Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Qatar v Republic of Ireland - Match Thread 30/3/21 K.O 7.45PM - RTE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Soups123 wrote: »
    She has been excellent the detail in her pre and post game analysis has been excellent. She absolutely knows her stuff

Yes so many lads come on and speak general cocky ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

This female pundit good. Not confident or cocky like the men. But actually good technical analysis.

Karen Duggan. At this rate I bet the FAI are thinking she would make a great appointment if Kenny goes.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Also I'm sorry but who's the female pundit? The only issue I have with female pundits in all sports is they never stick their neck out and offer a big criticism, always safe bland stuff.

I'm sure this sounded like fair criticism and not completely sexist in your head!

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    She raised a good point that despite all the experimentation with the team, we're still no further along with knowing who our strongest team is.

She actually speaks better about coaching than Kenny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Rte was well regarded for its sports coverage. This punditry is appalling. It sounds like the tripe you'd hear across the water.

Miss the days of a half-pissed Eamonn Dunphy, and Gilesy rambling on about moral courage whilst the late Bill O'Herlihy swings around on his chair framing his own questions to the panel as opinions from ambiguous third party sources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

She has been excellent the detail in her pre and post game analysis has been excellent. She absolutely knows her stuff

Don't know if it's because they are women or just not big star names but I always find the women analysts better because they put some effort in and actually do some work where as the retired "stars" just talk waffle and throw out cliches usually. It's the same with the English women pundits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Her analysis of their goal there was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Just as well it's the coaching that counts, not the speaking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,985 ✭✭✭Soups123

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Don't know if it's because they are women or just not big star names but I always find the women analysts better because they put some effort in and actually do some work where as the retired "stars" just talk waffle and throw out cliches usually. It's the same with the English women pundits

I think it probably because unfairly they have to prove themselves in what is a male dominated studio. To deliver the quality and the insight she offered off the bat pre and post game shows she knows here stuff, simple and articulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭bazza1

Mongolia lost 14-0 against Japan. Organise a friendly against them pronto. Ideal warm up before Andorra in June!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lisa Fallon is top class pundit as well on RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Karen Duggan should get motm, been the best performer tonight! Thought her and Kevin have been good in the analysis.

Karen Duggan should get motm, been the best performer tonight! Thought her and Kevin have been good in the analysis.

Give her Robbie's wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭MattressRick

It's not sexist. It's an observation based on loads of actual punditry I've seen here, BBC, Sunday game etc. Never a moment or comment that people talk about the following day. I'd prefer if they came out swinging at some ****e performances they've just watched.
    And by the way Doyle is the focus of the first part of my first criticism. Appallingly positive.

sugarman wrote: »
    The media worldwide are usually the first ones to put the boot in before anyone else when a manager is failing, but yet here they are almost sympathizing with Kenny. Does that not in itself speak volumes and a paint a picture that there are far far deeper problems than management?

Yes the media understand that Kenny is not the problem. Pity all the glory hunters don't actually get involved enough to actually find out what is going on in Irish football because they are too busy reading nonsense off the Sun while screaming about whatever English team "til I die"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,206 ✭✭✭fyfe79

RonanG86 wrote: »
    Miss the days of a half-pissed Eamonn Dunphy, and Gilesy rambling on about moral courage whilst the late Bill O'Herlihy swings around on his chair framing his own questions to the panel as opinions from ambiguous third party sources.

On a sunny Wednesday afternoon at Lansdowne!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I must be watching different pundits. This was probably the second worst performance since Kenny took over and you would swear things were mostly okay going by their comments. I think Doyle referred to the first half as an excellent performance. Because we scored? Feck all between the first and second half in my opinion. They looked bereft of ideas early on and the goal just glossed over a poor enough display in the first 45.

It's not sexist. It's an observation based on loads of actual punditry I've seen here, BBC, Sunday game etc. Never a moment or comment that people talk about the following day. I'd prefer if they came out swinging at some ****e performances they've just watched.
    And by the way Doyle is the focus of the first part of my first criticism. Appallingly positive.

Not too sure about that - he said he was a little worried about the upcoming Andorra game!

Id prefer actual analysis than drama for attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

I would wage a bet that Stephen Kenny knows more about coaching/ managing football than the vast majority of people on here calling for his sacking. Its absolutely ridiculous that people are dismissing the lack of calibre of the players at his disposal. Our fans expectations are sometimes ludicrous, we haven't even a properly backed league for Gods sake. There is no easy fix, its going to take a long period by the FAI to nurture our game and get get back to basics, after the Champagne leadership that left us where we are now as a Football Association, broke and broken. Kenny is a true football guy in every respect.

• Advertisement

sugarman wrote: »
    The media worldwide are usually the first ones to put the boot in before anyone else when a manager is failing, but yet here they are almost sympathizing with Kenny. Does that not in itself speak volumes and a paint a bigger picture that there are far far deeper problems than management?

Or pundits afraid to rock the boat..

BTW, nobody is saying there aren't other problems. There are plenty. However, what we'd like is a manager who despite not having the best squad of players might make us fight for everything on the pitch.

He's hopelessly out his depth. I don't blame him he should never be near the job. Eoin Hand is right, an academy job is his level.

I'm suspecting the players have given up on him too tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

bazza1 wrote: »
    Mongolia lost 14-0 against Japan. Organise a friendly against them pronto. Ideal warm up before Andorra in June!

Might knock the confidence altogether before the must win Andorra match!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

secman wrote: »
    I would wage a bet that Stephen Kenny knows more about coaching/ managing football than the vast majority of people on here calling for his sacking

Jaysis, you'd hope so

Doesn't change results though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

No natural goalscorer, even if we had all players fit and available.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

So many changes made tonight that the match itself and trying to gauge anything from performance is fairly ludicrous. I look forward to our hammering by Portugal and the inevitable appointment of Bryan Robson or his ilk to resume normal service and tell us how bad we are while his team focus on hoofing the ball from keeper to James Collins for 90 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That McClean interview seems to me like he doesn’t like Kenny

I would wage a bet that Stephen Kenny knows more about coaching/ managing football than the vast majority of people on here calling for his sacking. Its absolutely ridiculous that people are dismissing the lack of calibre of the players at his disposal. Our fans expectations are sometimes ludicrous, we haven't even a properly backed league for Gods sake. There is no easy fix, its going to take a long period by the FAI to nurture our game and get get back to basics, after the Champagne leadership that left us where we are now as a Football Association, broke and broken. Kenny is a true football guy in every respect.

It’s a cop out to say we haven’t the quality, the players at his disposal are way better than the results. He’s came in treating us like a club team, he wants to make a change but it has to be gradual, he just can’t do that over the 25 days or so he’s had had with the team.

You cannot do what he thinks he is doing from the top you change from the bottom up not the top down, maybe another 4/6 years with the 21s not a year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That McClean interview seems to me like he doesn’t like Kenny

How did you come to that conclusion?

He said hopefully the team have turned a corner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So many changes made tonight that the match itself and trying to gauge anything from performance is fairly ludicrous. I look forward to our hammering by Portugal and the inevitable appointment of Bryan Robson or his ilk to resume normal service and tell us how bad we are while his team focus on hoofing the ball from keeper to James Collins for 90 mins.

It doesn't have to be hoofing the ball all the time.

The problem for Kenny is he is trying the other extreme when we don't have the standard or type of player to keep it up for 90 minutes.

It's never going to work with the resources we have.

sterz wrote: »
    I must be watching different pundits. This was probably the second worst performance since Kenny took over and you would swear things were mostly okay going by their comments. I think Doyle referred to the first half as an excellent performance. Because we scored? Feck all between the first and second half in my opinion. They looked bereft of ideas early on and the goal just glossed over a poor enough display in the first 45.

No, you are spot on. The punditry was pretty poor tbh. Not Kenny Cunningham v Luxemburg poor tbf. That was on a different solar system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,286 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Kenny knows much more about me than football because I played football in schools, up to u18s, a bit of FIFA and Championship Manager, and now I sit in an office all day replying to emails and wasting my life away on video conferences.

Kenny on the other hand has won the 37th ranked league in Europe, ****ed up 11 games with the Irish team, gotten relegated from the SPL, played 4-3-3 tiki taka stuff.

And he is still incompetent in that job. I'm just worried now that it will take defeat to Andorra to get it across to some people on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Unashamedly I did switch to Wales in the end and saw a quality winner.

There's a team without a manager doing ok. It's almost like the quality of the players is the biggest determining factor!

