Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm

Malin head gusting 40 knots. down to 6 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

UK Met Office forecast shows nothing more than well scattered light pepperings from any snow/sleet/hail showers over the northern third of Ireland over the next few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-B2myF3Bws

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Lough mourne Donegal 4.1c at 23.30. Was 4.6c at 23.20. I first checked at the 23.10 update and I think it was 5.5c then. Colder air filtering in. 3am onwards before anything wintry I would guess .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    UK Met Office forecast shows nothing more than well scattered light pepperings from any snow/sleet/hail showers over the northern third of Ireland over the next few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-B2myF3Bws

There's plenty of snow showers for Northern NI on that chart, with a particular expansion of Monday night.

The colder air is filtering south, but the lower dew points are moving SW. Going to be a while before Ulster is into the proper arctic air, maybe by 4am.

• Advertisement

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    The colder air is filtering south, but the lower dew points are moving SW. Going to be a while before Ulster is into the proper arctic air, maybe by 4am.

Looking forward already to your photos of the epic snow drifts up there in northern Ulster.

New Moon

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    There's plenty of snow showers for Northern NI on that chart, with a particular expansion of Monday night.

The pepperings do appear to increase a little overnight tomorrow night over the NW of Ireland on the latest UK Met hi res run:

1fpHJiv.png

but given the slight west of north flow, is it possible that you might be subject to the wrath of the ' Inishowen Peninsula shadow' effect (if such a thing were to exist that is"? )

New Moon

It depends, showers are coming in from Inishowen at the moment and passing over me. I find in northerly or northwesterly flows that the showers shift direction every few hours, anyway.

Wow, some very large showers just sprung up out of nowhere north of Islay, let's hope they don't skirt around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Went walkabout about the grounds and the town lights catching off the clouds caught my attention. Haven't seen it in a while!
    But then the bluey blackness. Intense darkness of half the sky. And then a thick cold mist started to fall.
    Tullamore area.
    Could be plenty of precipitation yet.

• Advertisement

You're still very young Sryan :) Still 20/21?

The year is picking up pace, thank God, but I can confirm that it's still 2021.

Sharp drop in current rain shower, down to 4.3c. (Please others report on snow when you get it, I don't want to be the only one in here!)

DP: 1.6c, WB: 3.0c.

I would imagine the snowline is about 350 metres.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Early on April 5th 2018, temps fell to below -5.0c in the midlands:

UoWCHb0.png

I'd be very surprised if we even came close that under this current spell, but if we do, sheltered spots of the east and southeast would be the areas favoured I reckon.

What was most surprising was the BFTE /Storm Emma, then this cold night and then, 6 weeks later, HEATWAVE! Mountain fires.... Crazy weather.
    And Ophelia the Autumn before. Ah, halcyon days...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Mod Note: A lot of irrelevant posts deleted! Please keep the discussion weather related, and above all, be kind to one another!

2.1c, WB: 0.7c, DB: -1.1c.

We had a hail shower, radar says there is snow over me. Nothing at all has fallen since.

Scrap that! It is snowing lightly here and actually sticking to the cars! Bitterly, bitterly cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A wild, wailing loud wind buffets and snarls out here.

And a bitter cold nips at fingers and toes. A dark chill morning. Inbreathed air is cold in the lungs ..

And I look at the date....

"Oh to be in Ireland now that April's here... "

My small dwelling is cram full of seed trays in various stages of new growth. Thankfully I know better than to plant out without checking the weather well ahead.

I do not remember ever lighting the stove in my years here in April but today ..

We adapt to the weather as the weather does not and cannot adapt to us.....

An interesting day ahead indeed. Maybe at least the far mountains will be white- adorned

And as I type there is a spatter and a patter on the windows... Looking forward to light!

West Mayo offshore

Met Office “ Tonight:

Clear intervals and further snow showers, more frequent over northern counties and giving some fresh accumulations even to low levels. Minimum temperature -2 °C.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

The guidance switched gears a bit on the 00z GFS, with the former suggestion of lowest 850 mb temps pooling over Ireland somewhat more to the east now, not a huge change overall but it seems to explain why the temperature transition has been more marked in east Ulster than Connacht so far. It's only a matter of time until the colder air takes over in all areas though.

The second cold spell (peaking Friday-Saturday) is now being shown as even more potent with modelled lows of -9 C showing up over Laois (Saturday morning). And that cold spell has little moderation before a third batch settles in from more of a northeasterly source. This month is going to start challenging records if this keeps up, the first four days were relatively mild but not much above normal, next ten days look to average 3-5 deg below normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The guidance switched gears a bit on the 00z GFS, with the former suggestion of lowest 850 mb temps pooling over Ireland somewhat more to the east now, not a huge change overall but it seems to explain why the temperature transition has been more marked in east Ulster than Connacht so far. It's only a matter of time until the colder air takes over in all areas though.

The second cold spell (peaking Friday-Saturday) is now being shown as even more potent with modelled lows of -9 C showing up over Laois (Saturday morning). And that cold spell has little moderation before a third batch settles in from more of a northeasterly source. This month is going to start challenging records if this keeps up, the first four days were relatively mild but not much above normal, next ten days look to average 3-5 deg below normal.

I was just outside to bring coal in, and rounding the corner of the dwelling to face due north was an experience out here. Bitter strong wind. As you rightly say we had some blessedly mild days, and this is a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭koutoubia

Balrothery,North County Dublin.
    I have no idea what height I am at but its not far off Sea Level.
    A nice full on snow shower just passed over about 20mins ago.

On the themometer its warmer in Arklow than this time yesterday
    Currently 5.4c
    Wind north 16kmh
    Lovely day out if you have a fleece and hat

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a sudden drop in temp in Dublin 16 in the last hour. 3.3c atm. Was 5.5c around an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Light snow flakes blowing in the wind Tara, Meath. 2.5c but feels colder.

Not that unusual to get some snow/cold here in April but usually it’s gone quickly. The length of the cold spell forecast is unusual this time. Bad news for farmers and gardeners if it gets as cold as MT forecasts by next weekend.

Light snow flakes here too now unfortunately from a shower hugging the irish sea coast
    Wind howling now due north gusting 42kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Light snow here in the North East.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Light dusting of snow in the hills in Donegal here , didn't expect to see it so soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Significant windchill here now with a gusty wind 3°c. This time yesterday we were having coffee in the garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I had a 20 minute snow shower earlier this morning. Was briefly moderate but never heavy. Was enough to give a slight dusting on the grass.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement