Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread 30/3/21 K.O 7.45PM - RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Hoping we can get that first win under Stephen and then take things from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Coventry not even in the squad, Conor McGregor will not be happy!

https://twitter.com/IrishPropaganda/status/1376846544566124544

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

UFC 270 McGregor vs Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Is this game tonight?

Is this game tonight?
    Yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ide rather lose with kids than see Christie and Hendrick tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Not surprised we've made a good few changes but can't help but feel we are not going to learn much tonight. Hopefully we can just get a win and maybe some players will impress for a starting role.

I don't know how we're going to line up, kind of looks like it might be 3-4-3.

Coleman - Duffy - O'Shea
    Christie - Molumby - Hendrick - Brady
    Horgan - Long - McClean

I don't like some of the selections.

I think Lenihan has deserved a run out, captain at Blackburn, in great form and putting MOTM performances in. Curtis is another I am warming to, watched his last game when he scored and got an assist. He's league 1, but he's young, he's in form, surely a better option and Horgan who isn't having a good season at the bottom of the Championship. Kenny mustn't really fancy Manning too much, you'd think he'd start given he's a natural left back in the Championship.

I hope we can get the win regardless, in dire need of a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Hendrick, Brady, Long, Horgan, McClean as the attacking five. This is the pits.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

sugarman wrote: »
    Probably 4-3-3 with Christie at LB.

I hope it’s a 4-3-3. Back 3 doesn’t suit Duffy at all and he should only go 3 at the back if he has wing backs like Stevens and Doherty available.

We’ll see but it’s strange that during the Nations League he didn’t try 3 at the back when people were asking for it but has now switched to 3 at the back for the last two crucial Qualifiers. If he’s chopping and changing in response to what pundits or punters are asking for then he’s in trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Kenny really is awful in interviews. Completely uninspiring and the lack of confidence radiates from him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Guffy

Who's the woman on the RTE panel? missed her name, but talking a lot of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

I'd prefer if we didn't bother playing. But seeing as we are, I'd like to see any sort of win for Kenny to break his duck. Looking at the XI it's not going to be a game we'll learn much from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Kenny really is awful in interviews. Completely uninspiring and the lack of confidence radiates from him

He's a weird one alright... he comes across awfully from a media standpoint, but I actually generally really like listening to him speak. He seems incredibly genuine and thoughtful. I get the feeling he bloody hates those quick snapshot interviews, and wants to have a proper discussion. You see in longer form interviews that he really likes to take his time and think properly about giving the question an actual deserved answer that reflects what he really thinks. He's just not at all built for these empty soundbyte 2 minute on-camera bits.

He's one of the most insightful Irish voices I've heard on football for a while... was absolutely brilliant with the Second Captains live event a bit over a year ago. A proper long form deep dive into football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Guffy wrote: »
    Who's the woman on the RTE panel? missed her name, but talking a lot of sense.

Karen Duggan. Former Irish international and current WNL player with Peamount United.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Not liking the lineup at all, but maybe this is Kenny's attempt at a "go out and prove to me you still have something to offer" approach for the senior members of the squad.

I wasn't confident of a win before the lineup was announced and I'm even less so now. However I really do hope I'm wrong as I would love to see Kenny get a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I desperately want to see Ireland get a win tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kenny going for experience, probably better than watching the young lads running around like headless chickens.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

This or Covid briefing....:eek:

Not liking the lineup at all, but maybe this is Kenny's attempt at a "go out and prove to me you still have something to offer" approach for the senior members of the squad.

I wasn't confident of a win before the lineup was announced and I'm even less so now. However I really do hope I'm wrong as I would love to see Kenny get a win.

Kinda think the same - a bit of a statement to a few lads like Hendrick and Brady that from tomorrow he's gonna be thinking of the next games, and right now they're not really in consideration unless they do something tonight.

As with pretty much any team you name though, it's hard enough to see where the goals come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭ratracer

I Can’t even pretend to be interested in this fixture! Still though, I hope Kenny managed to get that elusive first win under his belt, just to build some kind of dressing room confidence.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

He should spend the summer getting media training if he is to stay in the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He should spend the summer getting media training if he is to stay in the job.