If you don't have the players, you have to be patient and place your trust in someone who can maybe outperform his raw materials.

I'm willing to experience some pain and trust Stephen long-term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Doyle said Christie did well tonight? Come on....

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Confirmation bias set in a long time ago for some of these people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭McFly85

If we don't get a winner we should say goodbye to Kenny. I like him but it hasn't worked out. Just say thanks and move on. For whatever reason it hasn't worked.

This is like a cup final and it really hinges on the result. Get a winner and he can say we got there in the end. Lose and he should be gone.

A draw with this display and there isn't much positives to take from this.Take out our goal and we really have only had shane long on the backpass.

Yes we don't have great players, covid etc all the reasons why its a hard luck story, but he hasn't shown me anything to hang my hat on. Stuttering interviews and bad body language. Yes his team is on an awful run so he is not going to be jolly but it comes across badly. I would have to assume the same with the players.

I wanted him to work out but we have to say it hasn't. I don't think he knows how to change it when things are going wrong. That's what I see.

I know, who do we put in? Anyone but him at the moment. It feels like the more he tries the worse we are getting. I really hopes he just steps down honourably. Takes a break and then comes back somewhere.

It was a meaningless friendly, as far away from a cup final as you can get.

I agree it hasn't gone well, but what's the point of getting rid of him now? The reality is, much like our players, we don't have much choice when it comes to management. Gone are the days when we could throw a million or 2 at someone to come in to do a job. I really doubt there's anyone out there that's affordable that could do better.

What I see now, is that unfortunately, Ireland are really a 4th seed nation, and this has been coming far before Kenny took over. We're not producing players, we have no proper international setup to speak of. Luxembourg showed us the other night that having a clear vision for your player development can go a long way with the national team. Closer to home, Scotland, Wales & NI are far more comfortable with the ball too.

Ultimately, I think no manager will take this team and make them a WC qualification prospect. There's 13 spots for UEFA and we're far away from being in or around the quality of those that will qualify. Considering the state of the FAIs finances, we will be out in the wilderness for a long time to come.

I don't want to be too harsh on Kenny, but c'mon like

'I'm happy with the progress of the squad'

no

Kenny trying to pull the positives.

At this stage I'm starting to feel sorry for him. He just isn't up to the level required. It happens.

Make. These. Interviews. Stop.

Please.

I'm turning inside-out with the cringe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I know little about Kenny (never followed LOI) but I would hazard a guess he knows more about football than 99% on this forum.

• Advertisement

People just throwing nonsense out into the air now hoping people who didn't watch the interviews will repeat it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Fuçkit, watching that interview, I'm going with Kenny out. This is just absolutely intolerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭secman

It’s a cop out to say we haven’t the quality, the players at his disposal are way better than the results. He’s came in treating us like a club team, he wants to make a change but it has to be gradual, he just can’t do that over the 25 days or so he’s had had with the team.

You cannot do what he thinks he is doing from the top you change from the bottom up not the top down, maybe another 4/6 years with the 21s not a year

Its not cop out its factual, Coleman is the only player playing regularly in PL, he has aging experienced players and many coming from under 21's. He is also trying to get us play ball on the deck following all the previous dinosaur football by Trapp and ONeill .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

The comments saying he is clueless tactically are cheap. Could have said the exact same thing about MON or Mick. The results and performances have not been good enough, no sugar coating it.

I just don't see what sacking him will achieve. We aren't going to the world cup, there are no more qualifiers for any tournament until 2023 (?) and he is trying to implement a new style with our least experienced and worst team in 40+ years.

I gave him a free pass in the nations league and said he wouldn't be judged until March. The past week has not gone well at all and he is deservedly under pressure, but I would give him until the end of this campaign to try and save his job. If we are still looking as toothless in November then we still have a full year of nations league and friendly games to give a new manager a chance before the euros qualifiers.

He's starting to get annoyed now. It's the most animated I've seen him

Christ almighty. This is like satire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Zico !

Poor man totally out of his depth -oh sh1t hes on abt his record at dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

He's gone full Jose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

He seems incredibly nervous. I've seen him before in interviews and he was never like this before. Not a lot of confidence there. I still think he's doing about as good as he can with the players we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Well at least he’s fighting I suppose. Bit of passion shown there which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Oh, sounding like Kevin Keegan now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement