Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Even into the middle of that back garden would be better (I see your house on Google Maps). It should be surrounded on all sides by grass, not half tarmac/concrete, which will warm up very easily in direct sunshine and cause those temperature spikes you've been seeing in cold weather.

Anyway, it's up to you. We've repeatedly given advice on this so it's your choice whether to act on it or not.

Well there is nowhere that has no tarmac near my yard. I don’t want my station stolen.

Even if I moved it, it would only be within a few feet of tarmac.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Had over an hour of heavy snow which began as hail in Dunshaughlin. Some of the gardens are fully white. I'm about 2km from the town and no snow at my house at all. Today's snow in Dunshaughlin is about the most snow I have seen fall since 2018. If this was January/February there would be several inches on the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Would there though? Most of the showers in the south are caused by land based convection.

In winter this would yield showers along the coast that would rapidly dissipate as they travelled inland. I noticed last night that the showers were intensifying as they travelled inland, that is abnormal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Oddly I have the same weather here, passing snow showers with a slight accumulation on car tops but melting on sidewalks and roads, very cold for this time of year (barely reached zero C).

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Timistry

Heavy hail shower in Clonmel earlier. A nice covering on the grass and roofs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Well there is nowhere that has no tarmac near my yard. I don’t want my station stolen.

Even if I moved it, it would only be within a few feet of tarmac.

Well even a few feet is better than no feet. It's currently on a fence, on the edge of a tarmac area. In cold, calm conditions heat will rise up off the tarmac and affect your readings. If it's a few feet away from it then that can't happen, unless a light breeze is blowing from that tarmac towards the station.

Where there's a will there's a way.

highdef wrote: »
    North Kildare, looking very slightly South of east, looking towards South Dublin an hour or so ago.

549781.jpg

How high will that yoke fly? Please keep it below 1000 ft! :pac:

Where there's a will there's a way.

If Mammy/Daddy are not willing,theres probably no way unfortunately I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Not many showers at all in Sligo the past 2 days but about 20 hours of sun I'd say. Nice bright skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hard ??rain?? on the windows.

Today I have felt snow on my face! In my eyes...

Unforgettable sensation, Like no other.

I am content.

I had forgotten how evocative and uniquely sensual that is.

Soft ice fragmenting in its utter fragility on warm skin. .

West Mayo offshore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Quite an intense hail shower here earlier today with pea sized hail. Made quite the racket. Wasn't really expecting it either.

New Moon

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Quite an intense hail shower here earlier today with pea sized hail. Made quite the racket. Wasn't really expecting it either.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen a decent hail shower here. Got a good one in Tallaght around lunchtime yesterday and again here in Celbridge this afternoon. Nice to see April showers living up to the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

How high will that yoke fly? Please keep it below 1000 ft! :pac:

120M Max ;)

(or 500) but that would break the rules ,.,,

we had a nice covering of snow this morning , and a heavy snow shower at 08:30 . it was all gone by 10 though . plenty of hail showers thorough the day
    (co Mayo)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

John mac wrote: »
    120M Max ;)

(or 500) but that would break the rules ,.,,

Was definitely below 1,000 feet. You'd think that cloudscapes would look better the higher up you go but in reality once you go above a certain (not very high) height, the views are not as good as you would think.

Gorgeous morning in North Kildare. Beautiful sunrise with the sun popping up over the huge swathe of cumulonimbus clouds covering a large part of the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Woke up to a winter wonderland! I wasn't really expecting that. Blue sky day here in NW Donegal so probably won't last too long.

An icy glory.

Snow -scattered mountains, and grass crunching underfoot ( that surprised) Clear blue skies and the ocean a glass lake; flat calm as it so rarely is. A motionless mirror.

AND SO COLD. Iced lungs.... fingers clumsy.

Utterly still. So quiet it seeks that you hold your breath.

west mayo offshore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Some wintry scenes from yesterday afternoon in North Kildare. Very much thrown together......won't be winning any cinematography awards!!!!

Some wintry scenes from yesterday afternoon in North Kildare. Very much thrown together......won't be winning any cinematography awards!!!!

They are lovely; thank you!

I pondered getting a drone - but there is too much ocean here on every side... lol...

Super

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I had a nice surprise when I opened the curtains and looked out the window at 6:30 this morning, it reminded me of times gone by when I would look out the window to see unexpected snow fall. There was a decent covering of snow too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Parts of Donegal did well last night again. Looks to be a couple of cm in the first pic. Taken from Kens twitter page.

Pic 1 Ardara
    Pic 2 Mt Errigal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Graupel showers in Kildare now

pad199207 wrote: »
    Graupel showers in Kildare now

Nothing at all in Celbridge so far today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Graces7 wrote: »
    An icy glory.

Snow -scattered mountains, and grass crunching underfoot ( that surprised) Clear blue skies and the ocean a glass lake; flat calm as it so rarely is. A motionless mirror.

AND SO COLD. Iced lungs.... fingers clumsy.

Utterly still. So quiet it seeks that you hold your breath.

west mayo offshore

Graces7, where does the snowline start on the reek (if any)?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭YoshiReturns

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Parts of Donegal did well last night again. Looks to be a couple of cm in the first pic. Taken from Kens twitter page.

Pic 1 Ardara
    Pic 2 Mt Errigal

Beautiful, wasn't expecting that and it nearly mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,175 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nothing at all in Celbridge so far today.

Shower clouds look like they’re out your direction

Graces7, where does the snowline start on the reek (if any)?

Not enough snow anywhere near to think about a snowline. There was a scattering early today but wind and rain have all but cleared it.

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen a decent hail shower here. Got a good one in Tallaght around lunchtime yesterday and again here in Celbridge this afternoon. Nice to see April showers living up to the name.

Old wisdom; " April showers bring May flowers.."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was some snow on cars and ground first thing this morning in Sligo but I was too hungover to care. Oops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭John mac

549873.JPG
    this was saturday morning , snow had gone from low level at the time . ~09:00

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement