Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two nations one team!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,626 ✭✭✭✭downcow

briany wrote: »
    They've made strides toward inclusivity, but having GSTQ as their team's anthem isn't helping anything. Wales have their own anthem, and Scotland have their own anthem and England have their own as well. About time the North's team did the same.

I agree with you on this. A poll on the main ni fans forum showed that over 80% of ni fans agree with you. The problem is the grey suits don’t have the balls to change it.
    It is exactly the same problem as the ireland rugby team creating a chill factor for unionists by playing the soldiers song.
    NI football desperately need a new rousing NI anthem

Lucy8080 wrote: »
    There is no British lions team. Just like there is no United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland.

When half the football talent (available for selection for N.I.) elect to not to play for "N.I." , it suggests that maybe George Best was on to something that was coming down the line.

I wasn’t saying there was a british lions team, I was simply extending the logic of your argument.

.....and then more nonsense from you. Half the Catholic players?
    You just make stiff up when you are losing your argument.
    Can you give me a wee list of the players outside derry (who are a special case as their local team plays in loi) who have decided not to play for NI?
    And don’t just ignore this question as these lies need nailed - this is like the claims about billy Bingham, except we can get a definitive answer to this one. I’m not sure you will get a single one this century, but you may surprise me?

If you want a list of the falls road and Celtic players currently involved in the OWC team I’d be happy to oblige

Sad that peoples bigotry and hate for all things Northern Irish drags the discussion down to this - but lies need challenged

Whatever George said/did in his life... it seems he was esteemed enough to have an airport named after him in Belfast. Why should his ideas on a footballing matter not be more esteemed?

He was not a pilot.

He was a footballer who moved to live in England when he was 16. Just think about what you are saying?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

downcow wrote: »
    I wasn’t saying there was a british lions team, I was simply extending the logic of your argument.

.....and then more nonsense from you. Half the Catholic players?
    Can you give me a wee list of the players outside derry (who are a special case as their local team plays in loi) who have decided not to play for NI?
    And don’t just ignore this question as these lies need nailed - this is like the claims about billy Bingham, except we can get a definitive answer to this one. I’m not sure you will get a single one this century, but you may surprise me?

If you want a list of the falls road and Celtic players currently involved in the OWC team I’d be happy to oblige

Sad that peoples bigotry and hate for all things Northern Irish drags the discussion down to this - but lies need challenged

I never mentioned the word "Catholic" in the post you have quoted. If you don't believe me ,have a look for yourself. You are projecting again and using words like "bigotry" when there is no bigotry in even the post you are qouting.

Odd ,when one ponders on such, don't you think?

How did you manage to see the word "catholic" in a post that did not have that word?

ittakestwo wrote: »
    It is one nation with two football teams at the moment Regina.

UEFA probably wont let it happen so not much piont in perusing it.

The rugby side is supported by the irish nation even in the North. But rugby fans typically are more educated and realise they're all Irish.
    Haha. You should get an award for this post. I’m just not sure what we should call the award lol

• Advertisement

That is the biggest load of rubbish posted here yet. International scorer isn’t done in some flowery notion of make believe “nations” - two separate states, two separate teams. The same as it’s done the world over.
    Also, rugby is an extremely loyalist game in Northern Ireland, most of their players are about as Irish as their queen. It’s an IRFU representative side rather than a proper national team. Either they really shouldn’t be allowed use the name Ireland or the loyalist NI players should be lining out for Scotland and let the Ireland name mean something.

Great post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Sad that peoples bigotry and hate for all things Northern Irish drags the discussion down to this

Nearly everyone in the south has no problem with an all Ireland football side and would get behind all the irish players even ones from the north. But as you said you and many unionists could not support such a side and would have to find another team to support. That is bigotry and hate.

I never mentioned the word "Catholic" in the post you have quoted. If you don't believe me ,have a look for yourself. You are projecting again and using words like "bigotry" when there is no bigotry in even the post you are qouting.

Odd ,when one ponders on such, don't you think?

