Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two nations one team!

Options

Comments

Maybe when the numbers are more favourable there could be enough support for one Team. It wouldn’t really matter then if the team had the support of the OP or his hardcore brethren. He would just stop supporting them but nobody would really notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

trashcan wrote: »
    You said yourself a few pages back that ROI was the team you most despised in the world. Hardly paints a picture of warm and fuzzy feelings towards the South. But no bigotry there, no siree.

Dispise was a very strong word and maybe not the best choice.
    In club football I love to see Utd herring beat. In international football I love to see Roi getting beat.
    I like the people of Manchester and I like the people of Roi.
    Roi are our nearest neighbour and rival. They are around the same standard as us on average. And they try to groom every single catholic player who is eligible for our team (thankfully few go). If they had their way ni would be an exclusively Protestant team and Roi exclusively Catholic. That would be horribly sad.
    So is it any wonder I enjoy seeing them get beat.

The more I see and hear of Rice I’m just sorry he lined out for us at all. Definitely glad he’s gone and wanted him gone as soon as he first started to stall.

Exactly how almost every ni fan feels about McLean. You guys have managed him well. He would have been a car crash waiting to happen for us.

Maybe when the numbers are more favourable there could be enough support for one Team. It wouldn’t really matter then if the team had the support of the OP or his hardcore brethren. He would just stop supporting them but nobody would really notice.

It is really interesting that for many posters on this forum
    They (unionists) are bad
    And
    We (republicans) are good

Never seems to matter which side the logic is with or how reasonable the request eg we like to have a football team representing our country.

You have got a team and I defend the right of anyone in the north to regard it as their team. It’s a shame you’d like to see me without a team.
    But hey, I’ve learnt that how some of you tick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

downcow wrote: »
    If we could have the tricolour and Ulster flag and neither national anthem then the team would get my full support and I would enjoy supporting it.

So what you want is a disgraced, stood down, flag that represents little else but a failed, sectarian, one party, Unionist statelet to represent both communities in the north? Is this the absolutely crackers privilege you demand?

This is a fantastic exposition of a person who considers himself as a 'moderate' unionist. Absolutely fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

In club football I love to see Utd herring beat. In international football I love to see Roi getting beat.

I would say the opposite is true for the most part the other way around, in that most ROI supporters like to see NI do well unless playing against each other. This has been my experience at least.

So what you want is a disgraced, stood down, flag that represents little else but a failed, sectarian, one party, Unionist statelet to represent both communities in the north? Is this the absolutely crackers privilege you demand?

This is a fantastic exposition of a person who considers himself as a 'moderate' unionist. Absolutely fantastic.

Haha. You see guys!
    This is exactly why I said I was giving the option of my official flag, the union flag, as I knew some would react like this to the Ulster flag.
    .....And the Irish tricolour wasn’t soiled by the Ira over the last 50 years?

mehico wrote: »
    I would say the opposite is true for the most part the other way around, in that most ROI supporters like to see NI do well unless playing against each other. This has been my experience at least.

Not my experience, most people I know wouldn’t support NI at all. They are about one step below Rangers.

I’m being very generous today I’m trying to give the OP everything he wanted when he started this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Steady on! the Queen is of German descent, and her husband was born in Greece!

Bloody foreigners taking all the monarchy jobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭smokie72

It is really interesting that for many posters on this forum
    They (unionists) are bad
    And
    We (republicans) are good

Never seems to matter which side the logic is with or how reasonable the request eg we like to have a football team representing our country.

You have got a team and I defend the right of anyone in the north to regard it as their team. It’s a shame you’d like to see me without a team.
    But hey, I’ve learnt that how some of you tick

I might not always agree with you downcow but I could say that to anyone. I respect your point of view but I dont think unionists are bad people or republicans either but you always get a few bad apples on either side. I hope Northern Ireland do well in the qualifiers.

mehico wrote: »

I was in Paris for the Euros and it was funny to see how many French people stopped me asking why there were 2 Irelands at the tournament. As for the ROI fans every effort was made to promote a friendly atmosphere with NI fans and it certainly looked like the same effort was made in return.

Both sets of fans afterwards were awarded the freedom of Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Haha. You see guys!
    This is exactly why I said I was giving the option of my official flag, the union flag, as I knew some would react like this to the Ulster flag.
    .....And the Irish tricolour wasn’t soiled by the Ira over the last 50 years?

Look lad you seem like a decent fella but the likes of this is like a red rag to a bull. I understand where you're coming from but saying the tricolour is soiled is just wrong.

Anyone can wave it. But the idea that it is despoiled by the actions of some for us all is wrong. You're on a crusade here and only likley to stir up the worst kind of response. The vast majority of us bear no grudge and would abhor the mayhem of the troubles.

Most of us only want to get on. I don't think I ever spoke to a unionist in person. That's why I responded to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

Many Ulster rugby fans fly the nine counties Ulster flag at matches. Ulster rugby is partly financed by the IRFU and is required to develop rugby throughout the Province i.e. the nine counties. The six-county flag does not represent Ulster rugby.

Many Ulster rugby fans fly the nine counties Ulster flag at matches. Ulster rugby is partly financed by the IRFU and is required to develop rugby throughout the Province i.e. the nine counties. The six-county flag does not represent Ulster rugby.

No but it is fairly widely used. Some of the reason for that might be that it matches the jersey better than the yellow one but that's just a guess on my part

This is exactly why I said I was giving the option of my official flag, the union flag

You demand that the British/UK flag flies to represent both communities in the north? For an all Ireland team?

I would like the neutral readers of the thread to understand the privileged treatment so-called moderate unionists demand. 100 years of this shit from 'moderate' unionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

breezy1985 wrote: »
    No but it is fairly widely used. Some of the reason for that might be that it matches the jersey better than the yellow one but that's just a guess on my part
    Maybe...but I think you may be giving many of those who do fly the six counties flag the benefit of the doubt.

You demand that the British/UK flag flies to represent both communities in the north? For an all Ireland team?

I would like the neutral readers of the thread to understand the privileged treatment so-called moderate unionists demand. 100 years of this shit from 'moderate' unionists.

In fairness he said with another flag. I can't see how that isn't moderate

Maybe...but I think you may be giving many of those who do fly the six counties flag the benefit of the doubt.

I imagine most Ulster fans are unionists or at least from unionist voting areas of Ulster. Certainly my experience of AIL fans from Ulster I would say they almost all are but I'm sure the pro team have a wider audience

PCeeeee wrote: »
    In fairness he said with another flag. I can't see how that isn't moderate

He wants the British flag to represent both communities in the north of Ireland. How is that 'moderate'?
    breezy1985 wrote: »
    No but it is fairly widely used.

The cherished flag of unionist narcoterrorists has no place in the 21st Century.

• Advertisement

He wants the British flag to represent both communities in the north of Ireland. How is that 'moderate'?

The cherished flag of unionist narcoterrorists has no place in the 21st Century.

No. He didn't say that. In fact he agreed with me that the union flag wouldn't be the best choice.

His preference (apologies dc I don't mean to dial for you) is an Ulster flag should be used.

Why would that be bad? Unionists play for the RU team. Why should they not feel that they're represented?

His preference (apologies dc I don't mean to dial for you) is an Ulster flag should be used.

Are you alluding to the disgraced Government of Northern Ireland flag? The flag that represented a one-party Unionist statelet that had a sectarian paramilitary police force and rampant discrimination against Nationalists/Catholics?

Seriously?

I've just seen the Stormont flag for the first time and there is something very Scottish looking about it

Are you alluding to the disgraced Government of Northern Ireland flag? The flag that represented a one-party Unionist statelet that had a sectarian paramilitary police force and rampant discrimination against Nationalists/Catholics?

Seriously?

I'm suggesting, seriously, that people should pick their own flags.

Or you feel you should pick them for them?

I'm suggesting, seriously, that people should pick their own flags.

Or you feel you should pick them for them?

Oh I'm quite happy with the people in the north choosing an agreed-upon flag but that's not what DC wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I like the people of Manchester and I like the people of Roi.
    Roi are our nearest neighbour and rival. They are around the same standard as us on average. And they try to groom every single catholic player who is eligible for our team (thankfully few go). If they had their way ni would be an exclusively Protestant team and Roi exclusively Catholic. That would be horribly sad.
    So is it any wonder I enjoy seeing them get beat.

The thing is in the Republic we don't give two hoots about the whole protestant/ catholic thing. You otoh seem obsessed with it. Just because one of our senators mentioned the
    Possibility ofan all Ireland team, you seem to latch
    Onto it like some spinster on the shelf who has been ignored for so long. Fact is we have no interest in joining with your team and certainly no Interest in attracting a bunch of " supporters " who are stuck in the religious dark ages.

Seriously?

Well that’s his country. I don’t like ulster unionists much either but guys like you who can’t even allow the other side a flag, because reasons, aren’t going to unite a football team never mind the country.

Look lad you seem like a decent fella but the likes of this is like a red rag to a bull. I understand where you're coming from but saying the tricolour is soiled is just wrong.

Anyone can wave it. But the idea that it is despoiled by the actions of some for us all is wrong. You're on a crusade here and only likley to stir up the worst kind of response. The vast majority of us bear no grudge and would abhor the mayhem of the troubles.

Most of us only want to get on. I don't think I ever spoke to a unionist in person. That's why I responded to you.

Thanks.
    But I saw a wee clip of the jack charlton programme the other night and southerners were saying jack reclaimed the tricolour for them as the ira use of it had left the ashamed of it (that’s not verbatim), so that’s where I got that belief.

Yeah I think you are right. I reckon most people are fairly content with ni and Roi both existing and people supporting who they want

I didn’t demand anything

• Advertisement

Well that’s his country.

And this is the problem, it's not his 'country'. The north is no longer a Unionist fiefdom where they get to lord it over the rest of the population.

DC and the other 'moderates' needs to have a chat with their nationalist neighbours, among others, and come to an agreement on what flag will represent everyone there while the place still exists at least.

Advertisement