Yeah cos Trap and O'Neill were great at it.

One pretended he didn't know a word of English, and the other spent years attacking a single reporter who had the cheek to ask him the odd difficult question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

When did Ireland last have a front line worth a damn? Might it be all the way back to Keane/Connelly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

This feels like a cup final to me. A draw or a loss here and that has to be it for Kenny. Maybe a draw where we did everything but score might save him.

Just give us a win with a few goals and things will feel a bit better at least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Ridiculous team to pick, why not give the young lads more game time ffs

NIMAN wrote: »

One pretended he didn't know a word of English, and the other spent years attacking a single reporter who had the cheek to ask him the odd difficult question.

Very well summed up

Interviewing Aul trap was like an unfunny comedy sketch

And as for MON it was like an anger management test every time he saw Tony OD

Think we'll get a bit of fight from this team tonight at least which we haven't seen recently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

NIMAN wrote: »

Both of them were world weary men who held themselves up and deflected, Kenny looks broken when asked the most simple question and his players see that on TV even if they don't see it in the dressing room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

If the likes of Hendrick, McClean, and Brady don't perform tonight I hope their chances going forward are limited. They've all been equally disappointing over the last couple of campaigns, and I'd much rather we gave more opportunities to the younger lads to gain experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Nice stadium.

Very well summed up

Interviewing Aul trap was like an unfunny comedy sketch

And as for MON it was like an anger management test every time he saw Tony OD

Tony tried to antagonise him any chance he got though.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Same poor guy again getting stuck commentating on the Ireland match on Sky.

Oh Allah, I hope we get a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

K. Cunningham means sound turned down time.

No knee from Qatar

Controversial Jeff

• Advertisement

Ridiculous team to pick, why not give the young lads more game time ffs

I think he is caught between a rock and a hard place.

If he experiments and losses, his job could go. Media will have a field day if they lose to Luxembourg then Qatar.

So I think he is simply trying to win the game, to get the monkey off his back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

KungPao wrote: »
    Same poor guy again getting stuck commentating on the Ireland match on Sky.

Oh Allah, I hope we get a win.

Do we watch it on Sky or RTE? Cunningham is on RTE though....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Kenny Cunningham is like ya man from Father Ted with the dreary, monotonous voice stuck in the women's underpants department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

elefant wrote: »
    Hendrick, Brady, Long, Horgan, McClean as the attacking five. This is the pits.

I’d say this selection is forced on Kenny.
    Would rather see newcomers tbh.

Tony tried to antagonise him any chance he got though.

No he didn't, he simply asked the questions we all wanted asked.

That was his job.

Too many football reporters want to be mates with managers and players, TOD did his job.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Hendrick looks up for this.

About time.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Richie Sadlier coaching this crowd?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

I desperately want to see Ireland get a win tonight.

I'd say you'll be waiting. As Kevin Doyle said these Qatar lads are building for the WC and have been for a few years. All the players play in Qatar so their national team can basically train together all year round at the Aspire Academy. This is going to be a well drilled team and I'd stick with my earlier prediction of 1-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

No knee from Qatar

Controversial Jeff

Them boys love the aul' racism!

Devils advocate... they didn't know the Irish team were going to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No knee from Qatar

Controversial Jeff

With the week that's in it and all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

This feels like a cup final to me. A draw or a loss here and that has to be it for Kenny. Maybe a draw where we did everything but score might save him.

Just give us a win with a few goals and things will feel a bit better at least

Qatar are reigning Asia Cup champions beating Japan in the 2019 final. They are ranked about 40 places ahead of mighty Luxembourg who they beat last week. They have a team of naturalized (ie biught in) foreigners with the aim of making a splash at the World Cup. I would Mags them favorites for this match given our run of “form”.

Lovely little move there!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

What a start.

Where was this on Saturday? Great stuff.

Wahey!! A goal!!

Excellent start, high intencity, and driving through.

Boom, get in McLean

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
Advertisement