Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Factory Build Home/Modular Homes

Options
  • 31-03-2021 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Given the current housing market I'm seriously considering purchasing a site and building a factory built house. These are A rated and meet all building regulations, some companies even offer a 25 year structural warrenty. My concern is these aren't around long enough to be properly judged. What will the resale value be in 10/20 years? I'm interested to hear opinions, advice, concerns, experience etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Biker1

jayo94 wrote: »
    Given the current housing market I'm seriously considering purchasing a site and building a factory built house. These are A rated and meet all building regulations, some companies even offer a 25 year structural warrenty. My concern is these aren't around long enough to be properly judged. What will the resale value be in 10/20 years? I'm interested to hear opinions, advice, concerns, experience etc.

I would proceed with caution. Get a professional to check whether they do indeed comply with all the regulations, especially Part L & F. 25 years is a short enough guarantee also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭dubrov

I don't think you'll find any savings going with a factory built house as it will still need to meet building regs

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you give an example?
    Does a 25 year structural guarantee meet the robustness Part A of the Building Regulations and the design life of the building requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Just something to consider, as this is being supplied as a finished element to you please note the entire unit needs to be certified as a unit/system, not just the individual elements. I have experience working closely with a commercial version of this type of construction and i have toyed with the idea of this in the past myself, basically its cost that will be a problem, the cost only makes since in very high labor cost areas such as London/NewYork etc

You also need to consider house insurance in the future as this is not standard construction, same goes for mortgages too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jayo94

Gumbo wrote: »
    Can you give an example?
    Does a 25 year structural guarantee meet the robustness Part A of the Building Regulations and the design life of the building requirements.

If you search modularhomesireland/factorybuilthomes you will see the type of house I'm looking at. It's stated as being built to International Building Code Regulations. I've also seen elsewhere that it complies with American guidelines so it's fitnto withstand hurricanes etc. I see some people questioning the 25 year structural guarantee which seems great to me as an estate being built close to me are advertising a 10 year structural guarantee.

• Advertisement

dubrov wrote: »
    I don't think you'll find any savings going with a factory built house as it will still need to meet building regs

They state it meets building regs. What I like is there is a set price. I know nothing about building costs so terrified to try going direct labour as I fear my budget wouldn't last long. Although I have been told I should be able to build an identical block built house for the same price if I went direct labour but I have my doubts.

Biker1 wrote: »
    I would proceed with caution. Get a professional to check whether they do indeed comply with all the regulations, especially Part L & F. 25 years is a short enough guarantee also.

Thank you. It is stated on their website that they meet Part L standards. Obviously I would need proof of all this before getting serious about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

If you're buying a site and building a house on the site why exactly are you looking at the factory built and not a traditional build? What's the advantage you're looking for? Time, cost, etc?

Going half way you could get a timber frame house where the structural timber frame is made in the factory and delivered and erected on site. This will get it up quicker than blockwork and is very common and easy to sign off / meet building regulations.

Dudda wrote: »
    If you're buying a site and building a house on the site why exactly are you looking at the factory built and not a traditional build? What's the advantage you're looking for? Time, cost, etc?

Going half way you could get a timber frame house where the structural timber frame is made in the factory and delivered and erected on site. This will get it up quicker than blockwork and is very common and easy to sign off / meet building regulations.

The cost is fixed which is a big selling point for me and the speed at which it can be built. I know exactly how much it will cost, all I read elsewhere is how much materials have gone up, difficulty finding trademens etc. Admittedly I haven't got any builders to price it just yet. I'm open to all ideas and construction methods but only have a modest budget of approx €200'000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

International Building Code Regulations.

There's no such thing.

Ask them to prove it complies with the Irish Building Regulations. If it does then you're sorted - but the price will be roughly the same as building it using any of the other prevalent methods.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,545 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If you search modularhomesireland/factorybuilthomes you will see the type of house I'm looking at. It's stated as being built to International Building Code Regulations. I've also seen elsewhere that it complies with American guidelines so it's fitnto withstand hurricanes etc. I see some people questioning the 25 year structural guarantee which seems great to me as an estate being built close to me are advertising a 10 year structural guarantee.

Ive had a look at their spec online

i would be highly surprised if their turn keys products come in any cheaper that a regular block build house.

you will be paying for the speed of construction and the factory tolerances.

its imperative though that they must be able to provide you with certification for all applicable Irish Building regulations.. not just Part L.

Simply saying it complies and passing certification onto others isnt good enough

I’m waiting on their engineer to call me back with regards to certification etc

Your mixing up the guarantee here with the equivalent homebond or similar guarantee.

They also will not provide the timber finish for a dwelling in most cases as they state that the planners don’t like it one bit. So you have to go for a tendered finish.

I’m waiting on their engineer to call me back with regards to certification etc

Your mixing up the guarantee here with the equivalent homebond or similar guarantee.

They also will not provide the timber finish for a dwelling in most cases as they state that the planners don’t like it one bit. So you have to go for a tendered finish.

Thanks for that. I've no interest in the timber finish personally, I'm like the planners and don't like it one bit :D

There's no such thing.

Ask them to prove it complies with the Irish Building Regulations. If it does then you're sorted - but the price will be roughly the same as building it using any of the other prevalent methods.

You reckon you could build a 195 square meter house fully fitted with bathroom, kitchen (less appliances), flooring, doors & windows, all wiring/plumbing for less than €200'000? I was of the opinion that building costs have gone through the roof. If that's the case I'd just build with normal construction methods.

You reckon you could build a 195 square meter house fully fitted with bathroom, kitchen (less appliances), flooring, doors & windows, all wiring/plumbing for less than €200'000? I was of the opinion that building costs have gone through the roof. If that's the case I'd just build with normal construction methods.

whats the cost of a 195 sq m unit?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    whats the cost of a 195 sq m unit?

€192000 including VAT is the option I'm considering. According to the company this is included:
    • Fitted kitchen including sink and extractor fan, you get your own appliances. You have a choice of kitchen colours and worktops.
    • Bathrooms fitted, includes shower, toilet and wash hand basin .
    • Laminate/carpet floors, you have a choice of colours. All skirting, doors, architraves.
    • All wiring, sockets, switches , LED lights ,RECI certified.
    • All plumbing and connection to water and septic/storage tank.
    • Fully insulated roof, walls, floors 200mm Kingspan insulation.
    • Windows and door double glazed AA rated glass
    • Installation on site.
    • €10,000 allowance for a heating system of the customers choice.
    ° on site engineers fee's (create plans and submit for planning)

As mentioned I no very little about construction but to me that seems like good value. My biggest concern is there will be no resale value at all. It would be purchased to live in long term but don't want to be in negative equity for my life.

€192000 including VAT is the option I'm considering. According to the company this is included:
    • Fitted kitchen including sink and extractor fan, you get your own appliances. You have a choice of kitchen colours and worktops.
    • Bathrooms fitted, includes shower, toilet and wash hand basin .
    • Laminate/carpet floors, you have a choice of colours. All skirting, doors, architraves.
    • All wiring, sockets, switches , LED lights ,RECI certified.
    • All plumbing and connection to water and septic/storage tank.
    • Fully insulated roof, walls, floors 200mm Kingspan insulation.
    • Windows and door double glazed AA rated glass
    • Installation on site.
    • €10,000 allowance for a heating system of the customers choice.
    ° on site engineers fee's (create plans and submit for planning)

As mentioned I no very little about construction but to me that seems like good value. My biggest concern is there will be no resale value at all. It would be purchased to live in long term but don't want to be in negative equity for my life.

even when you add in approx €50,000 for foundations, effluent treatment, site works / driveways etc... that still works out as a decent "per sq m" figure.

but you certainly wont be getting a 195 sq m house on a greenfield site for €200,000

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Not a prayer, will cost away more by the time you comply with regs

What MT is saying, is that by the time you alter their website price to comply with our regulations, Foundations and certification, it will most likely be the same price as traditional build.

