Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two nations one team!

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Five Eighth

downcow wrote: »
    I find that all very hard to follow.
    If it is any help to you, my closest wee loyalist flute band from the village of Maghera is called the ‘Star of Down’ so I don’t know the point you are making

Lucy like evidence https://m.facebook.com/SODMaghera1975/videos/2774651405936172/
    I was responding to your comments - i.e.

Why would there be a six county flag at a one county game. That’s just rediculous.
    The boys from County Armagh had just won the game, why wouldn't they sing the song?

Your 'rediculous' (sic) comment re the flying of the six counties flag.
    My surprise at the singing of the song after the match by a team from NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Why would there be a six county flag at a one county game. That’s just rediculous.
    The boys from County Armagh had just won the game, why wouldn't they sing the song?

Again, I don’t know if you are asking me something or telling me something

Then it's time to vote them out. Absolutely shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

A highly misleading post (to match the Belfast Telegraph's equally misleading headline).

The reality, fortunately detailed better in the body of the article rather than the headline, is that 25% of politicians polled in Ireland would be completely unwilling to compromise on the flag. It is such a horrendous headline; the polling had nothing to do with whether those polled WANTED to keep the tricolour as the national flag, but rather whether they would be willing to compromise on it if that would make inroads towards achieving unification. I'm actually surprised it is as high as 25% who would be unwilling to compromise on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

In fairness Years ago I heard Ken Mcguinness belting out " Sean South from Garryowen" in the Shannon clubhouse many years ago.

Again, I don’t know if you are asking me something or telling me something
    Your problem with the Ulster nine-counties (Provincial) flag being flown at Ireland matches:

“The using of the Ulster provencal (sic) flag along with the Roi flag at last World Cup (that was probably the last straw that demonstrated how despised unionists are by irfu)”
    Your wish to fly the six-counties Northern Ireland flag or the Union flag at Ireland matches:
    “If the Irish tricolour is being used then it should be accompanied with by the union flag or the white Ulster flag, which are the two flags that represent my country.”
    If we could have the tricolour and Ulster flag and neither national anthem then the team would get my full support and I would enjoy supporting it.
    “…the Irish tricolour and the soldiers song would not appear in any form unless my flag and anthem also featured.
    And if supporters use the Irish tricolour then ni supporters should feel equally able to bring their flag to games.”

I attempted to make the point that Ulster rugby is charged with spreading and developing the game of rugby throughout Ulster i.e. the nine counties. How could a six-counties NI flag achieve that objective?

I then gave the example of going to a match in Armagh and the six-county flag was not flying. No one seemed to care.

Also, after that game, all the players and supporters sang a song which placed their county within a 32-county Ireland. No one seemed to care.

You questioned the above, describing my vignette as ‘rediculous’ (sic). I simply responded to same.

Ps: Your suggestion that, as an alternative, the Union flag might fly in conjunction with the Tricolour at Ireland rugby matches is so uninformed that it doesn't merit a response.

Your problem with the Ulster nine-counties (Provincial) flag being flown at Ireland matches:

“The using of the Ulster provencal (sic) flag along with the Roi flag at last World Cup (that was probably the last straw that demonstrated how despised unionists are by irfu)”
    Your wish to fly the six-counties Northern Ireland flag or the Union flag at Ireland matches:
    “If the Irish tricolour is being used then it should be accompanied with by the union flag or the white Ulster flag, which are the two flags that represent my country.”
    If we could have the tricolour and Ulster flag and neither national anthem then the team would get my full support and I would enjoy supporting it.
    “…the Irish tricolour and the soldiers song would not appear in any form unless my flag and anthem also featured.
    And if supporters use the Irish tricolour then ni supporters should feel equally able to bring their flag to games.”

I attempted to make the point that Ulster rugby is charged with spreading and developing the game of rugby throughout Ulster i.e. the nine counties. How could a six-counties NI flag achieve that objective?

I then gave the example of going to a match in Armagh and the six-county flag was not flying. No one seemed to care.

