Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish stew suggestions

Options
  • 30-03-2021 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭

Making Fish stew with the below ingredients. What would improve it? Cream?

Cod
    Celery
    Shallots
    Chilli
    Beef stock (fish stock unavailable)
    Peeled plum tomatoes
    White wine
    Garlic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭dmc17

Making Fish stew with the below ingredients. What would improve it? Cream?

Cod
    Celery
    Shallots
    Chilli
    Beef stock (fish stock unavailable)
    Peeled plum tomatoes
    White wine
    Garlic

It the beef stock not a bit overpowering for a fish stew? I would've thought you substitute with veg or chicken stock.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,796 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I'd put some herbs in, like a handful of chopped parsley.

Chorizo and/or paprika would add a nice Spanish touch and compliment the tomatoes and wine already in there. Fresh lemon zest for finishing as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

irish_goat wrote: »
    I'd put some herbs in, like a handful of chopped parsley.

Chorizo and/or paprika would add a nice Spanish touch and compliment the tomatoes and wine already in there. Fresh lemon zest for finishing as well.

Sorry yeah I have parsley, forgot. Thanks for the other suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

dmc17 wrote: »
    It the beef stock not a bit overpowering for a fish stew? I would've thought you substitute with veg or chicken stock.

Ok maybe I will pickup veg stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've a recipe for a Spanish fish stew I make a lot ...

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/recipes/a485/spanish-stew-cod-chickpeas/

No stock used at all, and doesn't really need any. I often add a bit of cavolo nero or spinach at the end as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Alun wrote: »
    I've a recipe for a Spanish fish stew I make a lot ...

https://www.housebeautiful.com/uk/lifestyle/recipes/a485/spanish-stew-cod-chickpeas/

No stock used at all, and doesn't really need any. I often add a bit of cavolo nero or spinach at the end as well.

Nice simple recipe. I'm off out to get a bit of fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Here's a fish stew that Minder posted here.
    I really like this.

The Spanish love hake. Valentine Warner did this recipe in the first series of What to Eat Now. Not a curry, but spicy and delicious all the same.

Ingredients

Hake or grey mullet fillets, skinned and cut into chunks
    olive oil
    1 whole head of garlic, chopped in half
    bashed coriander seeds
    chopped onions
    thyme
    bay leaves
    oregano
    dried chilli
    chopped tomatoes
    juice of 1 orange
    white wine
    saffron
    chunks of potato
    chopped parsley

Instructions

Fry the garlic in some olive oil and add the coriander seeds, chopped onions, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, dried chilli and stir in some chopped tomatoes and the orange juice. Add some white wine and saffron and chunks of potato, season and cook until the spuds are ready and then add the fish fillets and
    cook for a futher 6 minutes, add a dash of olive oil and sprinkle with chopped parsley to serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Larry Bee

There is a lovely Moorish fish stew up in the Cooking Club here. https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057384359/1/#post94374327

Advertisement