A very poor deflection there Lucy, but how clumsy of me. I’ll ask you again in the next post with the correction. I wouldn’t like you to no answer

A very poor deflection there Lucy, but how clumsy of me. I’ll ask you again in the next post with the correction. I wouldn’t like you to no answer

Deflection? It's observation.

There is no British lions team. Just like there is no United Kingdom of Britain and Ireland.

When half the football talent (available for selection for N.I.) elect to not to play for "N.I." , it suggests that maybe George Best was on to something that was coming down the line.

and then more nonsense from you. Half the Football talent choose to play for ROI?

• Advertisement

Nearly everyone in the south has no problem with an all Ireland football side and would get behind all the irish players even ones from the north. But as you said you and many unionists could not support such a side and would have to find another team to support. That is bigotry and hate.
    This has to be the most ironic post I have ever read

and then more nonsense from you. Half the Football talent chose to play for ROI?

We have moved on from "Catholic" eh, I guess that is progress!

Now tell us (as you said you would earlier) about that night in Windsor Park 1993 and supporters of Jacks team.

What was the ticket allocation? What part of the ground did they have? How much trouble did they cause?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,406 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That is the biggest load of rubbish posted here yet. International scorer isn’t done in some flowery notion of make believe “nations” - two separate states, two separate teams. The same as it’s done the world over.
    Also, rugby is an extremely loyalist game in Northern Ireland, most of their players are about as Irish as their queen. It’s an IRFU representative side rather than a proper national team. Either they really shouldn’t be allowed use the name Ireland or the loyalist NI players should be lining out for Scotland and let the Ireland name mean something.

Actually soccer is done in the flowery notion of make believe nations.
    NI along with England, Scotland and Wales should be one team at international level

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Every other team sport in Ireland is on an all Island basis. Soccer is the odd one in the room.

And this situation has less to do with the nations themselves and more to do with the legacy of a power struggle between two rival groups of administrators.

This has to be the most ironic post I have ever read

So if ROI fans and players dont mind the merging of the football team but the NI fans and players do mind the merging. Which fans and players are being bigotry?

He was a footballer who moved to live in England when he was 16. Just think about what you are saying?

He was a footballer who espoused an All-Island team. You dismissed his idea because of other issues he may have had in his life. You even threw in a couple of "lols" at his expense.

It's okay to name an airport after him but ignore him when it comes to his football expertise/opinions?

Just think about what you are saying?

We have moved on from "Catholic" eh, I guess that is progress!

Now tell us (as you said you would earlier) about that night in Windsor Park 1993 and supporters of Jacks team.

What was the ticket allocation? What part of the ground did they have? How much trouble did they cause?

You are deflecting again. Why not answer the question or else admit it is not true.
    Here it is again.

“ Half the Football talent choose to play for ROI?
    And don’t just ignore this question as these lies need nailed - this is like the claims about billy Bingham, except we can get a definitive answer to this one. I’m not sure you will get a single one this century, but you may surprise me?”

lawred2 wrote: »
    Every other team sport in Ireland is on an all Island basis. Soccer is the odd one in the room.

And this situation has less to do with the nations themselves and more to do with the legacy of a power struggle between two rival groups of administrators.

Afraid this is not accurate either. I haven’t checked others but I have a friend played for the NI netball team

So if ROI fans and players dont mind the merging of the football team but the NI fans and players do mind the merging. Which fans and players are being bigotry?

Would Roi fans be happy with merging into a british isles team? And if not would they be bigots? Of course they wouldn’t. This is just silly stuff now.

You are deflecting again. Why not answer the question or else admit it is not true.
    Here it is again.

“ Half the Football talent choose to play for ROI?
    And don’t just ignore this question as these lies need nailed - this is like the claims about billy Bingham, except we can get a definitive answer to this one. I’m not sure you will get a single one this century, but you may surprise me?”

You are re-quoting your own post ( for the third time), wanna have a go again and acknowledge that I did not say " half the football talent choose to play for R.O.I." ? there is a subtle difference.

