Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭pad199207

Not a bad afternoon here now with good sunshine. Which still feels nice out of the wind. Very dry air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some dandruff in the wind here in East Galway, the frozen kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

solan wrote: »
    I'm in Shetland, we have had gale force winds, blizzards, drifting snow, thunder and lightening with a wind chill of -11. Set in yesterday evening and due to last at least another 36 hours. Its moving southwards.

Would you recommend a trip to Shetland when this Covid thing is over?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Registered Users Posts: 4 solan

Would you recommend a trip to Shetland when this Covid thing is over?

Absolutely! I'm from the North west of Ireland but have been here in Shetland for 17 years. I love it here. If its the sea, wildlife, coastal walks, fishing, photography you are after then yes. Nightlife is a bit crap, there are some amazing restaurants and a top class cinema and arts venue, but pubs and gigs aren't great unless it something specific like the Shetland Folk Festival which is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some dandruff in the wind here in East Galway, the frozen kind.

Same here at times but overall a nice day (when the sun does briefly come out). Very breezy on the ground, yet the clouds appear to be hardly moving.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I have family members on the missus' side telling me that they think global warming and climate change is a myth, yet will accept snow in April with no questions. Okay dokey....

It's a calm and crispy afternoon here in Kilkenny anyway. Nothing to suggest snow yet. Wouldn't mind a bit of snow to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

Absolutely! I'm from the North west of Ireland but have been here in Shetland for 17 years. I love it here. If its the sea, wildlife, coastal walks, fishing, photography you are after then yes. Nightlife is a bit crap, there are some amazing restaurants and a top class cinema and arts venue, but pubs and gigs aren't great unless it something specific like the Shetland Folk Festival which is amazing.

Absolutely completely off topic but I've read all the Shetland series of books by Anne Cleeves which really makes me want to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I have family members on the missus' side telling me that they think global warming and climate change is a myth, yet will accept snow in April with no questions. Okay dokey....
    :confused:

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    :confused:

It was the first thing that came to my head when I heard there was snow coming in April, my first response was leaning over to my other half and saying "tell your sister this then ask her if climate change is real", it's a running gag that I just happened to spill out onto this thread while writing my reply :pac: I tend to write what I'm thinking :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

I don’t think it’s climate change. We have had snow in April before

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s climate change. We have had snow in April before

Very rare though. Let's not forget the drought of 2018 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭jackboy

It was the first thing that came to my head when I heard there was snow coming in April, my first response was leaning over to my other half and saying "tell your sister this then ask her if climate change is real", it's a running gag that I just happened to spill out onto this thread while writing my reply :pac: I tend to write what I'm thinking :D

Thinking snow in April is related to climate change is just as out there as thinking climate change does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Beautiful day in Wexford, bit cooler but nice in the sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Light grauple has turned to light snow in Kells, Meath.

jackboy wrote: »
    Thinking snow in April is related to climate change is just as out there as thinking climate change does not exist.

I always thought it was partly related. I've not been told otherwise. Sorry but geography isn't my strong point so if I'm wrong, explain to me why.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yep, Its coming in waves. I'm on the west side of Shetland too. The wind is biting, dropped back a bit, not gale force at the minute, but still breezy. Ferries and buses have been cancelled and folk told to byde home if they can. Sky is bright here but I can see on the other side of the hill there is another shower coming in. There were buses and cars off the roads this morning and the gritters couldn't keep on top of the drifts in some area's, visibility really bad.

Memories of my Orkney life. I nearly came to Shetland instead of Ireland. Yearning now! Watching youtubes on Alaska..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Another snow flurry in Dublin 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,180 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I wont be going there for the nightlife :) I like to visit remote unspoiled places. I also like fishing and hill walking. It's on the list so! Thanks.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

When is this due to end? Seems the temperature is down all week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

12Z analysis. That cold front will make it all the way to the Mediterannean.

549301.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I was in the Canary Islands in 1998 when we had snow in Galway the front came over the Canaries we had to find shelter from the cold North wind to enjoy the Sun kinda similar to today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Very rare though. Let's not forget the drought of 2018 as well.

Not rare at all, the opposite. More likely to get snow at Easter than Christmas. Posters have given numerous examples of snow at Easter over the last 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

Snowing heavily here in Belgium, last week it was 26C. Madness. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

It's a calm and crispy afternoon here in Kilkenny anyway. Nothing to suggest snow yet. Wouldn't mind a bit of snow to be honest.

I've seen heavy snow in England 40 years ago. At the end of April. Certainly remember a fall around 1998 in Dublin. Rare but certainly nothing to do with climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

There was a bit of snow in Ireland in early April in 2010 if I remember correctly - after that particularly cold winter? My memory of it is a bit hazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,392 ✭✭✭AllForIt

When I was growing up it was common to have days of wintry showers up till end of April, so if anything current weather is how it used to be before all this CC business.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭King of Spades

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I was in the Canary Islands in 1998 when we had snow in Galway the front came over the Canaries we had to find shelter from the cold North wind to enjoy the Sun kinda similar to today

The Good Friday agreement was signed on 10 April 1998 and I remember it was snowing at the announcement.

My weather station doing that over reading nonsense again.. gonna have to get it checked out.

Showers seemed to have died out. Hopefully the uptick forecast tonight comes to fruition as I would like a proper covering.

• Advertisement

It’s annoying because I have no idea what the actual maximum was for my records. In February I had this same issue, temps were about 2c above the actual level, there would be rapid drops as soon as the cloud went in.

The other reason why I know it’s wrong is because the dew point is too high compared to other stations.

(It says 2c but everywhere else is about -2c)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement