Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Much colder, wintry showers, some of snow Easter Sunday 2021 onward

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    I am not seeing a cap in this sounding:

OHIFw23.png

It's right there, slight at 750 but strong at 650 hPa.

500 hPa temperature there only -25. Over the UK it will be -40, much more conducive for deep convection. We need >42 degrees between the surface and 500 hPa for polar lows to form.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

In February there was a rapid rise at 800mb and above, I still managed to get some snow showers. This is not the same.

Polar Lows only create warm sectors, they can stay away.

In February there was a rapid rise at 800mb and above. This is not the same.

Polar Lows only create warm sectors they can stay away.

Correct, it was much shallower back then. All I'm saying is that the -40 °C 500 hPa cold pool showing in runs earlier in the week has shifted well to the east, and with it the heaviest showers (and hence coldest downdrafts).

In February there was a rapid rise at 800mb and above, I still managed to get some snow showers. This is not the same.

Polar Lows only create warm sectors, they can stay away.

Tell that to a Norwegian fishing vessel caught in the middle of one. They're potent little feckers, with whiteout conditions in many.

Lows almost always bring a warm sector down in through Donegal and Islay.

As I said no thanks.

• Advertisement

Lows almost always bring a warm sector down in through Donegal and Islay.

As I said no thanks.

I'm talking about a proper Polar Low.

http://eumetrain.org/resources.html?page=1&cgry=-1&thm=Polar+Low&ctry=-1&months=-1&years=-1&author=-1&sat=-1&instr=-1&prod=-1&level=-1&recent=false&sorter=-1

Yes it would warm and mix out the colder air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes it would warm and mix out the colder air.[/QUOTE

The older folk on here know what a true polar low means.
    They don't have a warm sector but a true polar low hasnt been seen for possibly 30 + years

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

It was 26C here in Brussels mid-week and it looks like it'll be subzero with snow overnight on Monday and Tuesday. Feels more like the middle of Russia or Canada with such a huge temperature variation.

Yes it would warm and mix out the colder air.[/QUOTE

The older folk on here know what a true polar low means.
    They don't have a warm sector but a true polar low hasnt been seen for possibly 30 + years

I have a Meteorology bachelors degree. I am quite aware as to what a Polar Low is as well.

“ A Polar Low is a meso-scale cyclone with a warm core only existing in a cold airmass at quite a distance from the polar front. ”

https://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/wmovl/vrl/tutorials/satmanu-eumetsat/satmanu/cms/pl/backgr.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The ECM and ICON were showing that eastern focus yesterday so the GFS is now picking up on it too.

Note too that 850 hPa will be around 200 m higher than it was back in the February event, so the same actual altitude amsl on Monday will be around 2 degrees warmer than at 850 hPa (-7 or -8)

I see. I never looked at the charts until today. Was just reading in here and xcweather for a quick breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭pauldry

Another non event.

What a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Massive downgrade on the Rte weather at half 9. Joanna back tracking alot on recent forecasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

We haven't had a 'toppler' in years but back in the days where they were a relatively common feature they'd always get shunted east closer to the event. Looks like the same is happening this time

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Ah well. Who wants all that cold weather in April anyway? As much as I love snow, I want it between November and the end of February. Yet more backtracking by many....

Right, as this has been downgraded, that's me done on here until later this year, unless something mega dramatic weather wise kicks off between now and then... which being Ireland, is not likely.

Adios.

I know the pressure is high and it may be grasping at straws, but ICON does show quite a few snow showers for northern and north western parts.

SLl9rPe.jpg

siWNtVN.jpg

MHkv9e6.jpg

WYz3rfc.jpg

There is a slight SW push of cold air on Tuesday.

Zv0HDyg.jpg

Ah well. Who wants all that cold weather in April anyway? As much as I love snow, I want it between November and the end of February. Yet more backtracking by many....

Right, as this has been downgraded, that's me done on here until later this year, unless something mega dramatic weather wise kicks off between now and then... which being Ireland, is not likely.

Adios.

The 850 hpa temps have not been downgraded so don't be giving up hope yet.:) I think we could still get snow showers.

And i'm still questioning this sudden change at the last moment, it will be now casting. I will be watching the satellite image to see what way things are moving. Remember initially it was supposed to be mid Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Massive downgrade on the Rte weather at half 9. Joanna back tracking alot on recent forecasts.

Good :D

Anyway, few seem to care anymore. The cold spell is still on it's way, however, as GL alluded to the upper levels beyond the 850hPa level have warmed up; this does not affect precipitation type or surface temps.

