Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two nations one team!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

On the other hand, the FAI debts are probably about equal to the Westminster subvention to NI, so at least it would be an equal partnership :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

downcow wrote: »
    Referencing the British Lions is very different. The key difference is that the British Lions is a true team and does not affect the continuation of any of the national teams

I am not sure Fionn if you just follow me around to misquote me. Where did I overblown the success of the Northern Ireland team??

You'll notice I quite clearly said I didn't support the amalgamation of the two teams. I used the British and Irish Lions as an example to demonstrate that the concept of a team representing all the nations of these islands isn't as ridiculous as you were suggesting, and in fact does exist in another sport. Quite what you mean by a, 'true team' I think you'll have to explain further.

As for, 'following you around'... ah cop on! We have discussed the NI team on previous threads though. You seem to think the RoI team is in horrendous shape and the NI team looking much better; I was just pointing out that despite RoI being in an awful slump recently and NI enjoying a period of success relative to their historic performances, NI are still currently ranked several places below the horrendous failure that is RoI soccer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Can we not merge with the English team?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

begbysback wrote: »
    Can we not merge with the English team?

James McClean approves.

KungPao wrote: »
    James McClean approves.

Tbf jamesey boy is at the end of his career, and sure we’re practically half English anyways

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

George Best was famously in favour of one Ireland team competing internationally because it was common sense that this team would have a larger pool of players to pick from.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,283 ✭✭✭✭walshb

OP, your post seems full of glee at Ireland’s recent poor form..

I think you’re right, a joining of the two would be a step too far for some!

walshb wrote: »
    OP, your post seems full of glee at Ireland’s recent poor form..

I think you’re right, a joining of the two would be a step too far for some!

I guess it’s partially to do with the notion that league of Ireland players and managers would be successful if they moved up the grade. I think with the current managers shortcomings realised, and with Brian kerrs terrible record it has solidly been prove that the gulf in class is enormous, and those who pretty much stated this before have been vindicated.

Nothing wrong with a victory lap here

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

another nation ... two nations

The North isn't a nation.

begbysback wrote: »
    I guess it’s partially to do with the notion that league of Ireland players and managers would be successful if they moved up the grade. I think with the current managers shortcomings realised, and with Brian kerrs terrible record it has solidly been prove that the gulf in class is enormous, and those who pretty much stated this before have been vindicated.

Nothing wrong with a victory lap here

Was Brian Kerr's record terrible?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I was just quoting the TDs reported in the article. They referred to NI as a nation, so you may take that up with your politicians

I’d rather no team than a joint one.

Easy enough to understand. If 90% of Northern Ireland supporters won’t support this all Ireland team why would the IFA agree to it? This is all pie on the sky.

Yeah. Sorry misunderstood you.
    ..and another problem would be that I don’t think our fans would tolerate a game against Qatar no matter what money they offered.
    We have a few principals left.

Yeah. Sorry misunderstood you.
    ..and another problem would be that I don’t think our fans would tolerate a game against Qatar no matter what money they offered.
    We have a few principals left.

If you were drawn in the same group then you’d be playing them the same as we are, you weren’t so it’s easy to do the big talk. Don’t kid yourself or try to kid anyone else.

If you were drawn in the same group then you’d be playing them the same as we are, you weren’t so it’s easy to do the big talk. Don’t kid yourself or try to kid anyone else.

Ah. I take back what I said. I thought it was a friendly. Apologies my mistake.
    We would no doubt also have to play them if pitched competitively against them.

Ah. I take back what I said. I thought it was a friendly. Apologies my mistake.

Naw, you're actually right on this one, Downcow. It is a friendly.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Naw, you're actually right on this one, Downcow. It is a friendly.

It’s a friendly that has to be played because Qatar have been drawn in the group to play everyone in it. Whoever was drawn in their group has to play the friendlies against them, so no they’re not right. Not in the implication they were making anyway.

If NI had been drawn in this group then they’d be playing Qatar the very same as Ireland are now.

It’s a friendly that has to be played because Qatar have been drawn in the group to play everyone in it. Whoever was drawn in their group has to play the friendlies against them, so no they’re not right. Not in the implication they were making anyway.

If NI had been drawn in this group then they’d be playing Qatar the very same as Ireland are now.