Also, after that game, all the players and supporters sang a song which placed their county within a 32-county Ireland. No one seemed to care.

You questioned the above, describing my vignette as ‘rediculous’ (sic). I simply responded to same.

Ps: Your suggestion that, as an alternative, the Union flag might fly in conjunction with the Tricolour at Ireland rugby matches is so uninformed that it doesn't merit a response.

Let me try and respond to your points

I agree with you and never said anything to the contrary. I am clear that the nine county Ulster flag is yellow

I think I deduct from what you are saying that the nine county flag was not flying either - I would be a bit surprised if it was flying at Armagh rugby club (but hey, I don't know much about rugby). So I have no idea how this is in any way relevant

again, I do not know much about this song, but I have had a look at the lyrics, and again I am not sure what point you're making. Co Armagh is on the island of Ireland - I don't think any of us would disagree with that, and that is simply what the song says. It at no time projects any idea of a 32 county country or Republic

is it uninformed to ask why the IRFU do not uphold an agreement they made? (well to be precise, the agreement was that they would fly on their own at alternative games - I would be equally okay with that). Of course that agreement was rescinded in, what must be the most inherently sectarian meeting that is ever taken up place in any sport anywhere in the world. For the catholic players to arrange a secret meeting with their bosses, and tell their Protestant teammates that they had been meeting to pray for the Pope who was ill the time. Do you agree this was an incredible affair?
    Do you accept that the IRFU entered an agreement to fly the union flag and the tricolour at alternative games? As it is probably at the crux of the issue if you do not know this

This is your position on the nine-counties Ulster flag:

The six-counties flag does not represent Northern Ireland nationalists nor the three Ulster counties in Ireland. Therefore, the nine-counties Ulster flag is used.

Having being at many AIL, professional club and international matches and spoken with Irish supporters from all over Ireland, I have never met one supporter who has ever referred to a 1932 agreement about flying the Union flag. That includes Ulster rugby supporters.

This is your position on the nine-counties Ulster flag:

The six-counties flag does not represent Northern Ireland nationalists nor the three Ulster counties in Ireland. Therefore, the nine-counties Ulster flag is used.

Having being at many AIL, professional club and international matches and spoken with Irish supporters from all over Ireland, I have never met one supporter who has ever referred to a 1932 agreement about flying the Union flag. That includes Ulster rugby supporters.

You are not comparing apples with apples.
    If you want to fly the four flags for each province at Ireland games, that’s reasonable. Not my preference, but reasonable
    But what happened at the World Cup was that the flag on one of the two countries which makes up the team was flown, and then also the flag of one province Ulster
    No flag representing the other country making up the team ie NI.
    I don’t know why you are not getting it.
    Do you believe it is unfair to fly the Roi flag but not the ni flag at games?

Re the agreement - so you accept it was made - that’s a start.
    Now do you accept my description of how it was rescinded ie a secret sectarian meeting of the catholic players unbeknown to the Protestant players?

• Advertisement

Firstly, the ROI is a football name. The correct name is Ireland. Some Ulster rugby supporters may wish to fly the NI flag but it does not represent Ulster rugby. Whether you like it or not, Ulster rugby represents nine-counties, including the six NI counites. The nine-counties Ulster flag therefore represents Ulster rugby.

The only one (including Ulster supporters) that i have ever heard going on about an agreement in 1932 is you. Nobody else that I have met cares a jot. The Ireland of 2021 is a different planet from the Ireland of 1932. Maybe Ulster Unionists should start looking to the future.

Firstly, the ROI is a football name. The correct name is Ireland. Some Ulster rugby supporters may wish to fly the NI flag but it does not represent Ulster rugby. Whether you like it or not, Ulster rugby represents nine-counties, including the six NI counites. The nine-counties Ulster flag therefore represents Ulster rugby.

The only one (including Ulster supporters) that i have ever heard going on about an agreement in 1932 is you. Nobody else that I have met cares a jot. The Ireland of 2021 is a different planet from the Ireland of 1932. Maybe Ulster Unionists should start looking to the future.

