Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trip To Birkdale

Options
  • 30-03-2021 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

I was very kindly bought a round at Royal Birkdale for my 30th birthday there in January.

I'm looking to take in at least one more Open Championship venue when im over playing (looking at late August).

If anyone has been before would they recommend Lytham St Annes or Hoylake? At a push i could play both but could be asking a lot for other members of the 4 ball to fork out for 3 pricey courses.

Also if anyone has stayed in the Southport region do they have any tips for where to stay or just travel from Liverpool.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moycullen14

I can speak to Lytham. Great course but, boy is it difficult! The finishing stretch is the most difficult I've ever played.

About 200 bunkers and I think I was in all of them. A strange links course in that it isn't on the sea, it's actually between housing estates.

The sense of history there is palpable. You can see where Bobby Jones took his famous shot (17th?) and the car park that Seve used.

It's next door to Blackpool so no end of places to stay. It's a bit of a hike from Liverpool though.

If you're in the area, St Anne's is a lovely links course and a bit less intimidating (and a good bit cheaper).

Enjoy. It's a great golfing part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Beaulieu

Perhaps to ease the budget somewhat would you not consider West Lancs ,Southport & Ainsdale or Formby? Ive played all 3 - stayed in Southport (nice place). Hillside has a great reputation too. That whole area is awash with great courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Running Balance

Dont forget formby either - I live over here and anyone I know says that's the best of the lot. Just make sure it's not formby hall but the actual links..

There are some amazing courses on the wirral too like caldy and wallsey along with hoylake..

Lytham is a hike from liverpool and staying in the city would be most central.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭IAmTitleist

I'll probably leave Lytham then and play Birkdale, Hoylake and one more. Will have a look at all courses mentioned above and see what i like the look of best!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Formby is a good option too

• Advertisement
Advertisement