Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Order refund rights?

Options
  • 30-03-2021 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭

I ordered from an online company approximately 50 days ago. I have been in contact with them and they have said I can only request a refund if over 75 days.

It now turns out the product has been stopped by customs in Ireland (HRPA) as it is a prescription medicine (it is available over the counter).

I have gone back to company, they will only offer store credit....is that legal? Should I not be allowed a refund?

Biovea is company in question despite .ie address they seems to be in USA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Do a charge back on card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Do a charge back on card.
    I used a revolut card I completed chargeback request already via them.
    Is there anything else I should do? Or will I just wait to see if money comes back?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

That's about it, will customs release it back to them?

That's about it, will customs release it back to them?
    Perfect.
    It says if no response in 28 days the product will be destroyed (letter is from Health Products Regulatory Authority) I have asked them via email to either release it or send it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Isn’t the buyer/importer responsible for any issues with customs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Surely if its a prescription medicine, thus illegal for you to order like this, you would be liable and not the sender?

Surprised you were allowed a chargeback.. You ordered illegal stuff, got caught and still got your money back. That's a deal!

Not judging but it's the seller who's losing out here unfairly...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭stronglikebull

gmisk wrote: »
    It now turns out the product has been stopped by customs in Ireland (HRPA) as it is a prescription medicine (it is available over the counter).

Is it prescription or an over the counter med? It can't be both. All prescription medicine sold over the Internet in Ireland is illegal. It will be detained and destroyed. Importing prescription drugs, even with a prescription for it, is illegal.

Some non-prescription medicines can be sold over the Internet here, but only if the seller is registered and displays the EU common logo for registered Internet suppliers of medicines.
    https://www.thepsi.ie/gns/Internet-Supply/Internet_supply_list_overview.aspx
    Biovea is company in question despite .ie address they seems to be in USA.

Biovea does not have a .ie website.

Biovea is also not registered to sell non-prescription medicine in Ireland, so any medicine sold by them (even non-prescription) will be confiscated.

The charge-back may fail if they respond to Revolut with the details of what you purchased. It would appear that this is your fault for ordering something that is illegal to do in this country. It wasn't illegal for them to sell it, nor for you to buy it, but was for you to import it. That's my take on it anyway.

Surely if its a prescription medicine, thus illegal for you to order like this, you would be liable and not the sender?

Surprised you were allowed a chargeback.. You ordered illegal stuff, got caught and still got your money back. That's a deal!

Not judging but it's the seller who's losing out here unfairly...
    It was regaine...it is available in Tesco....so definitely no prescription needed.
    I also confirmed with them there would be no issue with customs etc and they confirmed there wouldn't, I have it in an email

Is it prescription or an over the counter med? It can't be both. All prescription medicine sold over the Internet in Ireland is illegal. It will be detained and destroyed. Importing prescription drugs, even with a prescription for it, is illegal.

Some non-prescription medicines can be sold over the Internet here, but only if the seller is registered and displays the EU common logo for registered Internet suppliers of medicines.
    https://www.thepsi.ie/gns/Internet-Supply/Internet_supply_list_overview.aspx

Biovea does not have a .ie website.

Biovea is also not registered to sell non-prescription medicine in Ireland, so any medicine sold by them (even non-prescription) will be confiscated.

The charge-back may fail if they respond to Revolut with the details of what you purchased. It would appear that this is your fault for ordering something that is illegal to do in this country. It wasn't illegal for them to sell it, nor for you to buy it, but was for you to import it. That's my take on it anyway.

I meant Ireland website sorry not .ie

https://www.biovea.com/ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,578 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Did you read the t&cs?

Note:

“Customs policies vary widely from country to country so please contact your local customs office or tax authority for information specific to the products you are ordering. Additionally, when ordering from Biovea.com you are considered the importer of record and must comply with the laws and regulations of the country in which you are receiving the goods. We cannot be held responsible or accountable for any taxes, duties, tariffs, fines, or any quarantine fees or package warehousing fees assessed by your local customs office”

It appears that Biovea is a US site, reading further in the shopping section, if the item is returned after 75 days, they refund the purchase price less shipping cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Once its a medicine, it cannot be imported without the necessary approvals.

Paracetamol is available in the local petrol station, but cannot be imported by post.

Send them a copy of the letter from customs and you should get your refund.

Most companies that used to ship non prescription medicines here have now stopped. For a while you could use Parcel Motel, but customs targeted that too, so by early last year sites that sold things like paracetamol simply did not ship to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Homelander

It was regaine...it is available in Tesco....so definitely no prescription needed.
    I also confirmed with them there would be no issue with customs etc and they confirmed there wouldn't, I have it in an email

Unfortunately this is on you, you cannot import Minoxodil (Regaine, Kirkland, etc) into Ireland.

There is no way to legally import it, if it's detected it'll always be destroyed. All you can do legally is purchase from the chemist.

Or travel up North and buy it in Boots. Also I don't think you can get it in Tesco here (unless some Tesco have a pharmacy). Only in the UK.

Advertisement