Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread 30/3/21 K.O 7.45PM - RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

No. We once went 20 without a win between 1968 and 1971.

Wow.

Incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Can we arrange a game against Andorra or San Marino? This felt like a game put together to win but it has been dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

sterz wrote: »
    I wasn't that shocked when I saw it. It's the same as it was on Saturday evening.

Doesn't make it any easier though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

ebbsy wrote: »
    This is a bit like my sex life.

Not much penetration.

You shouldn't be shooting from outside the Box :P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Has Kenny been sacked yet? This is woeful. How many games will he get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Christie is ****ing useless.

And yet he was 10 times better than Doherty.

So much for apparently having three quality right backs. It's evident we only have one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,211 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think its time we reassess our ability levels.

Too often I hear "this is the weakest team in the group", when we are quickly becoming that team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Mushy wrote: »
    That free kick at the end was awful. Really need an improvement in the final third, such a huge issue

I mean what even was it? Absolutely load the box with players and then...that.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Kenny is passive on the sideline. That always his style?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

So this is deemed a positive for Ireland now, a 1-1 draw with Qutar, ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If we don't get a winner we should say goodbye to Kenny. I like him but it hasn't worked out. Just say thanks and move on. For whatever reason it hasn't worked.

This is like a cup final and it really hinges on the result. Get a winner and he can say we got there in the end. Lose and he should be gone.

A draw with this display and there isn't much positives to take from this.Take out our goal and we really have only had shane long on the backpass.

Yes we don't have great players, covid etc all the reasons why its a hard luck story, but he hasn't shown me anything to hang my hat on. Stuttering interviews and bad body language. Yes his team is on an awful run so he is not going to be jolly but it comes across badly. I would have to assume the same with the players.

I wanted him to work out but we have to say it hasn't. I don't think he knows how to change it when things are going wrong. That's what I see.

I know, who do we put in? Anyone but him at the moment. It feels like the more he tries the worse we are getting. I really hopes he just steps down honourably. Takes a break and then comes back somewhere.

Nail. Head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

MattS1 wrote: »

Probably the full campaign then re assess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

J Mysterio wrote: »
    :pac:

Do you not think so? I thought we were the better side in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Remember Kenny Cunningham said this game will give people a lift :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Would they be able to show that in Qatar TV or would the WAP football we are playing upset their strict public decency laws?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Can we arrange a game against Andorra or San Marino? This felt like a game put together to win but it has been dreadful.

Ha, Darragh Maloney just said it's likely we've a game with Andorra in June!

He's getting this campaign at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭joeysoap

What’s wrong with Jamie McGrath?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Neeson wrote: »
    We have a Taoiseach who cannot communicate and a football manager who cannot communicate.

Please don't compare the two, they're polar opposites!

One doesn't stand for anything and the other will fall for what he stands for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

It’s a cop out to think the players at Kennys disposal are the issue here, granted we are not world beaters but we are also not this 11 games bad, the results are shocking. This is poor management losing and hiding behind this fake trying to change how we play.

There is no middle ground Kenny should already be fired, no fans and no FAI leader ala Delaney to heap pressure on makes this a drawn out and Toxic year ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Yeah, what's the story with Cunningham? We are clearly septic and have an unsuitable manager but he seems not to see that.

Probably the full campaign then re assess

What's to reassess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

NIMAN wrote: »
    I think its time we reassess our ability levels.

Too often I hear "this is the weakest team in the group", when we are quickly becoming that team.

If Portugal rest their top players against us in the next game, then we'll know...

Awful stuff yet again.

When will this end. Kenny is dragging us back into the doldrums. Abysmal.

Kenny is passive on the sideline. That always his style?

Seems to be.. stand there quietly, shuffling around the line. Give an awkward interview that inspires no confidence.

I'm sure he's a nice guy trying his best, but as I said the other night he's just out of his depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

We play Andorra in June.

If that doesn’t do the trick we’ll get San Marino on the blower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Kenny body language poor last two games.

He has given up himself

Kenny's problem is his insistence that they play football as it should be played, when the players are not of the standard necessary to do it

What's to reassess?

The managers position at the end of the campaign.

I said it the other night he’s chasing a job with the FAI in the under age set up. That’s all that’s about he’s been scadding of us in the past but toeing the line now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,175 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surely beat Andorra next time out... Surely

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Everyone played well apparently

**** me, can we get rid of pundits before anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

joeysoap wrote: »
    What’s wrong with Jamie McGrath?

Needs surgery on a shoulder injury. Don't think St Mirren would release him for this game.

Soups123 wrote: »
    It’s a cop out to think the players at Kennys disposal are the issue here, granted we are not world beaters but we are also not this 11 games bad, the results are shocking. This is poor management losing and hiding behind this fake trying to change how we play.

There is no middle ground Kenny should already be fired, no fans and no FAI leader ala Delaney to heap pressure on makes this a drawn out and Toxic year ahead.

I'd imagine there must be some conversations going on behind the scenes?

The managers position at the end of the campaign.

He hasn't won a game. Assessment completed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭passatman86

We're sh1t and we know we are
    We're sh1t and we know we are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Can you imagine thinking coming into these three games that we would be happy with a draw against Qatar?

Yet you still have sheep on here claiming he can manage international footballers.

Truly astonishing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kenny just doesn't seem up to even a basic tactical level needed for international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No. We once went 20 without a win between 1968 and 1971.

Doesn't count for all the moaners because the Irish team was only formed in 1988 for most of those clowns

Azatadine wrote: »
    I'd imagine there must be some conversations going on behind the scenes?

I really doubt it, he’ll be here for September now and they’ll have him out before fans start to return to stadiums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Could and possibly should have knicked a win at the end, very good chance, not taken, we had a few more chances we should have scored from, 5 shots on target which is more than we normally get.

Qatar are better than what most fans thought.

First half positives, but should have won though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

This female pundit good. Not confident or cocky like the men. But actually good technical analysis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Do you not think so? I thought we were the better side in the game.

I think it was even overall, and said before kick off it would be a 1-1.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Seems to be.. stand there quietly, shuffling around the line. Give an awkward interview that inspires no confidence.

I'm sure he's a nice guy trying his best, but as I said the other night he's just out of his depth.

Nailed it. He's a dead man walking. He'd be gone if fans were in the stadium the other night. The media are going easy enough on him but that won't last I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Ha, Darragh Maloney just said it's likely we've a game with Andorra in June!

Yeah and Kevin Doyle half joking and stifling a laugh said - ‘we are even starting to worry about that one’

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

To be fair to Kenny (who is clearly out of his depth), its the FAI who put him in this position. In some ways I feel sorry for him.... Until I think of the 500k per annum.

Some nice passages of play this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Rte was well regarded for its sports coverage. This punditry is appalling. It sounds like the tripe you'd hear across the water.
    Sadliers pissed off voice is needed here.
    Also I'm sorry but who's the female pundit? The only issue I have with female pundits in all sports is they never stick their neck out and offer a big criticism, always safe bland stuff.

This female pundit good. Not confident or cocky like the men. But actually good technical analysis.

She has been excellent the detail in her pre and post game analysis has been excellent. She absolutely knows her stuff

She raised a good point that despite all the experimentation with the team, we're still no further along with knowing who our strongest team is.

I think it was even overall, and said before kick off it would be a 1-1.

I'd disagree. I think we shaded it and we're shíte right now. Qatar hanging on till the end. They'll be a poor host team at the World Cup.

• Advertisement
Advertisement