Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Big Chill - starting April 4/5th

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Do strawberries not need a spell of cold weather to have a better crop in the summer?

Does anyone know when this cold spell is due to end? I've 2 blueberry bushes in the shed that I want to mind this year, but I also want to move them back outside. I've no frost fleece which is why I brought them in. The cold spell has been a non event around here, Monday was cold, with a cold wind, but only a light frost. My luck I'll put the pots back out and we'll get a hard frost!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭wildwillow

We can get frost up to June. When this cold spell ends harden the plants by putting out by day and covering by night if temperature drops below 4.

Newspaper or old sheets will do for cover. Just keep an eye on the forecast.

Blueberry bushes are hardy once established but you may choose to cover in frost to preserve new growth or blossoms.

Anything purchased recently should be protected even if it's normally hardy, as it has been indoors for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ah ya, I know that. I brought them in because they are covered in new buds and I was trying to mind them for that reason. Normally i wouldn't bother doing anything with them, but they have gotten some TLC for once this year and it'd annoy me if they got damaged through a hard frost and I didn't do anything to try protect them. And some of the reports last week sounded like we were in for a spell of hard frosts/snow. Anyways, I might just chance it and put them back out and what will be will be

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

minus 4 this weekend :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Is there no end in sight at all?!I’m so behind this year, mad to get stuck in..!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,336 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My pricked out seedlings in the cold frame have survived so far, even last night which was extremely cold here. I throw a cover over it at night - just an old curtain, but it seems to have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Bill Hook

Ditto here. I have some big bits of bubble wrap that come in handy.

We’ve been lucky here, cold temps and sleety showers but nothing ever lay. Being close to the coast has always been a curse when you want to see lying snow in winter but it has been our saving grace with this spell. The temps look like they’ll begin to climb gradually after Monday morning onwards. I’ll just have to steady myself till then. I’ve made an old fashioned ‘to do’ list as long as my arm, Monty Dons ‘jobs for the weekend’ wouldn’t be a patch on it! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,023 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lost tomato seedlings and chilli seedlings. They were wrapped up in the polytunnel with bubble wrap and fleece on top.
    I'll sow again on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OldRio wrote: »
    Lost tomato seedlings and chilli seedlings. They were wrapped up in the polytunnel with bubble wrap and fleece on top.
    I'll sow again on Monday.

RIP wee plants!

I have trays of peas etc ready for planting out; no tunnel etc and very little outdoor planting room so they shin up fences!

My kale is brilliant still and has provided healthy dark green leafy eating all winter. With little access to fresh veg in the shops it is perfect. I stopped it going to seed last autumn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Beyond the chill it's the lack of rain which is worth keeping an eye on. March was very dry for most. April will continue the trend.

We’ve been lucky here, cold temps and sleety showers but nothing ever lay. Being close to the coast .......has been our saving grace with this spell.

And I eat my words... There go my tulips! I’m sure they’ll recover from the shock.

I think this arching look looks pretty graceful, pity they couldn’t be bred like that.

549811.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mackdublin

Well, do you think it is safe to remove any fleece from the garden.
    Has the current frost threat passed with last nights dose?
    I'm in Dublin and forecast dont seem to be indicating any further frost this week.

I have a shed full of young plants to get into the ground. Salvias, persicaria, phlox, astilbie's etc They have been living and thriving in the shed for the last month. Still to early to plant? I'm mad to get planting!!!

Mackdublin wrote: »
    I'm in Dublin and forecast dont seem to be indicating any further frost this week.

I have a shed full of young plants to get into the ground. Salvias, persicaria, phlox, astilbie's etc They have been living and thriving in the shed for the last month. Still to early to plant? I'm mad to get planting!!!

I’d say don’t take the seeds out yet, particularly salvias, some varieties are pretty tender. Depends on their size too I suppose, I’d be tempted to leave them til May if they’re smallish and harden them off gradually during the day for a week or so before planting.

As for the fleece I’m lifting mine tomorrow, mind you I didn’t check the farming forecast but I’d say it should be safe enough?

And I eat my words... There go my tulips! I’m sure they’ll recover from the shock.

I think this arching look looks pretty graceful, pity they couldn’t be bred like that.

549811.jpeg

Oh how sad! But rather lovely all the same.

I am waiting a few more days, and we do not get frost out here just wind. patience is a gardener's friend!

Check met ie? Frost tonight even out here but due to ease later in the week. Al I have here is peas and a few nasturtiums. Cannot find my saved nasturtium seed and seedaholic have sold out.. Cannot live without my trailing nasturtiums!

most garden shop would have seeds

Your plants are vunerable if the temperature drops below 4 degrees at night. It doesn't have to be zero or below.

Don't be tempted to put bedding plants out till May. If you have some, harden them off properly before planting and be prepared to cover if the night temperature drops.

Depending on where you are in the country you can have low night temperatures up to June.

The weather app on the Iphone is actually very accurate and a good guide to night temperatures.

The very windy dry weather is just as hard on the plants and remember to water any newly planted trees and shrubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mackdublin

Thanks all, Ill stick to some maintenance work for the moment so and hold off on planting for a time yet.
    Is there a name on that weather app?

Its whichever is standard on the I phone. I find it very accurate if you allow it know your location. Will predict rain to the nearest half hour.

• Advertisement

fryup wrote: »
    most garden shop would have seeds

Cocooned on a small island so I rely on mail order... Preferably seedaholic. Wonderful folk and local also. I do have five healthy nasturtium seedlings..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Graces7 wrote: »
    Cocooned on a small island so I rely on mail order... Preferably seedaholic. Wonderful folk and local also. I do have five healthy nasturtium seedlings..

Its a start.
    Send me a dm and I'll post you some spare unopened seeds

Its a start.
    Send me a dm and I'll post you some spare unopened seeds

Bless that man! See pm...

Thanks all, Ill stick to some maintenance work for the moment so and hold off on planting for a time yet.
    Is there a name on that weather app?

Looking good very soon.. These peas are needing out!

Graces7 wrote: »

Aran Islands?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Still holding back on planting out my seedlings......seems a few more frosts "could" be on the way.

Pak Choi, green and purple sprouting broccoli, courgettes, lettuce, rocket, French main crop beans and dwarf variety.......all well up and ready to rock.

Keeping the powder dry for another few days.

Beetroot planted out a few weeks ago.....about 50% up.

I planted some seeds in a raised bed a few weeks back, peas have come up, also spinach. But no sign of beetroot or spring onion. Should I presume the seeds perished in the frosty spell and just plant more?........or might they come up yet? The packet said plant seeds outdoor from March so I chanced a few rows.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

I'd go by current weather conditions rather than what's printed on a packet to be honest.

Keeping all my seedlings in pots semi indoors for the moment.
    (Except the beetroot I planted out obvs :) )

Advertisement