Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two nations one team!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

begbysback wrote: »
    The loi standard is crap, it will always be crap when the best players go to England, it’s made up of decent Sunday league players and that’s the way it always will be, forget loi standard increasing, it won’t.

You want a solution? Get in a manger that will entice the eligible good players to play for Ireland. Nobody would heed the call of a Stephen kenny call, so he’s left with what he has, it’s harsh but that’s the reality.
    The people who say LOI is crap dont watch it certainly not on a regular basis.
    The level of the best teams is far from crap.
    Just getting in a name as manager who might entice some of the best players eligible to play for ireland to turn out in green isnt the solution at all and does nothing to solve most of the issues around the irish set up from underage up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,849 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I have a solution. You know the way they have an Irish representative side for the shinty international but they select players from the weaker counties.

Well there might be a few messers around the edges of weaker county panels who could be convinced to lower themselves to playing a few games of soccerball in the green shirt. A few lads that only make the benches for the O'Byrne cup for Longford or Wicklow or that. Maybe they could wear disguises or be given fake identities for the games so that nobody would recognise them and they could pick up the soccerball basics and be parachuted onto the Irish team.

Don't get your knickers in a twist ........ I'm joking ...... a bit ...... I mean I don't think even the Longord fellas would bother with it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

downcow wrote: »
    Now you're going to tell me I wasn't sitting behind him. Why am I not surprised by that given what you have said about him?

Of course you know it would be difficult to evidence but I think I could make a good stab at it. I have missed one competitive home game in Windsor Park since 1979. I have sat in the same seat in the North stand since it was built - so I could post my season ticket and you could research it and find out it is right behind the dugout. But why would we bother?
    Do you think anyone cares where you or anyone of that mob were sitting that night? Unless you were asleep or drunk you would have seen Binghmams antics that night. If not just look it up. I'm afraid the mask slipped on Billy that night and the supporters that you seem proud to be a part of showed themselves to be racists and bigots. But then we all knew that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The loi standard is crap, it will always be crap when the best players go to England, it’s made up of decent Sunday league players and that’s the way it always will be, forget loi standard increasing, it won’t.

You want a solution? Get in a manger that will entice the eligible good players to play for Ireland. Nobody would heed the call of a Stephen kenny call, so he’s left with what he has, it’s harsh but that’s the reality.

God forbid we try to develop our own talent.
    We want all of the glory but none of the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭trashcan

dan1895 wrote: »

This is the real problem. Let’s just persuade a big name English manager and some second/third generation English players to declare for us, and off we go again. Ole, ole, ole. Putting some effort in and actually going to games is just so damn hard isn’t it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭mehico

Do you think anyone cares where you or anyone of that mob were sitting that night? Unless you were asleep or drunk you would have seen Binghmams antics that night. If not just look it up. I'm afraid the mask slipped on Billy that night and the supporters that you seem proud to be a part of showed themselves to be racists and bigots. But then we all knew that anyway.

I think Billy Bingham needs to be given the benefit of the doubt on this occasion. It was clear he was trying to encourage the home crowd to get behind the NI team but I very much doubt he was specifically directing or encouraging the sectarian or racist chanting and abuse of the ROI players that was going on that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

dan1895 wrote: »

And who is going to develop them? We would have to import people with the appropriate skills because such people don’t currently exist in this country.

The idea that we are going to be all organic when we are neighbours with one of the most successful club football nations in the world is a pipe dream.

There is a process which has to start with a successful national team first, then more kids will take up football, only then can they be schooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

mehico wrote: »
    I think Billy Bingham needs to be given the benefit of the doubt on this occasion. It was clear he was trying to encourage the home crowd to get behind the NI team but I very much doubt he was specifically directing or encouraging the sectarian or racist chanting and abuse of the ROI players that was going on that night.

So then why were the IFA called before Fifa to explain his actions on the night?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

And who is going to develop them? We would have to import people with the appropriate skills because such people don’t currently exist in this country.

The idea that we are going to be all organic when we are neighbours with one of the most successful club football nations in the world is a pipe dream.

There is a process which has to start with a successful national team first, then more kids will take up football, only then can they be schooled.

That's the complete wrong way around - as shown by the fact that we had a successful national team, but awful coaching of the next generation has seen us drift back to also-rans.

You always start at the bottom, not the top. Get coaches on training courses - you don't need to import anyone.

Sack anyone in junior football who thinks the Spanish don't know what they're talking about and we don't need their contrary ways here.

Support the LoI so players have an option to stay here rather than leave for England at 16 (where most will fail and will have only the most basic Leaving Cert equivalent)

Then you'll start to see a stronger league, better transfer fees, and all leading towards a stronger national team.

Almost every other country in Europe does it that way, even the ones where the Premier League is popular

Like, how can starting with the national team and working down make any sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

cdeb wrote: »
    That's the complete wrong way around - as shown by the fact that we had a successful national team, but awful coaching of the next generation has seen us drift back to also-rans.

You always start at the bottom, not the top. Get coaches on training courses - you don't need to import anyone.

Sack anyone in junior football who thinks the Spanish don't know what they're talking about and we don't need their contrary ways here.

Support the LoI so players have an option to stay here rather than leave for England at 16 (where most will fail and will have only the most basic Leaving Cert equivalent)

Then you'll start to see a stronger league, better transfer fees, and all leading towards a stronger national team.

Almost every other country in Europe does it that way, even the ones where the Premier League is popular

Like, how can starting with the national team and working down make any sense?

I don’t make up the rules, that’s the way it’s always been, the most successful underage Ireland team was inspired by Jack Charlton era of success, it wasn’t down to Brian Kerr as a great manager.

Forget about loi, any successful Ireland international youth will go to England , that’s the reality.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

The schoolboys aren't going to England any more. That's the problem. The coaching here is decades out of touch and it's why our national team is so weak now.

You're suggesting we somehow polish our turd of a team into something that'll inspire a generation of juniors so we can coach them badly and hope by fluke they make it in England, in a league that increasingly doesn't want our junior players. How is that supposed to work?

I'm suggesting we do what practically every other country in Europe does, which is what's allowing them all pass us out. So that clearly does work.

"That's the way it's always been" is the exact bull**** attitude that's holding football back in this country. It's what blinds people to the fact that the way it's always been isn't the way things work today. Or for the past 20+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,998 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'll tell you what - the North aren't going to be qualifying for this coming World cup either. They're in a group with Italy and Switzerland, and have a return of one point from 2 games. It's hardly like any NI fan can really talk as if they're kicking on while the Republic is struggling. Both teams are playing badly. The North got relegated from their Nations League group as well. The Republic just got beaten by the mighty Luxembourg. Both teams are hurtling downhill, and Irish football will be united. United in being sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ireland-too-small-for-two-soccer-teams-and-should-be-all-island-side-ff-senator-1.4522867

Is this the ‘go to position’ every time the ROI football team have a particularly bad run? I can’t really decide whether it is, offensive, laughable, or just plain sad.

From my perspective, the most absurd quote I have heard in a long time is in this article.

Seanad leader Regina Doherty agreed that “it is something we should be talking about”. She told Senators it “probably should be less contentious” than some of the other topics in the Government’s Shared Island initiative

Although this quote in the same article, gives it a very close run.
    Mr Gallagher said “the reality is that for two small nations like Northern Ireland and the Republic to have two soccer teams on a small island, one island and expect them to compete at international level is simply not on anymore”

I have to disagree strongly with Regina Doherty. As a Unionist, but more importantly a Northern Ireland football supporter, her suggestion that this may be ‘less contentious’ is absurd. I wonder with Regina Doherty find it fairly uncontentious if England set about creating a British isles team to replace the five nations teams.

And I am genuinely interested, is it embarrassing as a ROI football fan when your politicians ask to get joining with another nation every time your team plays crap?

I am also interested is there any other teams in the world that is made up of two nations?

This reminds me a little of when ROI pled to have an additional (33rd) place created at the World Cup because Henri had scored by handling the ball and knocking ROI out. Your team is still affectionately known by Northern Ireland supporters to this day as ‘Team 33’

How many Euros and World Cups have NI won?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Haven’t been to Windsor in over 20 years, before that I’d kind of forget and go ever five or six years or so. Always a hateful place. Fans used to be the absolute pits. Would say it has improved a bit though, but Catholics turned their back on NI long ago, the ROI is their international team, has been great to see Duffy and McClean making their mark.

Haven’t been to Windsor in over 20 years, before that I’d kind of forget and go ever five or six years or so. Always a hateful place. Fans used to be the absolute pits. Would say it has improved a bit though, but Catholics turned their back on NI long ago, the ROI is their international team, has been great to see Duffy and McClean making their mark.

They've made strides toward inclusivity, but having GSTQ as their team's anthem isn't helping anything. Wales have their own anthem, and Scotland have their own anthem and England have their own as well. About time the North's team did the same.

ulster wrote: »

None. Meanwhile, between the two sides, RoI still has the most recent taste of silverware on its lips.

00049eda-500.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

briany wrote: »
    They've made strides toward inclusivity, but having GSTQ as their team's anthem isn't helping anything. Wales have their own anthem, and Scotland have their own anthem and England have their own as well. About time the North's team did the same.

Can’t imagine the faithful NInbrethren would like that!!:) Although the fans might get accept the Sash!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

briany wrote: »

Don't NI use Danny Boy/Derry Aire for the Commonwealth Games ?

Not exactly rousing but neutral at least

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Don't NI use Danny Boy/Derry Aire for the Commonwealth Games ?