I was referring to tonight's game being a friendly, didn't pass much heed to any insinuations in fairness.....unusual for my interactions with Downcow that, I'm usually the first to call it out.

That being said, anyone playing in the qualifiers with the intention of going to play in the World Cup in Qatar doesn't have much of a moral high ground there anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

cdeb wrote: »
    John Delaney, coaching in Ireland, and people's insistence on supporting foreign leagues over the domestic league are far bigger issues.

This fella knows the story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Northern Ireland were officially recognized as Ireland by FIFA in sone competions up until 1984. The IFA can also claim direct continuation from the original pre partition association.
    So it would be more a case of the nordies letting us back in.

🙈🙉🙊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

No piece of territory is a nation. The island of Ireland isn't a nation, neither are the 26 counties.

Nations are made up of people, not territory. That is one of the lessons that too many Irishmen have failed to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

blanch152 wrote: »
    The island of Ireland isn't a nation, neither are the 26 counties.

Ireland is the home of the Irish Nation. It's even in our constitution, maybe you should familiarise yourself with it.
    Article 2

It is the entitlement and birthright of every person born in the island of Ireland, which includes its islands and seas, to be part of the Irish Nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It's gas, for years and years, any time this would come up it was a case of "yeah, but how many NI players would actually get into the RoI team? One or two, maybe". Different story now. It's only 10 years ago we mauled them 5-0 in the Nations Cup (not that it mattered a ****e)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Northern Ireland were officially recognized as Ireland by FIFA in sone competions up until 1984. The IFA can also claim direct continuation from the original pre partition association.
    So it would be more a case of the nordies letting us back in.

They weren't recognised by FIFA as such - FIFA ruled on that after two Irelands, often using the same players, entered 1950 qualifying. Neither country is officially Ireland as (a) Northern Ireland clearly wasn't Ireland any more, and (b) they had dibs on the term, so we had to make up the name "Republic of Ireland" for ourselves, though there's no such country.

The North still called themselves Ireland on occasion, most recently in 1978 afaik. The media here called them the Six County FA during this time.

But yes, we did split from them and in theory a United Irish team should be based in Belfast. Not sure there's any particular problem with that really

Rangers didn’t ask to get joining Celtic five years ago, nor did Man City ask to join united during the barren years. Scotland and Wales didn’t even ask to join England when the could achieve nothing, and not only are they on the same small island but they are recognised by the UN as the same nation state.
    So getting back to the op, it certainly is all three ie offensive, laughable but most of all just plain sad.
    I think you should have the courage and pride to plough your own furrow.

I am though very encouraged by the attitude of most of the posters.

We (ni team and fans) had/have two little mottos worth considering
    In the tough times, ‘Keep believing’
    And in the better times, ‘Onwards and upwards’

We need to go back to FIFA about the name at this stage. We're Ireland, they're not.

Rangers didn’t ask to get joining Celtic five years ago, nor did Man City ask to join united during the barren years. Scotland and Wales didn’t even ask to join England when the could achieve nothing, and not only are they on the same small island but they are recognised by the UN as the same nation state.

I don't think those examples are really comparable though? FAI split from IFA so they were originally the same Association and for a while both competed as Ireland and in some cases picked the same players.

Not aware of Celtic and Rangers having split at some stage but would be happy to be corrected?

mehico wrote: »
    I don't think those examples are really comparable though? FAI split from IFA so they were originally the same Association and for a while both competed as Ireland and in some cases picked the same players.

Not aware of Celtic and Rangers having split at some stage but would be happy to be corrected?

So what? The Soviet Union Football Federation split into entities such as the Ukraine Football Association and the Football Federation of Belarus amongst others. Do you want all of those to join up and play together under Moscow again too?

So what? The Soviet Union Football Federation split into entities such as the Ukraine Football Association and the Football Federation of Belarus amongst others. Do you want all of those to join up and play together under Moscow again too?

Your example of the football teams of the former Soviet Republics merging is a better one but I don't know if there are similar discussions in that region to those taking place around Irish football?

• Advertisement

mehico wrote: »
    Your example of the football teams of the former Soviet Republics merging is a better one but I don't know if there are similar discussions in that region to those taking place around Irish football?

I don't know if there are those conversations going on in relation to Irish football among any circles that actually care about either soccer team, or anyone who would/could be part of actually floating it in a meaningful way.....thankfully.

Advertisement