Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread 30/3/21 K.O 7.45PM - RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Great ball there from Ali.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Ya it's really highlighting how flat they were. The luxembourg game felt like a friendly in comparison to this.

Yep, this feels a lot more competitive than the other night. A good reaction from the players who weren't selected vs Lux.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Ya it's really highlighting how flat they were. The luxembourg game felt like a friendly in comparison to this.

Yeah you'd think this is the qualifier and Luxembourg was the friendly.

Seems we're playing 3-4-3. I like this and think 3-4-3 is often better than 3-5-2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Wonder can Parrott copy what McLean did..

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

O’Shea already looks so much more comfortable when he’s taken out of the middle of a 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Sorry for Brady but glad to see Parrott on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

McClean has been immense.

If McClean tried that again he'd probably hurt himself. Done well to avoid not touching the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Anyone else missing the crowd noise effect? You'd think RTE would have that sorted by now

Nope. It's an abomination.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very close by Long, he read it well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Poor effort by Long there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kksaints

Long should have buried that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Sums up Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Wasting a lot of openings in the final third.

The fact he does things with urgency is really standing out. Similar Horgan, who I believe was the same in the nation's league. When he played he'd work his socks off while others were going through the motions.

He is hyped up. He was really singing the anthem proudly/loudly which I noticed.

Sometimes that leads to him getting booked or sent off though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Seems mad they've gone from Ireland to Serbia back to Ireland and then over to Hungary within a week. Must be quite gruelling, especially for Coleman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Luxembourg 1 up

Duffy looking very rusty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,531 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Both of them were world weary men who held themselves up and deflected, Kenny looks broken when asked the most simple question and his players see that on TV even if they don't see it in the dressing room.

I'd have to agree.

Some might take the criticism to heart but SK just looks quite nervous and inarticulate.

I am sure it is something he will grow into.

Buzunu lucky to get away with that mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,199 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

The fact he does things with urgency is really standing out. Similar Horgan, who I believe was the same in the nation's league. When he played he'd work his socks off while others were going through the motions.

Horgan's looked good fairly consistently for Ireland alright, deserves to be in or around the first team for sure. Bit of energy, bit of cleverness to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Had to get a few beers after d'announcement and an Ireland win would do wonders to soothe flagging morale.

If it wasn't for Kenny I'd be watching Wales against Czechia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

noodler wrote: »
    I'd have to agree.

Some might take the criticism to heart but SK just looks quite nervous and inarticulate.

I am sure it is something he will grow into.

He doesn't come across well in the media or on the touchline, never has.

Obviously in the more important aspects i.e. getting the message across to players; he is far more accomplished.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Despite Cunningham’s attempts to say otherwise, that ball has gone through Bazunu’s hands and hit him on the snout.

There was nothing intentional about that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I like Bazunu’s decisiveness. Yes he’s made a few iffy calls like that just there and the free/penalty. But it’s great to see a guy if his age not afraid to commit and not just hanging on his line

Luxembourg 1 up

Yep, Rodrigues again with a great diving header. Just shows how valuable it is to have a Champions League striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

1-1 now in Luxembourg

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I like Bazunu’s decisiveness. Yes he’s made a few iffy calls like that just there and the free/penalty. But it’s great to see a guy if his age not afraid to commit and not just hanging on his line

He's still very young and inexperienced, but already reminds me of Ederson at his parent club. He's got that quality, not afraid of making mistakes.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Thought Parrot was a model to score a few mins ago, with his quick 1-2, last pass was desperate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cunningham is terrible as pundit be it on the radio or TV and he also must be one of the worst colour men on commentary, How they hell does he get the work.

Great start but fairly poor since then. Hopefully they get going again in second half

Much better, other than Duffy who doesn't look fit, we've been excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,580 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Cunningham is terrible as pundit be it on the radio or TV and he also must be one of the worst colour men on commentary, How they hell does he get the work.

To be fair, he has the most expressive eyebrows on TV.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

1-1 now in Luxembourg

Right before halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Much better, other than Duffy who doesn't look fit, we've been excellent.

Duffy has been fine. Played really well. Not sure you're being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Well that is refreshing at least . Have to say McLean and Longs pace and intensity has made a difference.

Horgan and O Shea also doing well

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Duffy has been fine. Played really well. Not sure you're being serious?

Looks very rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

What are these guys doing, can they not keep the ball, they are giving the ball back to the Qtaries ever chance they get.

Need a win here of any kind. Qatar are a decent side. Obviously putting a big effort in to be decent for the World Cup in Qatar. They are taking this game seriously so if we can win it'll be a worthy win and hard fought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

At this moment in time, I couldn't tell you.

Better than Stephen Kelly though. Seems a nice lad but doesn't have the voice or input needed, at least not at this moment in time.

I'd even have Ronnie Whelan over those two!

Bazunu I think will be a really good keeper he will learn from the few iffy things he's doing.

Parrott has actually made a few runs instead of standing static like a lot of people are when the likes of molomby have it and are looking to play forward.

Shane long while he butchered his chance has been very high energy as always.

noodler wrote: »
    Looks very rusty.

He's definitely rusty and his performance all the more admirable for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

sugarman wrote: »
    Good move there but everyone ran into the exact same area for the cutback.

That was very frustrating!

Decent performance. A big step up from Saturday.

Not sure where Brady goes from here. He needs to get away from Burnley and get a good six months injury free first team run.

tastyt wrote: »
    Have to say McLean and Longs pace and intensity has made a difference.

Stands out even more after Wednesday night. Said it before Kenny's first squad that McClean will be picked by Kenny for the work he puts in. That even though Dundalk were known as a good footballing team, they were a team that worked their socks off and could play football too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Stephen Kenny celebrating like we've scored against Spain in the semi finals of the world cup.

I like Karen as an analyst. Does her homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Great start but fairly poor since then. Hopefully they get going again in second half

Yeah I think it's one of the worst performances yet. Not as bad as the game on Saturday but maybe that's partly down to most of the guys playing tonight having a longer rest period. There's a good bit more energy tonight but lacking the neat passing and solid shape from the game vs Serbia.

Need a win here of any kind. Qatar are a decent side. Obviously putting a big effort in to be decent for the World Cup in Qatar. They are taking this game seriously so if we can win it'll be a worthy win and hard fought.

Qatar's team are all home based too. These lads are probably all training together as a team every week.

• Advertisement

He's definitely rusty and his performance all the more admirable for that.

I was being kind, i.e. he looks a bit laboured and sluggish.but there is a reason for it.

Advertisement