Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations for a basic Enigma2 box

• 31-03-2021 12:31am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭

Got a new LG smart TV for the kitchen today. All good except, going from terrestrial to satellite is a PITA.

I've a Tiviar in the living room and was wondering could anyone recommend a basic Enigma 2 box. Twin feed for recording wouldn't be an issue. It would just be used for watching TV. I'd hopefully put on the same skin as the Tiviar and everybody could use it without any confusion.

Up to now we'd been using an old sky box via scart. New TV doesn't support scart so that box can go to the recycling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think that if you press and hold the '1' key on remote you can assign a quick channel. If you set that to RTÉ 1, and then assign 2 to be BBC 1, you can quickly flick between saorview and freesat feeds.

Might be worth trying at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

dulpit wrote: »
    I think that if you press and hold the '1' key on remote you can assign a quick channel. If you set that to RTÉ 1, and then assign 2 to be BBC 1, you can quickly flick between saorview and freesat feeds.

Thanks. I'll try that when I get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

It's called Quick Access
    Press & hold “0” button on remote to open Quick Access window on screen.

https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help/CT20150005-20150384421089

If RTE1 is channel 1, then only need to set any satellite channel to long press 2 (or any other up to 9).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Thanks for the replies.

That 1-9 system worked just grand. That's about as many channels that get watched in the kitchen between 5 and 9 anyway.

We've been very busy since getting the TV and haven't had a chance to go through it properly. I'll look at setting up a favourites list and see how it goes after that. If I need a 7 day EPG, it's in the next room or on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

If anyone has suggestions for a box I'd also appreciate. Have a crappy Blazer box currently for FTA and saorview channels but can't edit sat channels easily so would like an upgrade. Reading a lot of posts about Tiviars or else Zgemma H7s? No problem getting stuck into some thing a bit technical (but not massively :) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Darando wrote: »
    If anyone has suggestions for a box I'd also appreciate. Have a crappy Blazer box currently for FTA and saorview channels but can't edit sat channels easily so would like an upgrade. Reading a lot of posts about Tiviars or else Zgemma H7s? No problem getting stuck into some thing a bit technical (but not massively :) )

They require a bit of knowledge to set up (or just use someone else's image) but once properly set up are very simple to use and keep running.

They are endlessly customisable but you don't have to bother with that if you don't want to, a standard install will do all the functions most people need without any fuss. Most of the lengthy discussions on the other threads are people trying to alter the boxes beyond basic use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

Just stick to the big brands (Zgemma, Amiko, Edition, Gigablue etc.) and you should be fine.

They all tend to use the same chips anyway. The choice really depends on what you need (number and type of tuners, ram, wifi, ports, Android etc.).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Bigdig69

dulpit wrote: »

This works. I have been doing it on an LG bought in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dubrov

You just need to use the numbers to switch between satellite and terrestrial. I.e you set RTE1 to one and BBC1 to 3. Once you have switched, you can use the up/down buttons or channel list to browse.

Saorview should already have a 7 day epg. For satellite, most LG tvs have freesat which provides the 7 day epg. You will probably need to set the tv region to uk and retune freesat.

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to mix terrestrial and satellite channels on a single favorites list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Tiviar is old tech, so IMO you would be better off with a Zgemma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Darando

The Tiviar is old tech, so IMO you would be better off with a Zgemma.

Thanks folks, I'll have a look for the zgemma h7s, looks like satworld will be my best priced option due to Brexit.

Johnboy- your IPTV setup from other threads prob just a bit beyond me :) even though all cables etc in place!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Johnboy- your IPTV setup from other threads prob just a bit beyond me :) even though all cables etc in place!

It does not suit everybody and most people would not require its functions, but there are other options when using Enigma2 boxes such as those you mention for accessing channels on your LAN which might be useful.
    Something to investigate once you have the main box set up. ;)

Advertisement