Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New org in Ireland

Options
  • 31-03-2021 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭

Target Shotgun Assoc of Ireland.

https://shotgun.ie/

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Lovely looking range they've got, but won't it fall foul of the not-having-ammo-near-a-puddle rule?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

That is indeed a nifty looking range.

I would be interested to see what courses of fire they might set up.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

No mention on their site where they are located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

I'm sure @Clivej will know where they are, he is big into that sport. It looks good, i'd be interested in having a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Don't be fooled by the pics looks like South African ranges, just a wee bit outside the travel restrictions at the mo lol.
    Good dedicated bunch of lads and they know how to shoot, good luck to them with this fairly new discipline to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭jb88

I need to remind myself that I along with Gerry Conlon and Clive were shooting Target shotgun competitively in Bisley for Ireland at the Phoenix event, long before we ever heard of these guys.

That being said Dean did offer me some advice on the firing line once, but I think the RO was more shocked asking me who he thought this guy was offering advice on the firing line. Its funny how things evolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭BSA International

They mention "courses". Hopefully not another attempt to get cash from shooters just to participate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

They mention "courses". Hopefully not another attempt to get cash from shooters just to participate?

Cool if they want to offer courses, a big no-no if they want to exclusively give courses. EG. You cannot shoot unless we say so, ala scovi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Oh the pain of it all, and me having just sold both my target shotgun firearms and equipment. A nicer bunch of guy's it would be hard to find. They will give you all the info you could ever need (until you start getting good and beating them, then you'd only get abuse :p;) )
    I think their club range would be The Midlands. With competitions being held at some of the NASRPC national events.
    A great discipline to get into and a nice big hole in the targets.

Ok the disciplines shot are mainly the same as the Gallery Rifle competitions. With both pump and semi-auto.
    T&P1, Multi Target, Embassy Cup, and 100y and 200y.

You will need a restricted shotgun that holds at least 6 slug cartridges, and has some sort of a sight on top red dot, or telescopic with low magifcation.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭badaj0z

Will we see a Bench Rest variation of this discipline?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

badaj0z wrote: »

not more guys looking at wind flags:p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

badaj0z wrote: »

Wouldn't think so. Benchrest is 22lr only. Sure the slug is the size of the target

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

tudderone wrote: »
    Cool if they want to offer courses, a big no-no if they want to exclusively give courses. EG. You cannot shoot unless we say so, ala scovi.

One course I did with them was an introduction to the sport in the Midlands about 3 years ago which covered the guns, positions, course of fire,etc. Was buckshee gratis and for nowt. So couldn't see that changing much if you want to get folks into the sport.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭freddieot

I did the same course Grizz. Nice gang of lads and personally learned a lot. I've got a 1301 since then so will be giving it a whirl, once the imprisonment is over....

I have to say I got the impression they were just in it for the love of the game so to speak, not for making money off the back of it.

Providing a course is a formal way of making sure everyone is on the same page from a safety and also competition rules and course of fire format perspective. Again, I have no issue with that as long as any cost is just to cover running expenses etc.

I remember one of the best things about IPSC was that the guys next to you, no matter how much varied experience they had, were sure to have done the exact same basic training course. That adds a comfort feel whether shooting 9mm, 223 or in this case Slugs.

Advertisement