You have to ask yourself, if you think this is genuinely a cheaper way to build a house in Ireland, why is it not mass adopted?

It’s also a case of building a massive house when the budget allows for a house half the size. Why 195 square meters if you have to explore cheap building methods?

What MT is saying, is that by the time you alter their website price to comply with our regulations, Foundations and certification, it will most likely be the same price as traditional build.

You have to ask yourself, if you think this is genuinely a cheaper way to build a house in Ireland, why is it not mass adopted?

It’s also a case of building a massive house when the budget allows for a house half the size. Why 195 square meters if you have to explore cheap building methods?

If its going to cost the same as a traditional build I'm not interested. But opinions differ, some say a tradional build is doable others say not a chance. Personally I have no clue, hence I'm asking for opinions.

My opinion is this it's a relatively new concept to Ireland and people, including me, are understandably skeptical. It could take off or be a fad.

From my perspective, a cramped new 3-bed semi D in my area is upwards of €275000. I have no desire to live in an estate with 100 other houses, unless I've no choice. I'm just trying to figure out if it's possible to build a house in my area that will comfortably fit a family of 5 with a decent garden and some privacy. The house doesn't have to be that size, it can be smaller, I'm just going off their options and the most suitable for me is their 195sm option. But it begs the question, if you think the budget only allows for a house half that size why would I not consider this option if I can get twice as much for the same money? Its an interesting debate, its great to get some insight and opinions from everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

The lads above have already answered the question as I would have but just to be clear - you definitely won't be able to do that for €200k but neither will any "modular" company.

The headline figure might say €200k but when you add in all the necessary items to make the building comply with the building regs, sit on the site, deal with your effluent and water, etc. etc. you'll be well above 200k no matter what style of construction you use.

The lads above have already answered the question as I would have but just to be clear - you definitely won't be able to do that for €200k but neither will any "modular" company.

The headline figure might say €200k but when you add in all the necessary items to make the building comply with the building regs, sit on the site, deal with your effluent and water, etc. etc. you'll be well above 200k no matter what style of construction you use.

Absolutely, I'm not expecting to be sitting pretty in a new build for €200k.

The cost is fixed which is a big selling point for me and the speed at which it can be built. I know exactly how much it will cost, all I read elsewhere is how much materials have gone up, difficulty finding trademens etc. Admittedly I haven't got any builders to price it just yet. I'm open to all ideas and construction methods but only have a modest budget of approx €200'000.
    Absolutely, I'm not expecting to be sitting pretty in a new build for €200k.

sorry... but how do equate these two statements?

sorry... but how do equate these two statements?

I have a decent deposit saved, €200k is what I can get from the banks.

I have a decent deposit saved, €200k is what I can get from the banks.

so your budget isnt 200k then

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jmBuildExt

OP - See can you cross reference any of the names in the testimonials with a planning application.
    One of them narrows it down quite a bit. i.e. an area and a name.
    Won't tell you the finished cost - but if you are serious about investigating it, you might be able to track someone down to talk to apart from the co. themselves.

jmBuildExt wrote: »
    OP - See can you cross reference any of the names in the testimonials with a planning application.
    One of them narrows it down quite a bit. i.e. an area and a name.
    Won't tell you the finished cost - but if you are serious about investigating it, you might be able to track someone down to talk to apart from the co. themselves.

Thank you, proper advice and something I haven't thought of.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭Deeec

Jayo how much do you have to spend on the site? Affordable sites that you will get planning on are hard to find in most areas.
    Getting planning permission could also be an issue. I would think spending €275K on a house in an estate would be a much cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Have you checked with the council if you will be able to build a one off house? Are there any sites available for building or will you need change of use and how much will the site cost?

I'd be doing that before I start pricing the cost to build.

• Advertisement

so your budget isnt 200k then[/quote

I might be able to get buy a site get planning/groundworks/foundation done with deposit. Leaving me with 200k from the bank build the house. Am I in dreamland or is it maybe achievable. Some advice and info is all I'm looking for.

Advertisement