Seems you have a bit to travel then to catch up with the rest of us.
    You seem to think it is appropriate to fly the flag of only one of the countries which make up the team. Well actually you won’t answer that question.
    The whole Ulster thing is a red herring

Seems you have a bit to travel then to catch up with the rest of us.
    You seem to think it is appropriate to fly the flag of only one of the countries which make up the team. Well actually you won’t answer that question.
    The whole Ulster thing is a red herring
    The rest of us? Who is that?

The reality is that Ulster rugby has moved on and has left those with your perspective behind.

The players, club members and supporters all seem to get along just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

NI isn't a country and doesn't have a flag so I'm not sure what flag DC suggests should be flown to represent the six counties.

The rest of us? Who is that?

The reality is that Ulster rugby has moved on and has left those with your perspective behind.

The players, club members and supporters all seem to get along just fine.

So has ni in general.
    You shifted the discussion away from all island teams to provincial irrelevant stuff and like Lucy you refuse to answer any questions, so you have successfully wore me down.

NI isn't a country and doesn't have a flag so I'm not sure what flag DC suggests should be flown to represent the six counties.

If you want to play silly buggers, then just the agreement to fly our official union flag at alternative games would be fine.
    But I don’t follow rugby and don’t actually care. You have just reinforced for me my understanding of what would happen if there was ever an all island two-country football team

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

If you want to play silly buggers, then just the agreement to fly our official union flag

'Our' being Unionists. What about Nationalists from the north? What about the non-Unionist majority? How many people identify as British now? 30%?
    You have just reinforced for me my understanding of what would happen if there was ever an all island two-country football team

Again NI isn't a country and doesn't have a flag. Go and agree on a flag that represents everyone in the north and then you'll have a credible request to have it flown.

There we go now. I was lambasted for suggesting roi only approached young catholics to poach. I even pointed out that they had mistakenly approached paddy McNair because they thought he y his name he was a catholic.

well Michael O’Neill, who has no reasons anymore to cosy up to OWC fans or misrepresent stuff, has came out and said similar.

In the documentary, due to be aired on Tuesday, Mr O’Neill says: “The FAI have a right to choose any player, but they only approach one side of the community to play.

so yet again we see that large numbers posting against a poster does not mean they are right and the minority view is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ah come on Downcow. There would be no point in the FAI approaching players from non nationalist backgrounds. Would it make you happier if they did ?

There seems to be no point in them approaching anyone outside Derry, so on that basis why do they approach nationalists across ni?

My point anyhow was in response to posters claiming ifa was sectarian and fai was not. I was pointing out ifa work very hard to achieve a cross community team while fai only go after one community.

nationalist Michael O’Neil has now publicly confirmed that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Eh, Michael O'Neill hasn't confirmed anything at all. All he's done is give his opinion on the matter, which may be correct or incorrect. Only someone who works/worked in the FAI in the 'turn NI players' department would be in a position to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It would be a nice idea but I have a strong feeling the cavemen in the Britophile community would ruin it with their bigotry.

Micheal O’Neill managed all the players and had to speak to the ones that fai were trying to tempt away. He knows exactly which players were approached

It always comes back to the flegs. Something, something Eddie Izzard, something something, symbol-minded.

We both have to compromise to remove the symbols that embolden bigotry and supremacist tendencies from all traditions.

In this enligtened spirit of unity, I propose a flag with two sides, to be rotated on a yearly basis. On one side, set against a white background there should be a T-Rex with a giant snake in its mouth, blood spatter all over the gaff, to represent Ireland's pre-Christian origins. We can use the Mexican flag for inspiration here - a nice touch, I think, that would cause much merriment in the Unionist community.

On the other side, set against a green background, a golden harp with the words "Kiss Me, I'm Irish," on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Dinosaurs?! And risk offending the Young Earth crowd in the DUP?! You must be mad!

Don't blow my cover, I think they're buying it :D

Thankfully we have much more than two sides to consider. All the newcomers to OWC are bringing a rich addition

Advertisement