Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jonsered 90 bar choice.

Options
  • 30-03-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

The boss at home is after digging out his mid 70's Jonsered 90 and has back it up and running. I was just wondering what modern bars would fit it and who makes the best models. I want something in the 30 inch range for the job we're going at.

Thanks for your time and any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Schwiiing wrote: »
    The boss at home is after digging out his mid 70's Jonsered 90 and has back it up and running. I was just wondering what modern bars would fit it and who makes the best models. I want something in the 30 inch range for the job we're going at.

Thanks for your time and any help appreciated.

According to this 23 ins is the max bar length, http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/3dd448b41ed30e4788256b69007dac1a?OpenDocument

Oregon bars probably the best place to look, is it a D009 mount? If you have an old bar try looking for numbers at the motor end of the bar.

Have a look on fb too
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/880666471945948/?multi_permalinks=4266833429995885

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

A 90cc machine would surely drive bigger than 23''?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Schwiiing wrote: »
    A 90cc machine would surely drive bigger than 23''?

It may not oil it, some of those older saws oiling systems were not much in the way of volume. It was only rated at 5hp so not a super powerful saw for the CC or weight.
    I don't think it will drive a 30" bar and chain with any authority unless you use skip chain, even then the oiling may be suspect.

Is it possible to still get spares for these old saws? The rubber bushings on the handles have given up and the saw is too difficult to use safely.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ebay is your best bet, or a Husky dealer might have parts as some Husky and Jonsered were basically the same saw.

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/303085699053?hash=item469150bfed:g:U5IAAOSwp5JWU8UD In California though. Try the same search in EU.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement

A 1970s Jonsered would not share parts with a Husky and parts would be hard to come by.

Run it without a bar until it is very hot to make sure the ignition is OK before investing money in the saw.

The saw is running perfectly. Feels much more powerful than a modern 90cc machine. Has been working with its original ~20 inch bar. We want a longer bar to fell a larger tree. All that is wrong is the 3 rubber mounts for the handle are worn and the handle is wobbly. I'm guessing my only hope is trying to find a donor saw.

Advertisement