GFS 18z:

The colder air takes a little while to flow in, 10pm, sharp temp gradient still there but not as extreme:
    W57d7ia.jpg

NeqmKE7.jpg

4am:
    7uWvR9m.jpg
    ujptsG4.jpg

8am, large gradient across the island, -12c in Ulster, 1c in SW Cork:
    MzGCeTG.jpg
    NDjIGJO.jpg

5pm Monday:
    op2vfHI.jpg
    AaIJzg2.jpg
    w7dS3QE.jpg

5pm Tuesday:
    NDch2Rb.jpg
    FYVIIKo.jpg
    lxgtCTA.jpg

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but yes the cold spell has downgraded in intensity. It is still coming but the cold air at the surface will be restricted to Ulster with southern areas having highs as much as 7-8c, in sunshine.

Ulster does appear to have a risk of some light, potentially moderate snow showers despite the higher air pressure. This may just be graupel as in the Easterly, it's difficult to know at this stage. Highs here are predicted to be 2-4c on Monday and Tuesday.

This could all revert back tomorrow, though the risk is low sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Kunta Kinte

Adios.

Be careful out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Will there be decent snow on high ground (Connemara >500m)?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Will there be decent snow on high ground (Connemara >500m)?

Sorry, but probably not. It'll most likely be sunny there. Maybe a few graupel showers, the issue is not with the temperatures but the air pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Adios.

Downgrade. Great news. On with the gardening :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Intensity and frequency of showers look less then previously shown for Sunday night into Monday. Monday probably more showers in the Northern half and mostly in Northern coastal counties, wintry and as has been said more in the way of shallow convection, still could get a few hail showers, looking like a low risk of thunderstorm activity. Should be good bright spells the further S on Monday. Fresh and blustery winds later Sunday into Monday, strong on Northern coasts for a time, Monday fresh winds moving down from the N giving a pronounced Windchill.

Monday - Tuesday look like having more of a chance of wintry precipitation in Northern counties, perhaps snow possible but small amounts on lower levels if any I would have thought, mostly hill and Mountains.

HGvdNKV.png

Intensity and frequency of showers look less then previously shown for Sunday night into Monday. Monday probably more showers in the Northern half and mostly in Northern coastal counties, wintry and as has been said more shallow convection. Should be good bright spells the further S on Monday. Fresh and blustery winds later Sunday into Monday, strong on Northern coasts for a time, Monday fresh winds moving down from the N giving a pronounced Windchill.

Monday - Tuesday look like having more of a chance of wintry precipitation in Northern counties, perhaps snow possible but small amounts on lower levels if any I would have thought, mostly hill and Mountains.

HGvdNKV.png

Do you think this will be like the easterly with mostly light graupel showers, or could we have something more substantial (in terms of shower intensity?)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Do you think this will be like the easterly with mostly light graupel showers, or could we have something more substantial (in terms of shower intensity?)?

Not sure really. Maybe something like starting off with some rain / sleet, some light snow flurries early Monday morning and if there is a source for precipitation then could turn more wintry with more snow flurries during Monday and the models seem to be showing this. Probably a few light hail showers possible during Monday, just my layman's opinion mind you.

The models have eased off on the amount of precipitation, a lot of the weather heading more East as can be seen in the Fax chart as the HP out west muscles in. But as ever lots of unknowns and will be interesting to see the charts tomorrow and Sunday and then watching the data and reports coming in.

lXVKYZF.gif

ZjEyXDE.png

Sso2mIQ.gif

Matty (I think) on radio one there
    Highs of 12 to 14 on tuesday
    I'll take that :D
    Wintry showers on mountains in west munster and north connaught monday
    No mention of ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Downgrade. Great news. On with the gardening :)

Exactly. Wonderful.

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Matty (I think) on radio one there
    Highs of 12 to 14 on tuesday
    I'll take that :D
    Wintry showers on mountains in west munster and north connaught monday
    No mention of ulster

Not a chance.

• Advertisement

The cold air is still on it's way and is still as potent as initially forecast. I am using the 6Z ICON.

Freezing levels are low on Monday, about 300-400 metres in Ulster:
    085WTAy.jpg

Very low Dew Points:
    lez7W63.jpg

Max of 3-4c over Ulster:
    Kv9Ca5D.jpg

Periodic snow showers, though look very light at times, sadly:
    QiroRFZ.jpg

More snow on Monday night:
    9NR2YEU.jpg

Tuesday warms up, freezing levels around 500 metres:
    jBNFXyw.jpg

Icon has an undercutting low come through:
    z9pEfdE.jpg

This has been forecasted on a few runs of ICON now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement