N.I. fans in Lansdowne Road in the reverse match could be identified ( as one would expect).

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

Or being picked by ROI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

There are some players who are Catholic playing for the north, but you’d be kidding yourself if you thought the Catholic population are not far more likely to support the Republic. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Mad when you think deeply about it. Talking about Catholics & Protestants on a football team, like NI must be the only place on the planet where Christianity is divided in such a way on the football pitch :cool:

Some have, and the important thing is that they have the choice.

I am happy that they have the choice, big problem is the switching often after being groomed by the other associations.
    There should be an age that the choice has to be made. I would suggest 18. I would like it younger but o have to be fair to the youngsters. It’s important that sign up for the country they want to, if eligible.
    Current situation is a nonsense

Mad when you think deeply about it. Talking about Catholics & Protestants on a football team, like NI must be the only place on the planet where Christianity is divided in such a way on the football pitch :cool:

Wrong. The only place it has ever been divided on the pitch is Roi. Give me one example of a Catholic ever being treated differently by the ifa or not being picked by a ni manager.
    Contrast Roi. They strictly only approach Rc players in the north to groom them. This is clearly evidenced. You show me a single Protestant player they have approached who was on the ni radar, eligible for ni and had any hope of playing for ni.
    There actually is one example. They approached paddy McNair thinking by his name that he was a rc. They immediately backed away when they discovered he was a protestant

So be honest about who has the one sided team. I don’t think you will find a ni team in history that was exclusively one religion or other. We need to go to the south of the border to find that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Again. It’s you that’s displaying bigotry. I don’t support Ireland rugby team

This is hypocritical.

You won't support the Ireland rugby team because it has players from the south on it too. Can you support Europe in the Ryder Cup? If so how can you support a Europe side that represents you but not an Ireland side that represents you if you are not a bigot towards the south

I would not be on for merging Ireland and England but if there was a team where Irish and English players play together like the British and Irish lions then I do support it as I have no bigotry towards the English.

But you cant support your existing rugby side because it is mixed with players from the south. That is bigotry towards the south by definition. How can you not see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

I am happy that they have the choice, big problem is the switching often after being groomed by the other associations.
    There should be an age that the choice has to be made. I would suggest 18. I would like it younger but o have to be fair to the youngsters. It’s important that sign up for the country they want to, if eligible.
    Current situation is a nonsense

Yes I agree that it not an ideal situation where a player comes through the underage teams and then switches at senior level. Not sure about the age cut off though, possibly leave it where the cut off point starts whenever a player plays a competitive game at senior level as it stands at the moment but maybe there are other alternatives.

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    We can all see the respective matches. T.V. cameras were at both. You are waffling in regards to how both away supporters got welcomed in each others grounds.

Jacks team had to fly into Belfast (for security reasons), it's on record! An international match and our team could not travel up the road on a coach?

I asked you what the Irish fans got up to that night in Windsor park? You still won't answer it. You can't. Even though you try to hint that they were trouble..

You are making excuses for what went on that night. Both games, Home/Away, are recorded . Windsor Park was bear pit of sectarian and racist abuse.

Was the Lansdowne road fixture also the same? If it was point it out!
    If it was not, well....give up the ghost. The world saw what the Jacks team met with that night...it was not edifying.

200 tickets, that would barely cover the staff in the F.A.I.....show me a tricolour from that night! The match was on t.v. ...you should have no problem showing the welcome our team and fans received.

Edit: btw when I say "fans"...as it was on t.v. ...could you point them out to us,, the N.I. fans in Lansdowne Road in the reverse match could be identified ( as one would expect).

Too much nonsense on this to address on my phone. I’ll take it apart when in front of my computer.
    In the mean time put up or shut up about ‘half the talent of ni going elsewhere’

This is hypocritical.

You won't support the Ireland rugby team because it has players from the south on it too. Can you support Europe in the Ryder Cup? If so how can you support a Europe side that represents you but not an Ireland side that represents you if you are not a bigot towards the south

I would not be on for merging Ireland and England but if there was a team where Irish and English players play together like the British and Irish lions then I do support it as I have no bigotry towards the English.