Not exactly rousing but neutral at least

The tune that song is based on is called 'Londonderry Air', which might possibly put it out of the running because of that whole (London)Derry thing, but also the song itself has become really associated with 'oirishness', which might upset those from the other side of the peace wall. I've heard this song being pitched as an anthem, but between the points I've made and wondering how the song even really sums up NI, I don't think it'll be adopted any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

I find it hard to believe you are a genuine sports fan if you think the whole idea is just to get the biggest group of united countries together to achieve success.
    This is madness. Spain and Portugal would make some team if they were unitised. And I guess you would like a british lions team and just do away with the five nation teams based on the british isles?

There is no British lions team. Just like there is no United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland.

When half the football talent (available for selection for N.I.) elect to not to play for "N.I." , it suggests that maybe George Best was on to something that was coming down the line.

• Advertisement

George was brilliant on the pitch, but he said and done a few rare things off the pitch. You maybe should have watched some of his appearances on chat shows before quoting him as your words of wisdom lol.
    O wait I understand, there is only him and derek dougan to wheel out as supporters of your position out of the hundreds who have played for ni. Ask capt Stevie D or the last games capt big Kyle and see what they think lol

Whatever George said/did in his life... it seems he was esteemed enough to have an airport named after him in Belfast. Why should his ideas on a footballing matter not be more esteemed?

He was not a pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

It is one nation with two football teams at the moment Regina.

UEFA probably wont let it happen so not much piont in perusing it.

The rugby side is supported by the irish nation even in the North. But rugby fans typically are more educated and realise they're all Irish.

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It is one nation with two football teams at the moment Regina.

UEFA probably wont let it happen so not much piont in perusing it.

The rugby side is supported by the irish nation even in the North. But rugby fans typically are more educated and realise they're all Irish.

That is the biggest load of rubbish posted here yet. International scorer isn’t done in some flowery notion of make believe “nations” - two separate states, two separate teams. The same as it’s done the world over.
    Also, rugby is an extremely loyalist game in Northern Ireland, most of their players are about as Irish as their queen. It’s an IRFU representative side rather than a proper national team. Either they really shouldn’t be allowed use the name Ireland or the loyalist NI players should be lining out for Scotland and let the Ireland name mean something.

That is the biggest load of rubbish posted here yet. International scorer isn’t done in some flowery notion of make believe “nations” - two separate states, two separate teams. The same as it’s done the world over.
    Also, rugby is an extremely loyalist game in Northern Ireland, most of their players are about as Irish as their queen. It’s an IRFU representative side rather than a proper national team. Either they really shouldn’t be allowed use the name Ireland or the loyalist NI players should be lining out for Scotland and let the Ireland name mean something.

Loyalists tend to be from working class areas. As far as sports go ,Football would be number one on the agenda, like their counterparts in nationalist areas.

Both sides would also enjoy other sports. Rugby ain't a "loyalist" sport no more than it is a "nationalist" sport. It is just a sport.

If you ever want to organise an inter community (working class) kick-about in Belfast, ask the kids in both communities "what sport should we choose"?

It won't be Rugby or G.A.A. !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

I was addressing another of your claims that have no bearing on fact ie that I wasn’t there.
    Give us a little more explanation of ‘Bingham’s antics’ and a wee shrewd of evidence.
    I can give you plenty on you beloved team and supporters antics on the lead up and on the night.

/QUOTE]

Really then how come England Scotland and Wales have football teams. None of these are countries they're nations.

As said before as the FA is older than UEFA they never forced the UK into having one international football team. Perhaps they should. Seems unfair they can break the one sovereign country into four sides that compete against actual countries.

I was addressing another of your claims that have no bearing on fact ie that I wasn’t there.

I can give you plenty on you beloved team and supporters antics on the lead up and on the night.

Tell us about the supporters of Jacks team on that night in Windsor park! I'd love to hear tell about it.

ulster wrote: »

Strange question.
    I have never once said anything about ni being more successful than Roi, but it seems several posters wish I had.

The question sort of demonstrates the delusional thinking of some Roi fans.
    Ni fans know we will never win a World Cup or euro. If that’s what you are in football for then it’s no wonder you spend your life disappointed.
    Ni have spent most of the last 50 years as number 1 in the world per capita. That is an amazing record, combined with producing what many would regard as the most naturally talented player ever in the world. A lot of very small countries have starting competing in recent years to knock us down to 8th, but when it is restricted to countries with population over 1 million then we still reign supreme.
    We are also current British Champions.
    Not bad for OWC.
    Also endless awards for the fans and a reputation across Europe for friendliness https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_and_White_Army OWC fans are very happy with their teams achievements- onwards and upwards!

• Advertisement

The arrogance of speaking for all Catholics - and more importantly it’s nonsense. Do I even need to bother evidencing this one

Advertisement