Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amelanchier

Options
  • 30-03-2021 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭

OK looking to tap into the expertise here again!

I've a small thin strip of garden at the front of my house that I want to plant a tree in.
    I really like the Amelanchier but the multiple different types confuse me.

Can anyone recommend which one I should be looking for?

Garden is North facing, somewhat exposed to wind. Grass does very well with only direct sunlight in morning and late evening in the spring/summer. Soil is good.

Ideal criteria:
    The bright white spring/summer flower with the lovely red/orange leaf in the autumn.
    Smaller tree on maturity the better.
    Extensive ground level root systems wouldn't be ideal as it's close to a paved drive.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    And no doubt all variants aren't available in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Amelanchier lamarckii 'Autumn Brilliance' maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭macraignil

Got this shrub variety of Amelanchier spicata from future forest in west Cork before and it has stayed at about two metres in height and still has some of the nice Amelanchier tree features.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Brego888 wrote: »
    Amelanchier lamarckii 'Autumn Brilliance' maybe?

That one spreads more than others and can get to 8m wide

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    That one spreads more than others and can get to 8m wide

Thanks, yeah that would be too wide for my space.

macraignil wrote: »
    Got this shrub variety of Amelanchier spicata from future forest in west Cork before and it has stayed at about two metres in height and still has some of the nice Amelanchier tree features.

How big has yours got, and how old is it now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭macraignil

Brego888 wrote: »
    How big has yours got, and how old is it now?

It is about 2metres tall after never being pruned and is planted in my garden about 6 years now. I'm not sure how old it was when I bought it but here is a clip from a few years back showing three different varieties of Amelanchier flowering with the spicata one being the furthest away on the left of the three. It seems to have the same flowers and nice leaf colours but is multi-stemmed.

Advertisement