But you cant support your existing rugby side because it is mixed with players from the south. That is bigotry towards the south by definition. How can you not see this.

Nonsense. You are doing contortions and making stuff up. I have no problem whatsoever with some one from the south playing in OWC team. They just need to have a link and eligible. To imply I have any problem with individuals from the south is nasty dishonest stuff.
    Maybe you can demonstrate where I said any such thing about either the football or rugby team - or maybe you will have the integrity to apologise

And as for the Ryder cup, no I don’t support Europe or USA tbh I don’t give a toss who wins it but I can enjoy the golf and would support all the ni players in it.

Nonsense. You are doing contortions and making stuff up. I have no problem whatsoever with some one from the south playing in OWC team. They just need to have a link and eligible. To imply I have any problem with individuals from the south is nasty dishonest stuff.
    Maybe you can demonstrate where I said any such thing about either the football or rugby team - or maybe you will have the integrity to apologise

1. You said you can't support the Irish rugby side.

2. If there was an all Ireland football side you would probably support a different international side than it.

They are two statements that imply you are a bigot towards the south.

1. You said you can't support the Irish rugby side.

2. If there was an all Ireland football side you would probably support a different international side than it.

They are two statements that imply you are a bigot towards the south.

I would appreciate some other posters commenting on this as I am finding ittakestwo comments disgraceful. I have tried to explain but he doesn’t want to hear. I am curious is it clear to others that he is talking nonsense? ..and I appeal particularly to those who disagree with me on my stance to comment

I will try once more with you ittakestwo. Would it be bigotry
    1. if you couldn’t support a new combined team of Roi and England which was introduced to replace the two teams and was based at Wembley?
    2. if you decided to start supporting ni instead of this new team?

Call me stupid of you wish, but refrain from calling me a bigot, without some evidence, or I will report you

I would appreciate some other posters commenting on this as I am finding ittakestwo comments disgraceful. I have tried to explain but he doesn’t want to hear. I am curious is it clear to others that he is talking nonsense? ..and I appeal particularly to those who disagree with me on my stance to comment

I will try once more with you ittakestwo. Would it be bigotry
    1. if you couldn’t support a new combined team of Roi and England which was introduced to replace the two teams and was based at Wembley?
    2. if you decided to start supporting ni instead of this new team?

Call me stupid of you wish, but refrain from calling me a bigot, without some evidence, or I will report you

1. I would not like Ireland to be merged with England but if that was the side that represented where I was from then I would.

2 I am not from NI but I do support the side to a lesser degree than the ROI as it still an Irish side.

But you cant support the existing rugby side that represented you and has been the side that represented you all your life because it has players from the south on it. That implies bigotry towards the south.

• Advertisement

People can’t be forced to feel an allegiance to anything.

1. I would not like Ireland to be merged with England but if that was the side that represented where I was from then I would.

2 I am not from NI but I do support the side to a lesser degree than the ROI as it still an Irish side.

But you cant support the existing rugby side that represented you and has been the side that represented you all your life because it has players from the south on it. That implies bigotry towards the south.

You are either trolling or you don’t understand what bigotry is. I take offence from you suggesting I am bigoted towards people from the south. That means I would be bigoted towards my father. Catch ulyoutself on.

I don’t support the ireland rugby team for many reasons. Here’s a few.
    The broken agreement to play 50% of games under my flag
    The secret meeting of the catholic players and the irfu (unbeknownst to the Protestant players) which determined to never play in Belfast
    The using of the Ulster provencal flag along with the Roi flag at last World Cup (that was probably the last straw that demonstrated how despised unionists are by irfu)
    I could go on
    ...and of course I would like a Northern irland rugby team just like football. It’s hardly an unreasonable request to have a team represent my country

So drop the ‘bigoted against southerners’ line. Everyone of the above would upset equally if it was Scotland as opposed to Roi that we were united to play with.

Also, just to be open with you, I have had no choice but to report you cor continuing to say I am bigoted towards people from the south

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Strange question.
    I have never once said anything about ni being more successful than Roi, but it seems several posters wish I had.