Maybe along the way, explain to the readers why you have had to have a few goes at altering your own post!

• Advertisement

He was a footballer who espoused an All-Island team. You dismissed his idea because of other issues he may have had in his life. You even threw in a couple of "lols" at his expense.

It's okay to name an airport after him but ignore him when it comes to his football expertise/opinions?

Just think about what you are saying?

No lol at his expense. He was a genius on the pitch who I adore. He said and done some questionable things off the pitch.
    He was probably our best ever player but certainly not in the role model league of stevie Davis etc.
    I wouldn’t agree with his views on the treatment of women or his view on an all island team.

You are re-quoting your own post ( for the third time), wanna have a go again and acknowledge that I did not say " half the football talent choose to play for R.O.I." ? there is a subtle difference.

Maybe along the way, explain to the readers why you have had to have a few goes at altering your own post!

Ok. I’ll be patient with you and try again. This time same question but I have cut and pasted your quote so ss the can be no mistakes.

....and more nonsense from you
    “When half the football talent (available for selection for N.I.) elect to not to play for "N.I."”

You just make stuff up when you are losing your argument.

No lol at his expense. He was a genius on the pitch who I adore. He said and done some questionable things off the pitch.
    He was probably our best ever player but certainly not in the role model league of stevie Davis etc.
    I wouldn’t agree with his views on the treatment of women or his view on an all island team.

Those "lols" were just a coincidence and nothing to do with George who is a genius except when he happens to talk football and espouse an All -Island team.

Outside football , "he said and done some questionable things off the pitch".

Solution= name an airport after him, ignore him on football!

Okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Afraid this is not accurate either. I haven’t checked others but I have a friend played for the NI netball team

We don't play netball though

Those "lols" were just a coincidence and nothing to do with George who is a genius except when he happens to talk football and espouse an All -Island team.

Outside football , "he said and done some questionable things off the pitch".

Solution= name an airport after him, ignore him on football!

Okay!

I like the guy but I would rather have an airport named after the most capped british player ever and I’d rather follow his view on a unified island two-countries team.

Now can you give me a few of the the names you based your assertion on half of the talent choosing not to play for ni?

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    We don't play netball though

Who is ‘we’?

I see the Roi netball team has came 10th in the world. Better than their football team https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland_national_netball_team

Still interested who ‘we’ is?

Would Roi fans be happy with merging into a british isles team? And if not would they be bigots? Of course they wouldn’t. This is just silly stuff now.

There is a team for the British isles rugby side...the British and Irish lions and rugby fans get behind the team.

In football the UK is allowed to split into different regions none of which are sovereign countries. If the south had not left the union you we be supporting an all Ireland football team today. Do you agree?

It seems very much bigotry by some untionist to nationalists is why they wont merge the football side.

Ok. I’ll be patient with you and try again. This time same question but I have cut and pasted your quote so ss the can be no mistakes.

....and more nonsense from you
    “When half the football talent (available for selection for N.I.) elect to not to play for "N.I."”

You just make stuff up when you are losing your argument.

Well, thanks for your patience !How many times have you had to change that post?

Tell ya what, point out "the bigotry and hate for all things Northern Irish" if you have some patience left!

We will pretend that we didn't see you accuse folks of bigotry ,whilst using the word "catholic" when no poster mentioned either "Catholic or Protestant."

G'wan, have a fifth go at that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

You want to come out of the dark ages. You have such a skewed idea of Windsor

You are wrong.

• Advertisement

There is a team for the British isles rugby side...the British and Irish lions and rugby fans get behind the team.

In football the UK is allowed to split into different regions none of which are sovereign countries. If the south had not left the union you we be supporting an all Ireland football team today. Do you agree?

It seems very much bigotry by some untionist to nationalists is why they wont merge the football side.

Your point? In rugby on these islands no sovereign country competes either.
    Ironically the only in recognised state competing is Roi and you want to change that.
    If we go with us recognised states then we’d have two teams on these islands UK and Ireland (26 counties). I wouldn’t like it but much more preferable to joining two countries together

Advertisement