The question sort of demonstrates the delusional thinking of some Roi fans.
    Ni fans know we will never win a World Cup or euro. If that’s what you are in football for then it’s no wonder you spend your life disappointed.
    Ni have spent most of the last 50 years as number 1 in the world per capita. That is an amazing record, combined with producing what many would regard as the most naturally talented player ever in the world. A lot of very small countries have starting competing in recent years to knock us down to 8th, but when it is restricted to countries with population over 1 million then we still reign supreme.
    We are also current British Champions.
    Not bad for OWC.
    Also endless awards for the fans and a reputation across Europe for friendliness https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_and_White_Army OWC fans are very happy with their teams achievements- onwards and upwards!

Northern Ireland hasn't won any Euros or World Cup. That's the international standard for success.

Let me say it again. Your team has won nothing.

You are either trolling or you don’t understand what bigotry is. I take offence from you suggesting I am bigoted towards people from the south. That means I would be bigoted towards my father. Catch ulyoutself on.

The secret meeting of the catholic players and the irfu (unbeknownst to the Protestant players) which determined to never play in Belfast
    The using of the Ulster provencal flag along with the Roi flag at last World Cup (that was probably the last straw that demonstrated how despised unionists are by irfu)
    I could go on
    ...and of course I would like a Northern irland rugby team just like football. It’s hardly an unreasonable request to have a team represent my country

So drop the ‘bigoted against southerners’ line. Everyone of the above would upset equally if it was Scotland as opposed to Roi that we were united to play with.

Also, just to be open with you, I have had no choice but to report you cor continuing to say I am bigoted towards people from the south

Your flag and my flag. There is one flag for the Ireland rugby side. They have always played home match in Dublin too. Not like they're playing in cork and galway but refuse belfast. It is anything with an all Ireland identity that you will find a reason not to support but of course this is nothing to do with bigotry towards the south.

In Cheltenham what excuse have you found not to support Ireland over Britain in the overall winners tallies?

Your flag and my flag. There is one flag for the Ireland rugby side. They have always played home match in Dublin too. Not like they're playing in cork and galway but refuse belfast. It is anything with an all Ireland identity that you will find a reason not to support but of course this is nothing to do with bigotry towards the south.

In Cheltenham what excuse have you found not to support Ireland over Britain in the overall winners tallies?

So what flag/flags did the use at the World Cup. You are wrong again.
    And check you history about what the agreement was about alternative games in Belfast and Dublin. And check the reason it changed, and the sectarian meeting which Protestant players were told afterwards ‘was a meeting to pray for the pope’ and not told that their fellow players had agreed with the irfu that they would never again be asked to play in Belfast or under gstq.
    I don’t mind that you are factually wrong on most of what you are saying but I take offence to being continually accused of being a bigot.
    Note I still haven’t referred to you as a bigot nor will I

ulster wrote: »
    Northern Ireland hasn't won any Euros or World Cup. That's the international standard for success.

Let me say it again. Your team has won nothing.

Reigning British champions!

...but I don’t agree with your measure of success for an international team That means 95%+ of international teams are a failure

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm against it. It will only encourage Phil Coulter to write another song.

So what flag/flags did the use at the World Cup. You are wrong again.
    And check you history about what the agreement was about alternative games in Belfast and Dublin. And check the reason it changed, and the sectarian meeting which Protestant players were tol afterwards was a meeting to pray for the pope and not told that their fellow players had agreed with the irfu that they would never again be asked to play in Belfast or under gstq.
    I don’t mind that you are factually wrong on most of what you are saying but I take offence to bringing continually accused of being a bigot.
    Note I still haven’t referred to you as a bigot nor will I

You were the first poster to accuse others of bigotry in this thread in post #213 which made me laugh as you are extremely bigoted towards the south and I had to respond to the hypocrisy.

Anything with an all Ireland identity you cant support and will find a reason not to support even tho it is the team that represents where you live.

What is the excuse not to support Ireland over Britain in Cheltenham?

What is the reason do you not support Ireland's cricket team in a match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

I could go on

Which flag would you like to see used?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I hope an all island international soccer team happens, its always been my dream to sing Irelands call, and be inspired as James McLean whips a dangerous ball into the box, for the onrushing Kyle Lafferty to shoot narrowly wide as Cyprus cling to a 1-0 lead in the dying minutes.

Advertisement